Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut Tower Brace Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
Distant cousins.

The flat washer thread disowned this thread however... Said it didn't like breakfast.
Who the hell is talking about breakfast? Aren't we talking about Halloween costumes?
Old 10-17-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Who the hell is talking about breakfast? Aren't we talking about Halloween costumes?
Eh, you know... tomatoes/tomatoes... caramel/caramel....

Wait... That doesn't work so well in text.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have to jack up the car for every stb? Cause i heard somewhere on here where they didnt have to.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^Ive never had to.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MYLSWON-ws6
Do you have to jack up the car for every stb? Cause i heard somewhere on here where they didnt have to.
No you do not. This is only recommend when a STB won't fit, if you try this method it allows the shock towers to relax and usually allows the correct fitment.

I hope this helps!
Ryan
Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 AM
Launching!

just ran across this from tanabe...

The strut tower bar is arguable one of the least expensive upgrades that can provide a very high degree of benefit that is felt immediately after installing. Often one of the first modifications performed on a vehicle, the strut tower brace improves handling and stability of a vehicle.
Adjustable Preload

A very common error when installing tower bars, It is always recommended to raise the vehicle when installing so that the load of the shock uppermounts on the shock towers is relieved and balanced out. When raised, and the tower bar is placed onto the vehicle, the preload can be adjusted and set. After it is bolted on and the car is lowered, each shock tower will have equal load and will prevent independent movements of each shock. This will provide an extremely noticeable difference after installing. If a tower bar is installed on a car that is not raised, great benefits will be missed.
note that on some of the bars there are no adj screws but mounting holes are slotted...
Old 10-25-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
No you do not. This is only recommend when a STB won't fit, if you try this method it allows the shock towers to relax and usually allows the correct fitment.

I hope this helps!
Ryan
Guys, I realize this isn't about waffles, but stay with me... I bought a tubular BMR k-member for my car when I had the motor out. Then I discovered they shouldn't be used in street/DD applications due to the single cross-tube design bending. You know, where there's a single large bar that connects one side to the other? ****. Well, I started thinking, what are the forces on that single center bar in a turn? If a tubular k-member with two parallel bars across the center is considered a road race application (by UMI, BMR, etc), could the same effect be accomplished with a STB rigidly connected to the top of the engine bay?

I'm of the mind (convinced) a STB does virtually nothing for a stock k-membered, non-road-raced F-body. But what about where tubular K-members are used? I really hope to get a straight response without mention of waffles and the impact of light weight alloys for forks...
Old 10-25-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Guys, I realize this isn't about waffles, but stay with me... I bought a tubular BMR k-member for my car when I had the motor out. Then I discovered they shouldn't be used in street/DD applications due to the single cross-tube design bending. You know, where there's a single large bar that connects one side to the other? ****. Well, I started thinking, what are the forces on that single center bar in a turn? If a tubular k-member with two parallel bars across the center is considered a road race application (by UMI, BMR, etc), could the same effect be accomplished with a STB rigidly connected to the top of the engine bay?

I'm of the mind (convinced) a STB does virtually nothing for a stock k-membered, non-road-raced F-body. But what about where tubular K-members are used? I really hope to get a straight response without mention of waffles and the impact of light weight alloys for forks...
Stop trying to change the subject!

So your asking if having the STB at the top could help distribute less lateral force on the k-member? I don't know the official answer but I'm guessing it won't make much difference when I think about it. Extra bracing in the k-member is probably what's needed
Old 10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Stop trying to change the subject!

So your asking if having the STB at the top could help distribute less lateral force on the k-member? I don't know the official answer but I'm guessing it won't make much difference when I think about it. Extra bracing in the k-member is probably what's needed
My apologies, I find my waffle consumption increases dramatically in the morning hours... wtf?

But really, I know that k-member is not optimal for DD duties. But would it be possible that the brace would "box" the k-member/frame rails/strut towers to provide additional lateral rigidity in a tubular k-member scenario? Basically, would that strut tower brace be more beneficial for a tube k-member scenario than a stock k-member?

I apologize for going
Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MYLSWON-ws6
Good God ... think about it ...

If you do, then how in the world can the car hold a front end alignment?

And if you do, then you have issues that an STB won't fix.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive been ripped!! I just paid 50 bucks for a STB!!!! Oh well, same people who say they are worthless tell me msd wires are better then granatelli, " i feel as though they are at least equal"

Guess i can just use my stb as a club!!! Or put it on my car for internet bragging rights...

Lol but really , it was only 50 bucks, looks cool, and if it helps 1% then cool, if not hell you guys don't have to drive it..
Old 02-05-2012, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

I had one on my 95 Z28. It didnt really give me a handling improvement, but it made a nice place to lean on when looking over the engine bay for burnt plug wires. haha
Old 02-05-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95LTXZ28
I had one on my 95 Z28. It didnt really give me a handling improvement, but it made a nice place to lean on when looking over the engine bay for burnt plug wires. haha
Finally a reason to get one!!!!! Good it will be 50 bucks well spent!!!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 173 Likes on 155 Posts

If Chevy put a strut tower brace on the new ZL1 Camaro it must be there for a reason.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Nathan C
If Chevy put a strut tower brace on the new ZL1 Camaro it must be there for a reason.
I'm not sure.. just tried to do a search on if the 5th gen has a strut suspension. If it does then that would explain why. Struts need more support the way the suspension is designed. Most strut supensions have factory STBs these days. The 4th gen absorbs most of the lateral force through the K-member.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I'm not sure.. just tried to do a search on if the 5th gen has a strut suspension.
FWIW..... it does.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

I had one and it works..
Old 02-07-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nathan C
You mean like a catalytic convertor?

Realize, a 3rd gen and 5th gen actually do have a strut front suspension. A 4th gen has an SLA suspension using upper and lower A-Arms.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I seem to notice a slight difference when shifting during acceration combined with lane change or cornering... Otherwise almost no difference... Very slight but deffinatly noticable in the right circumstances..
Old 02-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.calibersrt4.net/diy-forum...-measured.html

Quick Reply: Strut Tower Brace Bar?