Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need opinions on brakes and sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Agree with the sentiment, shocks are basically my favorite mod. I don't know that I would say there is a great difference in Bilstein versus Koni on a stock sprung predominantly street car though. Both made the car significantly better. If you don't want adjust-ability or a little drop in the front then I might just go with Bilstein.
Yes, there is a difference... Basically Bilstein's are like Koni's set pretty soft. Those with Koni's don't tend to run them that soft (and they have that option). I like the car very taut and tied down, so I tend to run more rebound than you might otherwise, quote/unquote need to keep the car from acting stupid. In fact I run as much as I can until the ride becomes objectionable.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Yes, there is a difference... Basically Bilstein's are like Koni's set pretty soft. Those with Koni's don't tend to run them that soft (and they have that option). I like the car very taut and tied down, so I tend to run more rebound than you might otherwise, quote/unquote need to keep the car from acting stupid. In fact I run as much as I can until the ride becomes objectionable.
I run my Konis fairly soft, perhaps that is why I think that.

Had the fronts about half way stiff with the rears 1/3 stiff and it just did not seemed way overdamped on the stock springs... perhaps there was less roll rate, but it seemed to jack down over consecutive bumps and just did not ride that great.

The Bilstein shocks were perhaps softer than where I have the Konis set now, but it just doesn't seem to me like you would really want the upper end of the Koni range on the stock springs on the street. Track sure... or maybe if you have glass smooth roads.

To each their own I suppose.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I run my Konis fairly soft, perhaps that is why I think that.

Had the fronts about half way stiff with the rears 1/3 stiff and it just did not seemed way overdamped on the stock springs... perhaps there was less roll rate, but it seemed to jack down over consecutive bumps and just did not ride that great.

The Bilstein shocks were perhaps softer than where I have the Konis set now, but it just doesn't seem to me like you would really want the upper end of the Koni range on the stock springs on the street. Track sure... or maybe if you have glass smooth roads.

To each their own I suppose.
Well, "fairly soft" isn't very specific, I don't know how much softer you are than where you were. Also many don't realize a little change can make a big difference (not saying that's the case here, just that you find often folks will change the shocks what they think is a little, but it's really a big change).

I ran my Koni's on my car @ about 1/2 stiff in front with stock springs back when my car was stock.... and that's on Western PA's pock-marked roads.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Well, "fairly soft" isn't very specific, I don't know how much softer you are than where you were. Also many don't realize a little change can make a big difference (not saying that's the case here, just that you find often folks will change the shocks what they think is a little, but it's really a big change).

I ran my Koni's on my car @ about 1/2 stiff in front with stock springs back when my car was stock.... and that's on Western PA's pock-marked roads.
If I remember right, it is 2 sweeps front, 1/4 turn rear. So that is about "half adjustment" from where it was before at 4 front, 1/2 turn rear.

I would agree that small changes can make a difference. When I first set it it was stiffer and I liked it as long as I was on the freeway. The only complaint I had in that setting was certain areas where there were big dips in the road that felt like the car was in freefall.

After I moved to basically downtown Houston with potholes and some washboard type surfaces it just started to seem too jarring. Softening it seemed to make it ride a lot better and I didn't seem to give up much in roll rate or control so I have left it there. Also the big dips seem a little more controlled I imagine because the suspension has less resistance to extension so the car doesn't drop as quickly.

This is all somewhat irrelevant since the way either of us like our settings is maybe apples to oranges to bananas compared to how the OP might want his. Of course that is the advantage of the adjustment. But since both are significantly better than stock I don't see a huge disadvantage to the Bilstein for a stock sprung car that lives on the street and not the track.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

So would it be worth it for me to spend the extra $400 for koni's? My roads around here are absolutely terrible IMO. Northeast PA enough said!!! I would lower the car but I just cant with the roads around here...the nose already comes close the scraping just leaving the driveway, and on top of that my headers would get banged up too im sure. As far as handling goes, my main concern at this point is decreasing body roll/ weight transfer, as much as possible with stock spring but for the least ching. If that means koni's because the blistein's are not worth it then thats that. If it means the bilstein's are a great improvement over stock and not to far off from the koni's then they would do the trick.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6
So would it be worth it for me to spend the extra $400 for koni's? My roads around here are absolutely terrible IMO. Northeast PA enough said!!! I would lower the car but I just cant with the roads around here...the nose already comes close the scraping just leaving the driveway, and on top of that my headers would get banged up too im sure. As far as handling goes, my main concern at this point is decreasing body roll/ weight transfer, as much as possible with stock spring but for the least ching. If that means koni's because the blistein's are not worth it then thats that. If it means the bilstein's are a great improvement over stock and not to far off from the koni's then they would do the trick.
If you aren't going to lower the car, and saving the money between SLP Bilstein's and Koni's allows you to get my sway bars, then that's the better choice overall.

The shocks will give you better damping control, make the car feel much less ponderous, and more stable. Slow roll and pitch too. Also hugely improved in terms of impact harshness vs. stock. The bars cut the amount of roll tremendously, also quicken up transitions, and help the balance of the car. Sway bars add wheel rate, like springs do.... but only when you lean on the bars vs. all the time like the springs.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02T/A-WS6
So would it be worth it for me to spend the extra $400 for koni's?
I had Bilsteins and when I changed cars I got the Konis. My above posts weren't meant to say that I don't think Konis are worth their cost, rather that you shouldn't dismiss Bilsteins as a choice if you are on stock springs, and don't care about adjustment. I can't answer if you will think the $400 will be worth it. It partly will depend on if you think there is a chance you will change springs in the future. If you want a slight drop in the front with stock springs they are the only choice. Koni has a great warranty too.

I would not pick the Bilstein solely to get a better ride. As above the Bilstein shocks and Koni shocks ride similarly dependent on how you adjust the Koni. You give up some damping with the Bilstein shocks. The reason I made the specific comments that I did regarding stock sprung cars that spend all their time on the street is because really the Bilstein is like how the car should have been damped from the factory. It is 100 times better than stock. You get a more damping with the Konis, adjust-ability, and lower front spring perch if you get the SA. But the change going from Bilstein to Koni is not nearly as drastic as going from stock to Bilstein, even though they are better and they were worth the extra money to me.

If you aren't going to lower the car, and saving the money between SLP Bilstein's and Koni's allows you to get my sway bars, then that's the better choice overall.