Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

wheel tire combo handling etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel tire combo handling etc

ok so my current set up is slp bil, with eibach prokit springs. 17" ss wheels with 255/40 and 275/40 out back which= 25 and 25.7 height equally, would it be better to switch to a set up of 16" with 245/50 and 255/50s which= 25.7 and 26.1 tall. I will be using similar tire set, not gonna auto x just want something stable for spirited driving on the strip. As well as fill up the fender well a bit more, I have slicks for the track. Would I notice a major degrade in the handling department? Or would it maybe be better due to reducing of weight? also would it be a good idea to do heater hose mod to level the car off on either stance or does it do better as a raked stance? I've all ready read through a lot of threads and have arrived at this set of questions.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

basically I want to know if the car is gonna wanna slide around more and spin out more by being differently set up. haven't had a problem with it yet, but I am coming off of a mustang that wanted to go around on me all the damn time. I have a ss front sway bar endlink kit on front and back lca's and stb as well as per the rest of the suspension set up. gonna have a 3200 stall hopefully in by wed got full bolt ons and 3.42 gear in the rear with the spring type lsd I think
Old 08-01-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fresh
ok so my current set up is slp bil, with eibach prokit springs. 17" ss wheels with 255/40 and 275/40 out back which= 25 and 25.7 height equally,
Why do you have 255s on the front? These cars come with 275/40's all around from the factory...
would it be better to switch to a set up of 16" with 245/50 and 255/50s which= 25.7 and 26.1 tall.
For handling, no.
Tires being same brand/make you have less contact patch and therefore less grip, with a taller sidewall which will likely be softer.
I will be using similar tire set, not gonna auto x just want something stable for spirited driving on the strip.
No need to get 16's, just put some sticky tires on your 17s.

also would it be a good idea to do heater hose mod to level the car off on either stance or does it do better as a raked stance?
I doubt youll notice a difference in performance.

Originally Posted by 2fresh
basically I want to know if the car is gonna wanna slide around more and spin out more by being differently set up. haven't had a problem with it yet, but I am coming off of a mustang that wanted to go around on me all the damn time.
If your worried about traction then as I said above, get sticky tires. Some 300+ tread wear tires are not going to grip like 200< do...
My NT05's (200 tread wear) stick WAY more than my stock goodyear eagle F1s (300 tread wear).
Also if your worried about stability get some good shocks, easily the most noticeable suspension mod. Car will be much more stable and planted and not want to snap oversteer (again, this is with good shocks like konis, not some drag shocks or autozone replacements)

I have a ss front sway bar endlink kit on front and back lca's and stb as well as per the rest of the suspension set up. gonna have a 3200 stall hopefully in by wed got full bolt ons and 3.42 gear in the rear with the spring type lsd I think
SS swaybar endlink kit? To my knowledge the endlinks were no different...
What kind of LCA's do you have? Poly ones may cause binding...
Old 08-01-2011, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you want smaller than factory tires in the front? Why not just keep the factory size tires all around???

There's no reason to put smaller tires on the front of the car than the rear, especially if you're looking for handling.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

z28 so rims are diff, ss sway bar is an upgrade 4 my car I meant energy suspension kit, I have slicks for the track, a 12 year old car doesn't have stock tires on it any more, most ppl i know run 245 45 17s up front any way, slp billsteins are on the car, also have welded in subframes.

Just figured the lighter wheel tire combo would help with braking, accel, etc. make the car fell less like a piece of lead, but didn't want to make it unstable

also car is mainly for 1/4 track on the weekend, I just don't want to make it too unstable on the street.

sorry the first post was a wall of text.

and funny story ended up working a trade for some c5 zs so this whole thread is pointless now at least we have it for future reference

Last edited by 2fresh; 08-01-2011 at 08:27 PM.