Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

how noticeable is 32mm sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stranoparts' are both hollow. Edelbrock also makes a hollow front bar. Hotchkis has hollow bars too, different sizes...
Old 12-17-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Strano 35/22 is by far the best not that the others aren't significant upgrades....Get the konis with them and trust me you will will have your passengers almost having bowel movements in your car once you learn the limits of the setup..... Yeah being lowered has some compromises but done right it is well worth it.....

Yes I speak from firsthand experince.....
Old 12-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im strongly considering the Strano 35/22 iv heard countless good things about them
Old 12-18-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

^ It can't hurt. He has hollow bars in which the weight savings is a great benefit. It's pretty much a win/win.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A 32mm front with a 19mm is fine balance wise. You won't (and shouldn't) run a bigger rear bar with a 32 in front. The balance is good, in fact my bars and 35/22's in general, are balanced very similarly.... just with a whole lot less body roll.

I of course carry my bars. I also have others, including UMI's which are the same size but solid which makes them a good bit heavier (you trade cost for weight). We use somewhat different hardware as well and I'm a little partial to the links and bushings I use....

I also have other things, like Hotchkis bars and Adjustable rear bars (Hotchkis and Strano) if you want some more flexibility in tuning the balance/response of the car.
I've had Sam's hollow front 35 bar on for a while and ordered his 22 hollow rear on friday. The front bar made the steering a bit more responsive and gave it a bit more snap, but it DOES understeer if you push it (w the stock rear bar.) Got the rear 22mm bar to match and to go with the Koni/Strano setup I plan on getting this winter. I was looking at the Hotchkis adj rear bar, but I'm gonna trust Strano and get his entire setup to replace my worn out older stuff.

Sam also matches his bars to his springs and Koni SA's... IIRC, Sam?

Last edited by bayer-z28; 12-18-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Teching In

that sounds like pretty good stuff, if you could, give me and update when you install the rear id like to know how it feels w that one added.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:22 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Mine are hollow, and they save you something on the order of 20+ pounds.. can be more just depends on what size hollows you are comparing to what size solids.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-19-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by btate868
that sounds like pretty good stuff, if you could, give me and update when you install the rear id like to know how it feels w that one added.
It may have to wait till the spring. Not sure if I'll have a warm enough day where I can trust taking the car out without the risk of it sliding around due to cold tires and ice cold roads. The bar should be in this week. I have a couple projects on the car that I started and have yet to finish. I'd like to get the springs and shocks done first before I take the car out just because it's borderline unpleasant to drive now with the worn out parts.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Teching In

ok yea i see what you mean, i often forget that not everywhere is nice right now.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Whenever I have to replace any of my stuff, I'm going to go with a full Strano setup. One of the few guys you can call up and absolutely knows all his stuff with no BS. Tell him your plans and setup, and he will tell you what you need, even if it's not something he carries.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Took the car out with the new rear bar. It's prolly the cold roads, but I had NO traction today! Got it loose in 2nd around 45mph when testing my fuel pressure. Quite controllable provided it doesn't get out too far, but the NT05's don't seem to like the cold!

But Sam's bar was lighter than the stocker! 5lbs!

I know, I know....... I REALLY need a new rear end..
Old 12-27-2011, 11:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Took the car out with the new rear bar. It's prolly the cold roads, but I had NO traction today! Got it loose in 2nd around 45mph when testing my fuel pressure. Quite controllable provided it doesn't get out too far, but the NT05's don't seem to like the cold!

But Sam's bar was lighter than the stocker! 5lbs!

I know, I know....... I REALLY need a new rear end..
If I recall you were in Vegas then some other place it's a little warmer before CT, right?

Summer only tires are pretty useless when it's colder than about the mid 50's. So it'll be a while until you can get a really true test. But fwiw, this is why I don't run a rear bar the size of my forearm.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-27-2011, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

hahah my rear end looks exactly like yours rich! too much sustained high speed I think..I know thats where the whine came from any way what bullet are you running too? I want to add one since I ditched the cats.

btate- you should check out sam's watts link as well, sounds like its right up your alley
Old 12-28-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

^ It's the TSP Rumbler and I added the SLP PowerFlo muffler/tips to shut it up a little more.

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
If I recall you were in Vegas then some other place it's a little warmer before CT, right?

Summer only tires are pretty useless when it's colder than about the mid 50's. So it'll be a while until you can get a really true test. But fwiw, this is why I don't run a rear bar the size of my forearm.
Yeah.. I was in NM for 4 years and was pretty well settled there and wanted to stay indefinitely. But then ended up back here in shithole CT because I got Med boarded from the MIL, couldn't find a job and almost lost my house.. had to sell it quick.. Went BACK out west last summer or so (2010?) looking for work, that didn't pan out so I went out to drive truck for a while and finished seeing the country. Back to CT for now till I get stable for a year or two then move back to NM.. I miss it out there a lot. Much more affordable and soooo much warmer. I can't take this cold anymore.

And that's what I was thinking about the bar. Was looking at the Hotchkis adj rear bar and I figured, screw it.. I'm gonna trust Strano and the reviews on this and do his entire setup. Gonna need some double Roto UMI LCA's to replace my Hotchkis ones though..

Last edited by bayer-z28; 12-28-2011 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: how noticeable is 32mm sway bar