Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR 1" lowering A Arms, Stranos, and Konis. PICS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 04:51 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
OP, can you please take some new pictures showing the area of the A-Arms where the lower strut end bolts onto the A-Arm? This has traditionally been a weak point on aftermarket A-Arms and I am curious to see how it looks after a decent amount of use.
To my knowledge, this issue has been taken care of on all aftermarket arms from quality brands. In the early years, we supplied reinforcement plates to prevent any failures. Many years ago, we just redesigned the plate entirely to solve the issue all together. Now our arms are as safe as can be until we figure out a way to make them even better.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it's been over a year now since you've created this thread, OP. In that year, have you experienced any discomfort, that you did not have prior to the A-Arms, while being a driver or passenger in this car?
Old 07-26-2012, 07:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
To my knowledge, this issue has been taken care of on all aftermarket arms from quality brands. In the early years, we supplied reinforcement plates to prevent any failures. Many years ago, we just redesigned the plate entirely to solve the issue all together. Now our arms are as safe as can be until we figure out a way to make them even better.

- Kevin
Great, I still would like to see pictures, as I have seen "quality brands" suffer issues from bending strut attachment plates, to which the manufacturer would say it is "normal" or blame it on the user, two of my friends had the older models break on them while they were driving. I just want to see how OP's components are after being used for about a year - if the quality is as you say it is, the plate should be un-bent, unless it was intentionally designed to be bent in the first place. These incidents are just a part of what prompted the design of the boxed lower A-Arms.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Anyone with questions for the OP, I had better luck PMing him. He never responded back to this thread but was quick with a response through a PM..
Old 07-29-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry for the late reply. My wife and I had our first child in September and between that and working 6 days a week, I havent had any time really to troll the forum, or work on my car much at all.

I'll do my best to get pics, but its going to be tough to tell you the truth. My only day off is sunday and that day is normally packed with family stuff and catching up on things I didnt have time to do during the week.

What I can tell you about the A arms is that they have been great. I drive the car on normal roads with everything one would expect to find on city streets and highways. They have held up great. There is no noticeable noise increases, or handling issues whatsoever. There is some bump steer, but I have experienced that with all of my lowered f bodies. One day I will buy some new tie rod ends to make it that much better. The car has been on long trips (9 hours to Hilton Head), and short ones as well. The arms are top notch.

I'll try to get pics, but it might not be for a week or two at best.

Props to BMR for making a great product, couldnt be happier with them.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssjason232
sorry for the late reply. My wife and I had our first child in September and between that and working 6 days a week, I havent had any time really to troll the forum, or work on my car much at all.

I'll do my best to get pics, but its going to be tough to tell you the truth. My only day off is sunday and that day is normally packed with family stuff and catching up on things I didnt have time to do during the week.

What I can tell you about the A arms is that they have been great. I drive the car on normal roads with everything one would expect to find on city streets and highways. They have held up great. There is no noticeable noise increases, or handling issues whatsoever. There is some bump steer, but I have experienced that with all of my lowered f bodies. One day I will buy some new tie rod ends to make it that much better. The car has been on long trips (9 hours to Hilton Head), and short ones as well. The arms are top notch.

I would agree with you on this. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with these a-arms. I'm running the same set-up but with the 1/2" shock spacers to get my ride height just right.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great stance!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
OP, can you please take some new pictures showing the area of the A-Arms where the lower strut end bolts onto the A-Arm? This has traditionally been a weak point on aftermarket A-Arms and I am curious to see how it looks after a decent amount of use.
Here is link to the pictures available off our website that show the shock mounting plates pretty well just click on the image of the product and it will enlarge.

AA020 - 1" Lowering a-arms

If you would like some other pictures I can open a box up and take some other pictures

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Glad to hear that your are still happy with your BMR products, if there is ever anything else we can do for you let us know.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok ok ok I got to order these. BMR help me out here. Get me a price break and I will do all kinds of pics from instal to finish product. and of course share with fellow members.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

I tried PM'ing the OP but he he hasn't replied.

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Here is link to the pictures available off our website that show the shock mounting plates pretty well just click on the image of the product and it will enlarge.

