Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake fluid flush???

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SJMMFGINC
First it decreases performance as water has a higher compressibility rate vs. brake fluid. Temperature will affect rate of change which gives less predicable and repeatable results. This is why the wet boiling point comes into factor too. The delta change is not linear either.
What is the difference in compressibility between liquid water and the glycol based or ester based fluids? Is it even perceptible by foot compared to the difference in compressibility between those liquids and a gas?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It proportional with temperature and pressure which is different that of the brake fluid so I can't give you an exact set number. You could take one instance in time and measure the differences and then extrapolate values based on estimated conditions but for all intensive purposes on this forum, just take it for what it is:-). This is one reason why brakes can feel "mushy" when the brake fluid is highly diluted, it will be worse at some times based on said conditions. You'll have to look at a vapor dome and other data for comparison if you want to get more technical about it.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

SJM- You got it right on. As I was reading through, I was wondering if anyone was going to mention that the water absorbtion rusts out the brakes lines internally.
I work for a dealer that sells BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Saab, Volkswagen and Mazda. All the German brands have a set replacement time for brake flushes, usually during the maintenances. (20k, 30k...) I work the Mazda line and they do not have a set replacement time. Only to check it every 5K and replace as needed. We used to combine it with our maintenances as well, every 30K. My manager recently removed them from the maintenances saying that "Mazda doesnt recommend it at certain intervals, so we're not doing it". So now its a lot harder to sell these flushes to customers at seperate times or now saying when they do come in for the maintenance that its also recommended to do the flush and its gonna cost this much more...... We charge $120 I believe, (2 pints of fluid+labor). Alot of people dont believe in doing this, mostly because they have never known it was done or just think "hey, my brakes work just fine when I step on the pedal, what are they trying to sell me now that i dont need" The whole "stealership" thing...... We use a vacuum based tool to pull the fluid through to each caliper. When I empty it, not only do you get this dark fluid from the water absorbtion, but there's usually a sort of sediment at the bottom of dirt/metal particles. Just think of what that stuff is doing to your piston seals as they work back and forth everytime! And how well does the water provide lubrication to seals and pistons versus fresh brake fluid? Plus think that your brake fluid goes through how many heat cycles, just like trans fluid and engine oil, causing a break down of its properties over time. Why would you not change your brake fluid just the same as you do your engine oil, trans fluid, differential oil.....etc. The only time I do not usually recommend this is when its a high mileage vehicle that has never had it done before. I know that the bleeders have never been opened before and I dont want to risk breaking one off.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SJMMFGINC
It proportional with temperature and pressure which is different that of the brake fluid so I can't give you an exact set number. You could take one instance in time and measure the differences and then extrapolate values based on estimated conditions but for all intensive purposes on this forum, just take it for what it is:-). This is one reason why brakes can feel "mushy" when the brake fluid is highly diluted, it will be worse at some times based on said conditions. You'll have to look at a vapor dome and other data for comparison if you want to get more technical about it.
Sure, I was just wondering about a ballpark since it doesn't seem like it would really matter much compared to compressibility of gas phase water after you get enough temperature to boil it out, or if you have air in the lines.

Like they say ester base (like Castrol SRF, which does also have glycol) is more compressible than the glycol but I doubt many notice it too much in pedal feel. They also say the sillicone DOT5 is something like 2-3 times more compressible and is noticeable, although I have never driven a car with silicone fluid.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

I honestly doubt a regular Joe in a street car with OEm type barkes could feel the compressibility difference between water, glycol and ester based fluids.

But only one of those fluids transitions to a gas at 212* and I would hope that ANY Joe could feel the difference between water, glycol, ester and steam.

And at 80* ambient temps, it doesn't take very much braking to reach 212*.

The bad thing is that when fluid boiling occurs, its typically when you really need your brakes ... and you don't have them.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
So I went to Firestone today and after getting my tires rotated the mechanic does his usual list of recommended maintenance. He tells me my brake fluid needs flushed, that it's registering this color on his stick that he uses to check it, and that means it is "dangerously" dirty. I haven't had a look at the fluid myself yet but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on this were.

1. Are brake fluid flushes required? Necessary? Recommended? They wanted to charge me $63 for one.

2. Can I do a brake flush myself? Or just drain the fluid and refill it with new stuff?

Thanks in advance.
honestly you may need a shop to do it. with the abs modules, it's possible to get air trapped in there resulting in less than optimal performance. could you get a decent pedal doing it at home? eh probably. but letting a shop with the equipment to purge the abs system is the best route.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I know people who go years without changing their engine oil.
Those people are idiots, they're killing their bearings. Brake fluid sits still basically and moves back and forth..........LITTLE different then engine oil bud.....

What I was TRYING to say was that the mechanic is a cheeseball to say "dangerously" dirty. No such thing. Brakes don't have dirty, old fluid and then one day 100% stop working, making it dangerous.

My brake fluid, as of a month ago, was 13 1/2 years old. I never once even had to top off the fluid. It was clean and just fine. So if his was "dangerously" dirty....then I should have crashed like 8-9 years ago.

Typical mechanic scare tactics to get work.............

My brake system now has steel lines and high performance fluid.....I won't change the fluid for years, no way......

Old 11-04-2011, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
Those people are idiots, they're killing their bearings. Brake fluid sits still basically and moves back and forth..........LITTLE different then engine oil bud.....

What I was TRYING to say was that the mechanic is a cheeseball to say "dangerously" dirty. No such thing. Brakes don't have dirty, old fluid and then one day 100% stop working, making it dangerous.

