Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Time to lower 2001 SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to lower 2001 SS

I want to lower my car I just don't no what items I must have just to lower it, this is my dd car and it never sees the track, was going to buy the bmr front springs and do the hose mod to the rear. I just don't no everything I need to lower the car anyhelp would be great. Fyi I want the car to be lowered about an inch and I have on the 27 of dec 295/35/18 on the rear
Old 12-12-2011, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good morning nowlin.

You could try these: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=113&ModelID=7

And discuss shocks with Sam while you're at it.

When lowering, the lateral location (side-to-side) of your rear wheels change so you should realign using one of our Panhard bars: http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=355

Let me know if you have any add'l questions.

ramey
Old 12-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Teching In

So all I need is the springs and the adj panhard bars? I plan on getting new shocks down the road. And know I will have to get the wheels realined but other than that that's it ?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

Yup, put the lowering springs in and PHB on. Drive it around a few miles to settle everything. Final adjust on PHB to perfectly center the rear wheels. Then to the alignment shop.

New shocks are optimal but you can use your existing ones for awhile. Just don't expect infinite life out of them.

Happy Lowering.

ramey
Old 12-12-2011, 10:41 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Lowering on your factory shocks, if they are DeCarbons, isn't always the best idea, but sometimes it works out just fine. But I would like to disclose that first. Doing the hose mod out back really isn't much of a drop so it shouldn't offset the rear too much. But, any reduction in ride height means that the panhard will be too long. If you're looking to do it right, you really should install an adjustable panhard bar. Our springs being a 1.25 inch spring usually gives the car a nice, subtle rake with the hose mod.

These are our two most popular choices for street/strip cars:
PHR002

PHR010

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:05 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

its all about budget. if you want top quality, get strano springs, konis, and a UMI adjustable PHB. If you want to spend less get bilstiens.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pjb
its all about budget. if you want top quality, get strano springs, konis, and a UMI adjustable PHB. If you want to spend less get bilstiens.
This is what I have. Very pleased and an easy install.
Stock shocks with lowered springs is a horrible ride. If not right away, it won't take long.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Bmr tech2 what's the diffrence in the two adj panhard bars? 1 for the steet and 1 for the track or what?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NowlinX22
Bmr tech2 what's the diffrence in the two adj panhard bars? 1 for the steet and 1 for the track or what?
They can be used for either. The PHR002 is our most popular bar we sell for the F-Body. It uses polyurethane on both ends and does a fair job of isolating many of the road noises because of this. We try to push this one to more of the street/strip guys or street guys who like handling.

The PHR010, on the other hand, only has one side poly, the other is a rod end. The rod end is great because it is a precision piece while the poly will flex around a little. Over the time, rod ends tend to wear out a little bit...or as I like to say, "break-in" and can generate some rattles. Which is why we push it more as a race-inspired part. Having the poly side mounted to the body and the rod end mounted on the rearend makes for a fairly good compromise for many.

But, if any increase in suspension noise is a fear of yours, then the PHR002 will introduce the least amount.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Teching In

Strano springs and Koni 4/4 shocks on my DD car with UMI adj panhard bar. Night and day difference from stock and I love the stance. Can't go wrong with the Strano lowering springs in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Time to lower 2001 SS