71.43%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

BMR or Strano Lowering Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
What a country... cheaper, and "nearly the same"... $20 is the difference between the knock-off and the original. The difference between about 5 gallons of fuel for something that will be on the car for years.

To each his own, I guess that's why Wal-Mart is so busy.
Funny....I believe that your springs are made by Vogtland, but painted white instead of the traditional Vogtland color. Do your Strano Springs carry a design patent? If not, there is no infringement on your spring design making the BMR branded springs not a Knock-Off of another spring. On a side note, may I ask, why a white colored spring?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed BMR but only because the Strano's have been on backorder it seems like forever, but thats what happens when you have a quality part. As far as ride goes, mine is actually better than before. I;m gonna say probably because my shocks are about shot and the stock springs are so soft. But with the stiffer spring i'm not hitting bump stops everywhere i go
Old 06-28-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cali_bear2003
Funny....I believe that your springs are made by Vogtland, but painted white instead of the traditional Vogtland color. Do your Strano Springs carry a design patent? If not, there is no infringement on your spring design making the BMR branded springs not a Knock-Off of another spring. On a side note, may I ask, why a white colored spring?
He drove a white car.. why not a white spring? And he didn't radically redesign the spring, he merely came up with a ratio that he felt best complemented our cars. He did such a good job setting the ratio that another bigger company made a similar spring with nearly all the same aspects to it. Sounds like a knock off to me.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Spring rate, and the R&D behind it. Sam didn't ask Vogtland to make a generic "lowering/handling" spring for him - he track-tested and picked the specific rates he wanted.

"Knock-off" refers to that same exact spring rate, but I'm not going to get into the sponsor-vs-sponsor thing.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

You drive a GM car, is it a Chevette?

My springs are made by Vogtland *to my specs* which are different than their production springs by quite a lot at both ends. The only think similar is the material. See, this is where being honest sucks. I never hid the fact I have them make my springs for me, and that allows people who are easily swayed to be told, well.... lies, by others that mine are just relabeled Vogtland production springs. It's pretty sad really. Maybe I shouldn't be so skeptical, maybe it's just ignorance that causes the misinformation to be spread and not actually intent. No matter what, it's incorrect information.

It's kind of hard to patent a coil-spring, in general they are all pretty similar.... but suddenly one became a lot more similar than every before. I'm sure Mercedes Benz isn't happy with the Chinese cars that look like theirs, but what can you do? Doesn't make those Chinese cars MB's, does it?

And why white? Well my car is white.... but really it had to do with folks being able to easily identify my springs. Red, Blue, Black are all common, and i wasn't doing yellow or orange, or purple, etc. Since you can't see the freaking things I didn't think it was was a big deal.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-28-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude just because his springs are made by a different company but to his exact specs doesn't mean they aren't his springs. He races and wins with his springs and has very many pleased and happy customers. So if it was me choosing I would go with Strano.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You drive a GM car, is it a Chevette?

My springs are made by Vogtland *to my specs* which are different than their production springs by quite a lot at both ends. The only think similar is the material. See, this is where being honest sucks. I never hid the fact I have them make my springs for me, and that allows people who are easily swayed to be told, well.... lies, by others that mine are just relabeled Vogtland production springs. It's pretty sad really. Maybe I shouldn't be so skeptical, maybe it's just ignorance that causes the misinformation to be spread and not actually intent. No matter what, it's incorrect information.

It's kind of hard to patent a coil-spring, in general they are all pretty similar.... but suddenly one became a lot more similar than every before. I'm sure Mercedes Benz isn't happy with the Chinese cars that look like theirs, but what can you do? Doesn't make those Chinese cars MB's, does it?