AA020 - 1" Lowering a-arms

If you would like some other pictures I can open a box up and take some other pictures
I'm actually looking for pictures of the product after being used, with around or over 15,000 street miles on them. The pictures from OP's car would answer my question better than pictures of brand new product.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by SpinsB
ok ok ok I got to order these. BMR help me out here. Get me a price break and I will do all kinds of pics from instal to finish product. and of course share with fellow members.
Give me a call here at the shop and I will see what I can do for you.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

OP your car is gorgeous!
Old 08-14-2012, 02:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Here are some photos of our shock mount plates. This is one of the details that sets our arms apart from everyone else.

Back in the day, many manufacturer's A-arms were beginning to receive some failures due to potholes and what not. The shock mount plate would bend or distort. So, instead of just labeling them a race-only pieces, we made an attempt to fix the problem. We did this by offering reinforcement plates that we sent with our A-arms. This worked well and failures went away, but it wasn't the solution we were looking for - we knew we could improve the design. So we decided to box the mount by welding small gussets on the side of the plate. This worked well, and ultimately led us to our final design you see here. From a single plate shaped into a box and then welded. This is what the thick plates look like before being welded. They're extremely strong and haven't be a point of failure for any A-arm since moving to this design.

(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Tech2
Here are some photos of our shock mount plates. This is one of the details that sets our arms apart from everyone else.

Back in the day, many manufacturer's A-arms were beginning to receive some failures due to potholes and what not. The shock mount plate would bend or distort. So, instead of just labeling them a race-only pieces, we made an attempt to fix the problem. We did this by offering reinforcement plates that we sent with our A-arms. This worked well and failures went away, but it wasn't the solution we were looking for - we knew we could improve the design. So we decided to box the mount by welding small gussets on the side of the plate. This worked well, and ultimately led us to our final design you see here. From a single plate shaped into a box and then welded. This is what the thick plates look like before being welded. They're extremely strong and haven't be a point of failure for any A-arm since moving to this design.
Thank you for the explanation and the pictures! It certainly does look a LOT stronger than the old design. If the OP's lower a-arms aren't identical as to when they were stock, I would like to see a picture of any possible distortions however minor... Could even be PM'ed. Just curious as to the results from real-world testing since there are not a ton of threads about this style A-arm and I am really interested in them.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:03 AM
On The Tree

A arms have held up great. I think I will need to get some bump steer tie rod ends just because it is so low now. Bun no noise louder than stock, handling is improved, ride height is great.

I might actually have to lower the rear a 1/4 or so now. Im totally happy. Once i get some funds I want to get the upper a arms from BMR as well.
First of all your car looks amazing and now I feel 100 times better about buying koni/strano combo in the future. I was looking at sportline/koni because I didn't think strano springs were low enough. Your car just changed my opinion those a-arms are pricey but the 1 inch drop without loss of suspension travel is amazing! However, I do agree that the rear could go lower and I don't know if you have fixed it yet or not but FWIW the heater hose mod would probably lower the rear just enough to look great. I have no idea though lol. I can't get over how you have managed to get the sportline look with strano springs handling and shave 10 pounds off the front end...

Last edited by Robbie Wilson; 10-27-2012 at 04:12 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Ok im looking to buy springs and shocks for my 2002 z28 camaro. I like the Koni's but I dont want yellow, I want black. Any suggestions ?
Old 10-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Would love to try these on my road course car. Anybody else using these on the track? Besides GMHTP.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darkshadow290
Ok im looking to buy springs and shocks for my 2002 z28 camaro. I like the Koni's but I dont want yellow, I want black. Any suggestions ?
shocks are defiantly not visible from the road at all. They are hard to see if you bend over lol. Don't sweat the yellow. They are koni yellows after all, if anything people with recognize them as good shocks. however, I guess you could have them painted but I don't think it will last as the shocks are constantly bouncing up and down rubbing etc.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robbie Wilson
shocks are defiantly not visible from the road at all. They are hard to see if you bend over lol. Don't sweat the yellow. They are koni yellows after all, if anything people with recognize them as good shocks. however, I guess you could have them painted but I don't think it will last as the shocks are constantly bouncing up and down rubbing etc.
I agree 100%. Unless you are looking underneath the car or have the wheels off you will never really see the shocks. If it was that big of an issue for you there is always some spray paint that could be added to them. I just installed some Koni shocks/BMR lowering springs on my black 98 T/A and it was one of the best mods I have done to the car to date.

Quick Reply: BMR 1" lowering A Arms, Stranos, and Konis. PICS