Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

question about lca relocation brackets

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about lca relocation brackets

this may be a stupid question, but what exactly are the benefits/problems with lca brackets? i've been doing some searching and i'm finding conflicting information. some people swear by them, saying it helps with traction and handling. others say it helps with straight line traction, but kills cornering capabilities. and then i've seen a few people claim they helped with neither straight line traction nor handling.

i was planning on installing my tubular lca and bolt in brackets this friday, but now i'm not so sure about the brackets. the car is an lt1 at stock ride height. i was curious if i could get some testimonials from yall to see if its worth it, or if i should just sell them. the car is my dd and it has yet to see a track, drag strip or otherwise. just trying to improve straight line traction for the few instances of spirited street driving i do. at the same time though i dont want to have to worry about fishtailing when it rains and such. any info would be great. thanks

-Jake
Old 07-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Teching In

I've also read conflicting info on lca brackets and have been wondering the same thing. My T/A is my fair weather dd and i have all new Spohn chromoly-poly/rod adj. lca's, phb, and tunnel-mount adj. torque arm waiting to go on but i'm up in the air with the brackets. Car is lowered also. I want the car to handle well and not wheel hop like crazy if i punch it off the line..
Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 PM
10 Second Club

Before I put on my BMR relocation brackets I had a ton of wheel hop. After I put them on the wheel hop calmed down alot and I didn't notice any difference in handling. I don't really carve corners but I really don't see how it could effect handling in a cornering aspect.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your at stock ride height, the relocation brackets are useless either way.

The whole point of the relocation brackets is to correct the LCA geometry when the car is lowered. Putting them on a stock ride height car will likely induce more problems than anything.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:19 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The lower control arm relocation brackets help out quite a bit and are even quite helpful on a stock ride height vehicle. The lower control arm brackets serve two purposes, one and which most people are familiar with is the that the relocation brackets will help fix the geometry issue with the lower control arm when the car is lowered. The second and just as important thing i sthe relocation brackets will add positive anti-squat to the car which will help with wheel hop and and straight traction. They are a really good bang for the buck item and work very well whether it be on a lowered car or a stock ride height car.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMR Sales2 - So what is the "ideal" angle of the LCA? You stated it helps on lowered cars or cars at stock height. So what angle do we want the LCA's to be at?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

I have just about everything done to my car except SFC's. I put these brackets on and they did help. I put them in the bottom hole. I believe you want the LCA to be level, it's been a while since Sam told me. I decided to move the LCA up on the bracket.

It was ******* scary! Imagine me yelling that and you will have an idea. I coudln't keep the car on the road. I was winding it up on the highway in a slight curve one afternoon. I hit 4th gear at 100mph and the car changed lanes on it's own. I moved them back to the lower hole and everythings fine again. I do have an adjustable T/A and its moved up one hole too to help the center.

I am not saying do or don't buy these, I know every car is different but just make sure they are setup right.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by firemech21
BMR Sales2 - So what is the "ideal" angle of the LCA? You stated it helps on lowered cars or cars at stock height. So what angle do we want the LCA's to be at?
For any kind of corner handling you would like to have it level or even a little lower on the body side of lower control arm compared to the rear end side. When I say little I mean generally right around 1 degree or so. If you are looking for straight-line handling and better overall straight-line traction you want the lower control arm to be lower on the rear end side then the body side, this will add the positive anti-squat which improves those characteristics.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 134 Likes on 118 Posts

Been running/using BMR bolt-in relos since 2003,never had any kind of problem in either hard cornering or hard braking. Once had to pull down,quickly, from about 140mph to 35mph and did not have a problem. Hard braking in the rain also presented NO problem.
I'm at stock height,because of a deep tranny pan and driveshaft loop and do a lot of travelling(and you never can tell what you're gonna encounter in bumps and uneven surfaces),and have always used the lowest holes for maximum straightline traction.
Trying to take off/accelerate in snow also improved.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:09 PM
On The Tree

in case anyone is interested, i installed these today. went in very easily, no problems. i installed them using the lower bolt holes and so far so good. have tried a few hard turns/stops with no issues. not too sure about traction though, as its hard to tell due to bad tires.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Launching!

After I installed mine the anti-squatting characteristics vs. that of the stock set up was simply ridiculous. Really great bang for the buck in my opinion.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

I am at stock height. Before I installed them my 60's were between 1.62-1.67. After I installed the relocation brackets it dropped to a consistent 1.61-1.62. And the DA was about 1000' worse that day also.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by ECU_Pirate
After I installed mine the anti-squatting characteristics vs. that of the stock set up was simply ridiculous. Really great bang for the buck in my opinion.
Originally Posted by boostednismo
I am at stock height. Before I installed them my 60's were between 1.62-1.67. After I installed the relocation brackets it dropped to a consistent 1.61-1.62. And the DA was about 1000' worse that day also.
A lot of people really don't realize how much this simple mod really helps as far as straight-line performance and traction goes. Not only do they help a bunch but they are relatively inexpensive and are easy to install especially if you want to use the bolt-on stykle relocation brackets.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Launching!

These really helped me plant the tires to the ground on the lower hole. Good buy
Old 07-28-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ive been wondering this myself.

So what is the benefit of Adjustable LCAs?
Old 07-28-2011, 07:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
Ive been wondering this myself.

So what is the benefit of Adjustable LCAs?
The main benefit to have an adjustable LCA over a no-adjustable LCA is you can adjust where the wheel sits in the wheel well with. This comes in super helpful if you are running a big wheel/tire combo on the car. Also the adjustable lower control arms are good to use if you are going to be doing the weld-in LCA relocation brackets because it is very hard to get the brackets installed exactly where they need to be so the adjustable LCA will allow to make the adjustments incase theyy are welded a bit off.

I generally try to get people to go ahead and do the adjustable LCA's because it is never a bad thing to have the adjustability and plans always change so it is nice to buy one arm that can be used in pretty much all situations.

Quick Reply: question about lca relocation brackets