Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Coilover question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover question

Has anyone used the Kw's for the F-body?? Pros cons?

or has anyone found a good stiff spring/strut combo..

I really want coilovers to adjust the height and the damper, but they are so damn expensive.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few members in here that use KW but they are far and few. Sam Strano sells KWs and can give you more info about them.

I currently use ground control coil overs with bilstein dampeners. So far have been very happy with them, it has been 2 years. There are a multitude of spring rates available especially for the front. The front uses the universal coil over springs that any circle track retailer would have as well as eibach, h&r etc.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And as far as adjustable dampening goes, Konis can be used with the ground control set up.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

While true, there are other issues to consider.

1. Running a GC setup on Koni's requires work and some modification to the Koni to fit them. That can be a pain and would technically void the warranty vs. a KW V3 that's a setup system with a full intact warranty.

2. KW V3's are independently double adjustable, like Koni DA's.... but again there is the warranty thing. And Koni SA's are what save you some bucks with a GC setup, but then you don't actually have the same type damper (now you are comparing SA Koni's to DA KW V3's.

3. I use a lot of V3's on Mustangs, they rock. I've used some on Camaro's, but to be honest with the older car folks tend to want to buy less expensive parts. I've sold a few sets of V3's to F-body owners, and all have been happy enough. But it's a limited market as the cars get older and cheaper the folks buying them tend not to spend $2k on suspension parts being younger and sometimes a little idealistic about how well cheaper stuff works.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info!

I'm going to look into the site, the price is better then anywhere else for the Kw's and I want a true coilover.

I also like the fact I can drop the car more then a spring can
Old 12-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
While true, there are other issues to consider.

1. Running a GC setup on Koni's requires work and some modification to the Koni to fit them. That can be a pain and would technically void the warranty vs. a KW V3 that's a setup system with a full intact warranty.

2. KW V3's are independently double adjustable, like Koni DA's.... but again there is the warranty thing. And Koni SA's are what save you some bucks with a GC setup, but then you don't actually have the same type damper (now you are comparing SA Koni's to DA KW V3's.

3. I use a lot of V3's on Mustangs, they rock. I've used some on Camaro's, but to be honest with the older car folks tend to want to buy less expensive parts. I've sold a few sets of V3's to F-body owners, and all have been happy enough. But it's a limited market as the cars get older and cheaper the folks buying them tend not to spend $2k on suspension parts being younger and sometimes a little idealistic about how well cheaper stuff works.

What would you say about this set up, IAS Coil-over/shock kit... as far as handling and lowering the car?
Old 12-04-2011, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

I've been looking at the AFCO set-up lately. They have a set-up out that was installed in a GMHT mag that seemed pretty nice. I called AFCO and they said their coilover can be had in DA @ $300 apeice.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 98blkz28
What would you say about this set up, IAS Coil-over/shock kit... as far as handling and lowering the car?
Those shocks are non adjustable, and not in the same damping league as a Koni or KW. Also, that kit doesn't have any rear springs or weight jackers included. And Edelbrock doesn't even make a kit so you end up piecing stuff together while costs are rising. I sell IAS's, because it's option I need to offer... but it's not one I recommend.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:43 AM
10 Second Club

Any opinion on the AFCO's Sam?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I've been looking at the AFCO set-up lately. They have a set-up out that was installed in a GMHT mag that seemed pretty nice. I called AFCO and they said their coilover can be had in DA @ $300 apeice.
Apples and oranges. Do they come with springs? What rate? How is the rear spring setup done? How are they valved. What's the warranty? (KW is lifetime to the original owner against defects)

Further, you will find KW's on handling applications around the world. From the Dodge Viper ACR/ACR-X to cars that have won the 24 Hours of the Nurburgring.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have KW V3s on my 2005 GTO. They are simply excellent for a track/street shock. They are certainly more focused for a road racing setup that can be driven on the street, rather than the other way around - making them ideal, IMO.

While different than the F-Body setup mostly in fitments and internal design, they share the 19 settings for rebound on the top of the shock and 14 settings for compression located on the bottom. This gives you 266 possible options for shock settings, which means they can be difficult to dial in. But, this is GREAT for a road racer looking to get the car to really stick and not be agitated by imperfections in the track surface and rumble strips.

Once I got my car dialed in, I left it that way because I just wanted to go home after I unloaded the trailer. I haven't touched my settings since. In other words, I kept them on the track settings for the street. I have spoken with a few other guys who started using my exact settings and love them.

The KW coilover setup is something I will install on all my performance vehicles. They have an absolutely great reputation throughout the racing world, Europe, and slowly gaining steam in the US. The stainless bodies are sharp looking, too. We can sell them as well.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-13-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: odd fonts
Old 12-05-2011, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

Sam do you have a Koni coilover kit with the proper valving for these cars?
Old 12-06-2011, 01:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I do not. Here's the deal. To run a coil-over on a Koni, it requires modifying the shock... and that voids the warranty. Are there kits to do it? Yes, there are. Do they work? Yes. Are they a pain to install on the fronts? Yes.

I used to sell kits like that for Koni, but between folks not understanding how to do it, and the companies being a pain in the *** to deal with.... and the fact that I made my springs based on the spring rates and height I found worked best for handling on less than pristine surfaces, it kind of made it redundant.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, thanks for the answers.. I really think the Kw's are my best be though expensive, I won't have to mod the setup and they come with a lifetime warranty, even better and the more height, rebound, etc. adjustments make them more appealing.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Expensive? Certainly compared to say a set of Bilstein's. Not so much compared to even a nice set of headers, or even really good tires.

You'd be silly to put these on a car you don't like, or won't keep. Doesn't make sense.... but it does make sense if you are really trying to get a premium product on the car that will do a number of different things, and do it without hassle.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Expensive? Certainly compared to say a set of Bilstein's. Not so much compared to even a nice set of headers, or even really good tires.

You'd be silly to put these on a car you don't like, or won't keep. Doesn't make sense.... but it does make sense if you are really trying to get a premium product on the car that will do a number of different things, and do it without hassle.
Compared to other products, maybe more inferior ones, but yes my tires are not cheap, my brakes/rotors arent cheap, so why should my suspension be
Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I agree, completely.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Hello Sam, I have been following this thread and really appreciate the information. I am also considering a coil-over set and was wondering if there was any other setup worth considering other than the KWs? At least for a 4th gen camaro? Street/autocross

Again, thank you for your opinion and time
Old 12-13-2011, 03:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Not really.... I mean you have drag race kind of shocks and springs which don't work nearly as well as a good set of shocks like Koni or Bilstein and good springs. Edelbrock has a "coil-over" setup but it's got some issues. It's front only, doesn't even come with rear springs let along rear height adjustment, and the shocks aren't adjustable for damping at all.

Quick Reply: Coilover question