Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Someone talk me in to Koni 4/4s and stranos...my bank account is going to be hurting

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts

Just a gentle reminder. When you guys go out on the web to shop, there are two things you need to be aware of.

1. You aren't supporting the vendors, like me, who dedicate a ton of time not only to developing the setups, but to this site. Koni's were never really used by anyone here except for those few that had them on the cars originally on some 1LE's. It is pretty sucky when you bust you *** and someone else gets the reward. Just think about someone taking information you developed at your job, then going and paying someone else less to do work you do.

2. Prices: I have to say, my prices are WAY more than fair. I can't control what someone else is doing, and with the world the way it is, there will probably always be someone cheaper. But you have to consider what value you are getting for the price. There is an old saying that is pretty much true. The bitterness of a poor service lingers long after the sweetness of a super deal wears off. I mention this for a few reasons. Koni instructions are pretty poor. There are details and tricks I've come up with over the years that can make install and long term results easier and better. Also, since I developed my springs with the Koni's specifically I can be of much better help in setting them up and explaining how damping changes effect things. This is the kind of information and detail you will not get from someone not familiar with this car in particular, or who is just selling shocks for "the best deal". If you really look around, you'll see my Koni prices are actually pretty freakin' screaming in the grand scheme of things.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you 100% Mr. Strano. I was too busy looking for the best price to even consider the effort and knowledge you have dedicated to this setup. Also you forgot to mention that Stranoparts.com is an AUTHORIZED dealer for koni and working out warranty problems would be much easier dealing with you. After thinking about this today, I tried to cancel my order with the seller, but it was already too late. All of the other products I mentioned will be bought through stranoparts.com. I really appreciate all that you and the other sponsors have done for this community. THANK YOU
Old 11-09-2011, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Just a gentle reminder. When you guys go out on the web to shop, there are two things you need to be aware of.

1. You aren't supporting the vendors. It is pretty sucky when you bust you *** and someone else gets the reward.
Oh, but I do support the vendors. I was planning on purchasing if not the exact setup I want, then other components for my car from you. I already have 550lb springs up front that came with my Edelebrock IAS coilovers, and am using 168-216lb progressive Hypercoil rear springs. Switching to "your" spring rates is the natural course of progression, since the only difference in rates (not counting weight and other factors) is a linear, softer rear spring rate. Sorry if I offended you, but the spring rate combo you initially used isn't that far off from many aftermarket F-body offerings. Does it work? Yes. Did you bust *** to fine tune it? Sure. Should you get worked up over somebody ordering coilover springs with the same rate, even if being ordered through you? Hardly. I still aim to order products from you.

2. Prices: I have to say, my prices are WAY more than fair. If you really look around, you'll see my Koni prices are actually pretty freakin' screaming in the grand scheme of things.
That they are. I picked up a set of Konis for free that needed rebuilding. Buying used (and crappy) was the ONLY way that I could have saved any money on Konis vs. purchasing through you.

I can only assume you directed this message towards "__Z__". In which case, I can understand the frustration.

Last edited by ZexGX; 11-09-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 137 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Oh, but I do support the vendors. I was planning on purchasing if not the exact setup I want, then other components for my car from you. I already have 550lb springs up front that came with my Edelebrock IAS coilovers, and am using 168-216lb progressive Hypercoil rear springs. Switching to "your" spring rates is the natural course of progression, since the only difference in rates (not counting weight and other factors) is a linear, softer rear spring rate. Sorry if I offended you, but the spring rate combo you initially used isn't that far off from many aftermarket F-body offerings. Does it work? Yes. Did you bust *** to fine tune it? Sure. Should you get worked up over somebody ordering coilover springs with the same rate, even if being ordered through you? Hardly. I still aim to order products from you.
"Isn't that far off" does not mean the same. A lot of tires are similar, but they aren't the same. Headers? Cams? Brake pads? TV's? Shoes? Wax? Burger King, McD's, White Castle, and Wendy's are all fast food burger joints but not the same.

For instance a 10 lb/in rate change on the rear spring rate I use is about 6-7% different. That's tangible. Think about the folks that run Eibach rears that are 137 and switch to my 150's and it's like a different world. It's a 13 pound change, but on a percentage basis that's something that matters.

I suppose I could have just whipped up some springs that were completely different in rate at both ends, but the thing is I wanted stuff that worked the way I want it to work, and I could not find that combination (that's part of the key here the front and rear spring rates together) so I made it. And fwiw, yes you can replicate rates if you want. But how much money and time have you invested so far?

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ZexGX
I can only assume you directed this message towards "__Z__". In which case, I can understand the frustration.
Yea thats my bad lol, I was just trying to read between the lines and failed miserable haha
Old 11-09-2011, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

But how much money and time have you invested so far?
That is another reason why I tell people to go Koni/Strano (or BMR). So they don't make the mistakes I have.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Launching!

I run Koni's, Eibachs, and a Watts link on my DD (98 camaro). It carves pretty good for me. Might try the Koni/Strano's on my vert.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Springs already shipped to my house along with the PHB. Surprised by how fast it came in. Waiting on my shocks then time to rock and roll. On a side not, Sam called me personally to confirm my order. He made sure I knew exactly what I was getting. Can't beat that customer service. Will deal with him again.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
If you really don't care about handling at all, Bilstiens wouldn't hurt you if you want to save some money. But if you do care about handling then its atleast Konis, I don't see any good reason not to.
As far as price, I don't see them as unreasonable by any means, considering how drastically they change the car, and I can't think of anything else for around that price (what around $800 now?) that makes anywhere near the difference they make.
I love seeing this thrown around when people are spending thousands on heads/cam/supporting mods to gain 50+RWHP, that's only useful when your going WOT (which only lasts for a few seconds at a time anyway), where as the shocks are working 100% of the time you are driving the car and you can feel them 100% of the time (that nice, solid, firm feel like a German sports sedan). Your getting better ride, significantly better handling, feel, balance, control and you get adjustable to tune all that to your liking or a certain spring rate, and a life time warranty to boot. These have been hands down the best mod (and best money spent) ive done to this car.

Yes. This. Very well said. I kick myself for not doing it much much sooner.

Quick Reply: Someone talk me in to Koni 4/4s and stranos...my bank account is going to be hurting