And why white? Well my car is white.... but really it had to do with folks being able to easily identify my springs. Red, Blue, Black are all common, and i wasn't doing yellow or orange, or purple, etc. Since you can't see the freaking things I didn't think it was was a big deal.
Old thread I know... But I was wondering if your springs came in a different color & also what shocks do you guys suggest???
Old 03-06-2012, 01:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Old thread I know... But I was wondering if your springs came in a different color & also what shocks do you guys suggest???
He clearly stated they come in white so their not like every other spring, not something you can choose. Shouldnt matter anyway since they arent seen. With the big sale on Konis going on until the end of May, why not buy the best when their 20% off..
Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

My springs are only white. You can paint them whatever you like. I recommend Koni's first for serious performance, and Bilstein's if you want something decent and saving a few bucks. But you do get what you pay for with shocks in terms of how good the control is.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

My springs are only white. You can paint them whatever you like. I recommend Koni's first for serious performance, and Bilstein's if you want something decent and saving a few bucks. But you do get what you pay for with shocks in terms of how good the control is.
Sam, would Koni's be overkill on a car that may never see the track?
Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Sam, would Koni's be overkill on a car that may never see the track?
Absolutely not, but that's just my opinion given my current setup, road conditions, and ride comfort preferences.

They can't be overkill compared to any other aftermarket spring out there. The springrates are not extremely stiff. Probably around avg for what's available.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I doubt 30% of the folks that have Koni's, and who love them, have ever done a track day or an autocross. The fact is they damp mass and motion and those things exist on the road too.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

^What Sam said. I had the SLP Bilsteins and matching springs. Good combo for cruising, dd whatever. I loved the upgrade from stock but felt the damping was still a little soft for my taste. The Konis have way more control over the Camaros mass. These are matched with Strano springs incidentally.
There is far less float over bumps, the car is more responsive overall. Plus using your Hex key to tailor the ride is nice too...
Old 03-13-2012, 03:26 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

pewter2002, thank you very much for that post. That is the kind of information I love to see from folks. For the rest, basically think of a Bilstein as a Koni set full soft. Most folks with Koni's don't opt to run them at full soft--and they certainly have that option.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I would go with BMR springs for a simple fact. Whether the public or Sam agrees with me or not, it is my opinion and the feeling I get. Strano is very knowledgable with suspension geometry but he has been nothing but rude in many instances to many people including myself, one of those high horse kind of attitudes like a young Lieutenant. Customer service is a deal maker or breaker for me. I'll spend a more money with a company that sounds like they want my business.

I'm sure his springs are a great product, but I won't buy them. I love my Hotchkis springs. BMR is a great company all around. From an actual car performance standpoint, it seems you can't go wrong either way.

Take your negative reviews in the same attitude you take your positives.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Strano is very knowledgable with suspension geometry but he has been nothing but rude in many instances to many people including myself, one of those high horse kind of attitudes like a young Lieutenant. Customer service is a deal maker or breaker for me. I'll spend a more money with a company that sounds like they want my business.
From what I've seen, Sam, like everyone else, will defend himself when he's "attacked", which is very much the same thing I'd do. Considering it is his company, he can run it the way he likes, and personally I'd rather have someone who is straight up rather than trying to be nice and still dick me around. If you know ****, you know ****...and from many instances I've seen, even if they aren't customers, he'll try to help people get what is best for their personal setups if he has the time.

However, I personally was set on going with his springs and the Koni setup before this sale. Now that the sale is on, I'm having a hard time doing it for the simple fact of the BMR springs being free with purchase.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you guys for the kind words about our company and products.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I purchased my springs from sam...but i agree 100%....weather he knows his **** or not...and weather he can run his company how he wants or not...he still has a Mr know it all attitude with me and (us) as stupid and no nothing people.....

so kiss his *** all you want........you wont get **** for it....LOL

just my opinion.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
I purchased my springs from sam...but i agree 100%....weather he knows his **** or not...and weather he can run his company how he wants or not...he still has a Mr know it all attitude with me and (us) as stupid and no nothing people.....

so kiss his *** all you want........you wont get **** for it....LOL

just my opinion.
Who's trying to get something? I already stated I'm not going with his package pretty much...there's a point after you've answered the same question 100 times where it starts to get old...and he knows more than anybody else posting regularly here from what I've seen regarding suspension, so...

Quick Reply: BMR or Strano Lowering Springs?