My brake fluid, as of a month ago, was 13 1/2 years old. I never once even had to top off the fluid. It was clean and just fine. So if his was "dangerously" dirty....then I should have crashed like 8-9 years ago.

Typical mechanic scare tactics to get work.............

My brake system now has steel lines and high performance fluid.....I won't change the fluid for years, no way......

Is your brake fluid still crystal clear as it was 13.58 years ago? Completely devoid of color or haze?
Old 11-05-2011, 01:34 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Duffster
Is your brake fluid still crystal clear as it was 13.58 years ago? Completely devoid of color or haze?
The 13 1/2 year old fluid was not that discolored......definitely could see through it.

Now its crystal clear because its brand new.

What exactly are you asking......?

Old 11-05-2011, 04:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by why87
honestly you may need a shop to do it. with the abs modules, it's possible to get air trapped in there resulting in less than optimal performance. could you get a decent pedal doing it at home? eh probably. but letting a shop with the equipment to purge the abs system is the best route.
By a Motive-brand pressure bleeder and air in the lines and the ABS module won't be a problem. AND it only takes 15 minutes or so to do the whole system.

But, then again, bleeding with a buddy using the 'top off...pump...pump...pump...HOLD DOWN...release' and repeat method won't introduce air into the system either. Unless, you let the master cylinder do dry.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

LITTLE different than engine oil bud ... irony is a bitch, ain't it?

I was just using your logic, that's all. Faulty logic ... but logic, none the less.

Again, using your logic and thought process, a fluid that's hygroscopic and is 100% saturated with water (brake fluid is hygroscopic and begins absorbing humidity immediately) and then sits in metal lines for 13.5 years will cause no degredation to metal parts.

Is that really how you think?

Do you ever change your brake pads? Metal backing plates will actually stop the car, so what's the point, right?

Interesting ...

Oh and in a solid, presurized system like a braking system, the fluid doesn't "move back and forth". It simply compresses, creating hydraulilc pressure. There is movement ... miniscual movement ... more at the master cyclinder and almost nothing at the caliper. But it doesn't flow through the lines like in a power steering system.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I have been following this thread for a day or two now. I had been waiting for the weekend to come to change my brake fluid and holy $hit was it nasty. A buddy helped my change it out and it looks like soda. We used the motive pressure bleeder and flushed the whole system out and neither of us could believe how nasty the fluid was.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
LITTLE different than engine oil bud ... irony is a bitch, ain't it?

I was just using your logic, that's all. Faulty logic ... but logic, none the less.

Again, using your logic and thought process, a fluid that's hygroscopic and is 100% saturated with water (brake fluid is hygroscopic and begins absorbing humidity immediately) and then sits in metal lines for 13.5 years will cause no degredation to metal parts.

Is that really how you think?

Do you ever change your brake pads? Metal backing plates will actually stop the car, so what's the point, right?

Interesting ...

Oh and in a solid, presurized system like a braking system, the fluid doesn't "move back and forth". It simply compresses, creating hydraulilc pressure. There is movement ... miniscual movement ... more at the master cyclinder and almost nothing at the caliper. But it doesn't flow through the lines like in a power steering system.
Funny.. You can correct LS6427's posts yet you fail to ensure that your own are correct lol.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a pic of the nasty $hit that came out of my system... I dont think its ever been changed.
Attached Thumbnails Brake fluid flush???-img_20111105_130455.jpg  
Old 11-05-2011, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firemech21
Here is a pic of the nasty $hit that came out of my system... I dont think its ever been changed.
Looks yummy. Did you notice a sizable difference in brake performance after you replaced the fluid?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The pedal only moves an inch, where it used to move 4 or 5.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Teching In

That guy is full of **** man.....no such thing as "dangerously" dirty......I just changed my fluid after 13 1/2 years. It just gets moisture in it, making the brakes mushy over years and years......its not like one second you have brakes and the next you die...... They will always keep working as long as you don't spring a big leak and have no pressure.

I did steal braided lines last month so I thought I'd flush the entire system while we were at it.

It takes two guys 15 minutes to bleed all the old fluid out and the new fluid in. EASY...... They even have a little gizmo now so you can do it all by yourself......

Simply bleed the brakes one at a time.....take a turkey baster and suck all the brake fluid you can out of the master cylinder. Then top it off with new fluid. Starting with the REAR RIGHT..Bleed it till new, clean fluid comes out. Then top off the fluid again. Then go to the REAR LEFT till new fluid comes out. Top of the fluid. Then go to the FRONT RIGHT till new fluid comes out. Top of the fluid. Then go to the FRONT LEFT and bleed it till new fluid comes out. Now the entire system has new fluid, except a tiny dribble in the ABS box....meaningless.

Each time you bleed a caliper, the fluid in the master cylinder doesn't really drop that much......BUT make sure you DO NOT let it run dry.

We had to go around and bleed them TWO times......just because I wanted to make sure all the old was out and all the air.

Actually you're wrong. Each fluid has additives in it that create an RA value. A value that determines the fluids reserve alkalinity. As heat and time break down the fluid they become more acidic. The additives buffer the fluid and prevent it from acidifying as fast. As you can imagine you don't want acidic fluid inside metal lines, cylinders and calipers.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

buy some speed bleeders and you can do it yourself
Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by firemech21
how sure are you that they didnt use used 5w30 for your brake fluid? hahaha
Old 08-20-2013, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I change my brake fluid when I open the cap to check it (every time I change my oil) and it has a hint of a brown tint to it. I usually don't bleed the fluid out though. I use a turkey baster and suck all the fluid out of the reservoir and then top it back off. Yeah i know its a half *** way to do it but it better than doing nothing at all. So far I've done this ~ 5 times since the car was new.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid flush???