Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake fluid flush???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I flush mine whenever it's dirty now. At one point in time my brake fluid was literally BLACK so I figured what the heck I'll flush it. Bought a Mitey Vac for $35 from Harbor Freight and a big container of Super Blue Racing Fluid from Summit Racing for $12 then flushed it in under an hour. Let me tell you first hand my brakes before the flush were hard as a rock and I had brake fade after a single stop. Now I have a much better "feel" to the brakes and they do not fade anymore like before. It may be the fluid change but I wouldn't doubt the dirty fluid played a part. Dirty fluid could also eat up the seals in the master brake cylinder FWIW. Moral of the story - Don't pay Firestone $63 to flush your brakes. Do it in the garage and you will be able to flush it for cheap for now on. A big container will get you 5 flushes at least.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport01
I change my brake fluid when I open the cap to check it (every time I change my oil) and it has a hint of a brown tint to it. I usually don't bleed the fluid out though. I use a turkey baster and suck all the fluid out of the reservoir and then top it back off. Yeah i know its a half *** way to do it but it better than doing nothing at all. So far I've done this ~ 5 times since the car was new.
But brake fluid does not really circulate through the system, so you are only changing the fluid in the reservoir. There is no return from the wheel to the master. The worn out, dirty stuff, is still in the calipers and over time will cause brake fade and ruin the calipers.

Like dirtbag says, a Mity Vac is a great tool that you can use to pull clean fluid through your system without introducing air or needing anyone to help you. No brake pumping needed.

I change out my fluid each year with the Mity Vac. Super Blue DOT 4 one year, then amber DOT 4 the next year. You can tell by the color when you have pulled new fluid to each wheel. Great little gadget!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never needed a Mity Vac. Just some one to pump the pedal. I also have a Mity Vac.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
LITTLE different than engine oil bud ... irony is a bitch, ain't it?

I was just using your logic, that's all. Faulty logic ... but logic, none the less.

Again, using your logic and thought process, a fluid that's hygroscopic and is 100% saturated with water (brake fluid is hygroscopic and begins absorbing humidity immediately) and then sits in metal lines for 13.5 years will cause no degredation to metal parts.

Is that really how you think?

Do you ever change your brake pads? Metal backing plates will actually stop the car, so what's the point, right?

Interesting ...

Oh and in a solid, presurized system like a braking system, the fluid doesn't "move back and forth". It simply compresses, creating hydraulilc pressure. There is movement ... miniscual movement ... more at the master cyclinder and almost nothing at the caliper. But it doesn't flow through the lines like in a power steering system.
A sample should have been sent to Blackstone Labs. Would have been interesting results.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATE Super Blue is now banned in the US. Now it wont be as easy to tell if you've flushed your brake system thoroughly.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

speed bleerders make things easier
Old 09-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

I did mine with Motul 600

Quick Reply: Brake fluid flush???