Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lowering (Spring and Shock advice/input)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just felt like sharing Ive had a few setups over the last 2 years. Slammed cars Konis suck up front. I am VERY happy with very stiff ground control coil overs and bilsteins. rides and handles way better than sportlines/kyb and Ground control/Konis. I chose a really stiff spring I think 650/200 and the stiffer spring makes the car feel much lighter and responsive and I made oem quality VT isolators I call them to replace the rubber oem isolator on the rear springs instead of the heater hose mod. I think anything less stiff makes the car feel like a whale. Im not a suspension expert its just my personal feeling.

I would reccomend Stranos and Bilsteins unless you want a 'slammed' look.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Rubbing has more to do with the way the body/wheels and tires fit each other than springs. Assuming the car has bumpstops the travel is limited, and in stock form can travel that far anyway. The issue is that you guys stick 3" more wheel back there. If the offset is wrong, or your particular set of 315's is wider than Billy-Bob's you'll get rub where maybe they do not. And yes, 315's are not all the same, some brands are wider than others, at times 1/2" or more.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So narrower tires is the only solution? I hope not, cuz i really like the way it looks right now, just don't wanna die LOL
Attached Thumbnails Lowering (Spring and Shock advice/input)-2011-08-03-16.10.33.jpg   Lowering (Spring and Shock advice/input)-2011-08-03-16.11.38.jpg   Lowering (Spring and Shock advice/input)-2011-08-03-16.12.15.jpg  
Old 08-09-2011, 02:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't know what to tell you. The tires might be ok on a narrower offset set of wheels. Don't know what you have there or how much room is left to move inboard.

Sorry, I never like having to be honest with folks, but if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by VtBandit
So narrower tires is the only solution? I hope not, cuz i really like the way it looks right now, just don't wanna die LOL
What kind of wheels and what offset are those? 315 Nitto 555r tires should fit with only slight modification. 50mm zr1 replicas seem to be pretty common but would rub on the inside with no modification. What do you have?
Old 08-10-2011, 06:01 AM
Teching In

I can't remember off the top of my head, but they are the torque thrust wheels that were sold specifically for the Trans Am. I looked into it forever and this was the same setup as a member with the screen name nnag has on here the only difference being he has the bmr springs and he told me he had 0 fitment issues and no rubbing. Must be the springs are all the difference cuz as you can see in the pics, mine is rubbing jus a lil bit hahaha! Put a passenger in the back and it almost rides on the tire. Must be the bmr's have a higher spring rate or he doesn't get on his much...of course driving vt roads is like navigating the moon surface in some areas too. I appreciate the honesty Sam, not enough of that nowadays and when i purchased my panhard bar from you i was impressed by the level of service you provided. I wish you had been able to say yeah, buy my spring and you are good to go without batting an eyelash in fact. The car looks really sweet in this setup (gets tons of comments) and handles nicely, but that means nothing if i can't drive it the way it should be driven and it is dangerous at highway speeds because of the thinning tires.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by VtBandit
I can't remember off the top of my head, but they are the torque thrust wheels that were sold specifically for the Trans Am. I looked into it forever and this was the same setup as a member with the screen name nnag has on here the only difference being he has the bmr springs and he told me he had 0 fitment issues and no rubbing. Must be the springs are all the difference cuz as you can see in the pics, mine is rubbing jus a lil bit hahaha! Put a passenger in the back and it almost rides on the tire. Must be the bmr's have a higher spring rate or he doesn't get on his much...of course driving vt roads is like navigating the moon surface in some areas too. I appreciate the honesty Sam, not enough of that nowadays and when i purchased my panhard bar from you i was impressed by the level of service you provided. I wish you had been able to say yeah, buy my spring and you are good to go without batting an eyelash in fact. The car looks really sweet in this setup (gets tons of comments) and handles nicely, but that means nothing if i can't drive it the way it should be driven and it is dangerous at highway speeds because of the thinning tires.
No the springs wont help. Higher rate or lower rate... doesn't matter. They both reach full suspension travel. Higher rate springs unless you go really f*ing unreasonably high are not going to prevent tire contact. Looks like your rubbing on the outside? You're not running spacers are you? It looks like a fender rolling is in your future.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Well, here is mine! I just love these springs Sam! They work great in conjunction with my 1LE package.

Quick Reply: Lowering (Spring and Shock advice/input)