Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Lower control arm just snapped

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011 | 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

It was a poor bushing end choice on our end. The poly bushing binds as the suspension tries to travel. Because of the bind the weakest point of the arm breaks, which is our threaded bushing end. We no longer off this style like this. So in reality the A-Arm itself didn't snap but the bushing end broke, still an issue and we have corrected it.

To fix it we replaced it with a Roto-Joint or rod end, both which allow the suspension to travel freely with little friction. We are sending the customer two Roto-Joints to replace the poly ends.

Sorry to see this happen. Thank you,
Ryan
Old 08-30-2011 | 04:30 PM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
It was a poor bushing end choice on our end. The poly bushing binds as the suspension tries to travel. Because of the bind the weakest point of the arm breaks, which is our threaded bushing end. We no longer off this style like this. So in reality the A-Arm itself didn't snap but the bushing end broke, still an issue and we have corrected it.

To fix it we replaced it with a Roto-Joint or rod end, both which allow the suspension to travel freely with little friction. We are sending the customer two Roto-Joints to replace the poly ends.

Ryan

Old 08-30-2011 | 04:38 PM
Teching In

Ryan
nice good to know u stand by your stuff ty
Old 08-30-2011 | 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Ryan
Now this is why I've been sporting the UMI logo in my sig since 2005!
Old 08-30-2011 | 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Utmost follow-up from UMI!

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 08-30-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-30-2011 | 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ryan
Damn good customer service. This is why all of my suspension components on the car are UMI. And I've never had anything break.
Old 08-31-2011 | 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

I won't waste everyone's time re-re-quoting Ryan @ UMI, but my first question remains when I read the initial post...

Why not contact the manufacturer BEFORE shouting from the mountain top?

Give the manufacturer the first opportunity to resolve the problem before telling everyone. Then the original post would have read "I broke my UMI lower control arm, but they are fixing it for me!"

I'm just saying...
Old 08-31-2011 | 07:45 AM
Teching In

If they know there's a problem with them shouldn't they recall them so someone doesn't get hurt or have this problem .
Old 08-31-2011 | 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lethal35thSS
If they know there's a problem with them shouldn't they recall them so someone doesn't get hurt or have this problem .
Could be a little hard to find every owner of every control arm and let them know.
Old 08-31-2011 | 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Could be a little hard to find every owner of every control arm and let them know.
especially with how often suspension parts trade hands..
Old 09-01-2011 | 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

Case in point. I have the same A Arms and I think mine is getting ready to snap. After seeing this thread I went out and looked at mine and I can't be sure, but it looks like it's bent downward a little. I don't know if mine will be covered b/c I wasn't the original owner, but I'm hoping so.
Old 09-01-2011 | 12:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Blwn_by_Twins
Case in point. I have the same A Arms and I think mine is getting ready to snap. After seeing this thread I went out and looked at mine and I can't be sure, but it looks like it's bent downward a little. I don't know if mine will be covered b/c I wasn't the original owner, but I'm hoping so.
Would you be able to send me a picture? Please e-mail to ryan@umiperformance.com. Thank you
Old 09-01-2011 | 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Would you be able to send me a picture? Please e-mail to ryan@umiperformance.com. Thank you
Sure. I'll go get some now.
Old 09-01-2011 | 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

You've got mail.
Old 09-01-2011 | 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Wow. 3 mins to respond, and less than 2 hours and I have replacement parts on the way at no charge. Less not forget, I didn't even buy these from UMI. They were on the car when I purchased it. If that's not a company that stands behind there stuff then I don't know of one that does. Thank you UMI, and thank you Ryan for going above and beyond.
Old 09-01-2011 | 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Why do people buy stuff and have no idea how the components work? When it comes to aftermarket parts

BUYER BEWARE

Poly is good for mounts, not for moving components
Old 09-02-2011 | 07:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
Poly is good for mounts, not for moving components
Polly is fine for some suspension parts, you just don't want to use it in parts that were designed to bind (i.e. travel in an arc) like 3rd and 4th gen F-Body lower a-arms. The uppers on a 4th gen however would be fine. If you do, the polly needs to be the weak point the the design.

UMI discovered the error of their ways and resolved it with an upgraded product. Some companies simply keep the same design, but UMI moved forward with a new design and are taking care of old customers with problems. Good business and safety.

Originally Posted by Blwn_by_Twins
If that's not a company that stands behind there stuff then I don't know of one that does.
Agreed ...and no I'm not endorsing or even own any of their products - It's simply good business. Like many here, I've spent a LOT of money over the years on aftermarket parts and this has been noted for my future purchases.
Old 09-03-2011 | 03:06 AM
12 Second Club

whats the price on replacement roto-joints for the front? I have the same poly bushings in the front. I just recently bought a roto-joint panhard bar and love it.
Old 09-03-2011 | 04:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by spy2520
whats the price on replacement roto-joints for the front? I have the same poly bushings in the front. I just recently bought a roto-joint panhard bar and love it.
www.BYUNSPEED.com

Do a search for the following part numbers on our site.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2011 | 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

After seeing this thread I'm so glad I just ordered from UMI. Got the new 3 point SBC for verts and a shock tower brace. Thanks UMI for standing behind your stuff!

Quick Reply: Lower control arm just snapped