Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Whats better UMI or BMR??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
I just put a 9 inch in the car (1999 z28 M6) and am about to buy a few rear suspension pieces such as a transmission cross-brace with the torque arm relocator on it as well as a torque arm and rear sway bar for now. I like the Spohn 22mm rear sway bar because it is made of chromoly ans is the same price as the steel ones but for the torque arm and torque arm relocation bracket, which one is going to be stronger and better as far as fitment and who has the best prices on these? I do have texas speed true duals.
I've got basically everything you are talking about on an m6 99SS (moser 9", UMI full length T/A, relo. crossmember) and my fitment is fine. Just remember with duals you'll have to go full length T/A.

As for the rear sway, any 22 will do. I use strano's hollow 22 and it is good.

Both companies (and Spohn for that matter) are basically the same as far as quality so much of it is choice and cost. I always seem to be buying parts while UMI is having a sale so I just stuck with them.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a torque arm from BMR, works good
Old 07-18-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive seen a lot of complaints and issues with Spohn stuff, and their stuff is expensive. Never bought from them, and probably never will.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Ive seen a lot of complaints and issues with Spohn stuff, and their stuff is expensive. Never bought from them, and probably never will.
Yea, I never looked into Spohn because of the price and seems like not too many people run their products. I haven't heard of problems with their products though except for their torque arm, I believe, a looong time ago which they have corrected since then.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SSJarhead
The LCA's and PHB are simple installs. The relo. brackets require some cutting on the bracket your brake lines and parking brake are connected to in order to make fit. It isn't hard, but may be a bit too thick for the dremel without going through a LOT of cuttings wheels. You'll want a sawzall or a decent electric/pneumatic cut off wheel.
I ended up cutting the tabs off my E-Brake brackets. I've seen a few guys work them with a rubber mallet so they didn't have to cut them off, then just grind the bolt holes a little elongated with a dremel, better option in my opinion.

Suspension install are easy, simple hand tools, a jack and some stands. If you're doing bolt in sub frames I suggest you put the car up on 4 ramps and let it sit over night to settle out, that way the subs bolt in nice and square, doing tunnel monted tourque arms either goes easy or it's a bitch, seems easiest when the weight is on all 4 tires(drive on lift/ramps).

The fun part of suspension comes into the adjustments and how to use that adjustability...

Quick Reply: Whats better UMI or BMR??