Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear suspension concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry rear suspension concerns

This is a problem I've been dealing with for a while. When I purchased my '02 Camaro 35th LE it had the original Bilstein shocks and a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs on it. The rear suspension apeared to set lower than the front and it wasn't long before one of the shocks had busted.

This made me feel the rear springs were weak so I decided to replace them with the same set and I also replaced the Bilsteins with KYB adjustables. At first everything seemed great but it wasn't long before the rear seemed low and I was dealing wit a rattle that just made me feel like the rear end would fall off from under the car . I've tried to tighten everything I can think of but with no success . Right now the back end seems to bounce like the shocks don't work any longer and when going over a bump that is as small as an inch, the rear just rattles like crazy and can be heard from outside the car as well. What the hell could be wrong with this ? Does anybody know? Please help, considering driving the car into a telephone pole!! LOL!!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the sportlines on mine and the only issue i had was the panhard bar bolt was hitting the parking brake cable bracket on the passenger side, sounded like something was rattling, bent it out of the way and all was fine, had the bounce you are describing too until i installed a set of comp. engineering rear shocks set at 50/50, now its no more. hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by burnemup!
This is a problem I've been dealing with for a while. When I purchased my '02 Camaro 35th LE it had the original Bilstein shocks and a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs on it. The rear suspension apeared to set lower than the front and it wasn't long before one of the shocks had busted.

This made me feel the rear springs were weak so I decided to replace them with the same set and I also replaced the Bilsteins with KYB adjustables. At first everything seemed great but it wasn't long before the rear seemed low and I was dealing wit a rattle that just made me feel like the rear end would fall off from under the car . I've tried to tighten everything I can think of but with no success . Right now the back end seems to bounce like the shocks don't work any longer and when going over a bump that is as small as an inch, the rear just rattles like crazy and can be heard from outside the car as well. What the hell could be wrong with this ? Does anybody know? Please help, considering driving the car into a telephone pole!! LOL!!
What kind of KYB adjustables did you install?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running airlift airbags on mine.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Thanks for info. I will check on the parking brake bracket. As for the shocks they are the KYB AGX. As for the airlift airbags, I would really hate to spend anything additional on this to band-aid it. No offense. I would rather replace everything if necessary. Know what I mean. I had actually seen where another person had issues similar that recommended getting adjustable coil spring perches for them. Only problem was, couldn't find any but it seemed perfectly logical to do. I hear about people stating that the Eibachs sag over time, granted mine have only been on there for less than a year, and they recommended the Strano sets. Just trying to guage opinions on other's experience.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Eibach springs are known to sag in the rear, this is common for these springs.

To cure the problem I would recommend a new set of lowering springs, preferably the Strano Performance lowering springs. The KYB's will be okay, if they are bouncy try the different settings... they could be two stiff or two soft depending on the type of "bounce"
Old 10-07-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

If you have the $$

Koni SA + Strano Springs + Strano Sway Bars = Win..!! Take from another LE owner you can't go wrong with this package.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

About the rattles, did you check the bushings -- LCAs, Panhard, bumpstops?

For shocks I would pickup some Koni SAs if you can fund them.