Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are these spring rates and drop height good.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are these spring rates and drop height good.

Well a buddy of mine wants to sell his springs cause he totaled his f-body and is giving me a good deal on the springs brand new. He wants $150.00 for all four corners. The spring rates are front 450 and the rears are 250 drop is 1.5 inches and I want to know if these are good to run with LT's headers I know they will speed bumps but how about anything else not sure of the brand of springs. If they are good what is the cheapest but still good struts and shocks to go along with these springs.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:21 PM
BS
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are they MAC Springs? This what they told me on FRRAX.com:

"That rear rate is amazingly stiff. I ran H&R's which have a 200 in lb rear spring and found it to be far too much spring. Based on those numbers, I really wouldn't use those springs (the rear is way, way too stiff). I wound up keeping the H&R fronts (600 in lbs) and switched to the rear setup from Ground Control with 150 in lb springs.

With that out of the way, I'll try to answer your question. The ride will be firm, but that will be mostly a result of the shocks. Shocks have far more impact on ride than springs. Springs can dictate the amount of damping you'll need to run to make the car "work", but they are somewhat secondary to the ride quality equation. The ride will be pretty stiff, but not brutal. I've run 600/200 springs before on my daily driver and I was just fine with it. My wife only complained if I hit a nasty bump/pothole, otherwise she didn't really mind too much.

The other problem is that we don't know where those springs will be in their working range. Meaning, when you set the car down, they could be working from "450 to 475" or from "500 to 515". Same for the rears. Not that it's a huge difference, but I'd prefer to see the fronts at the top of their working range (if we're lucky they will really start at 500 lbs or so) and I can hope the rears start at the bottom of their range (it's an awful lot of spring rate back there).

The "good news" is that with those rear springs, I wouldn't change the rear sway bar, I'd try the stock 19mm first and I doubt you'll need anything more."

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...ndpost&p=78662

"Those sound like drifting springs, they wont work for autocross or the street. "

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...ndpost&p=78683

MAC Spring Specs:
Front (lbs/in) : 450-515
Rear (lbs/in) : 215-245
Ride Height Drop (in.) : 1.50"

Quick Reply: Are these spring rates and drop height good.