Benefit of UCA swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I'd like this but I've never asked if it's daily drivable:
http://www.cortexracing.com/store/su...3-2002-camaro/
That's some really nice/expensive stuff, but I'd have to say it's probably designed strictly for a race car, not a DD.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
I've had the GW del-a-lum UCA's for years in my daily driver and the only problem I've had is that the heads of the bolts damage the dust cover where it attaches to the spindle. I don't recall noticing a differences other than the ability to dial in more caster and camber. Your alignment will dictate your tire wear. If you don't need the additional alignment range say for autox/RR/HPDE, then decide how much you like swapping UCA bushings. If not very much, then I'd recomend a UCA with del-a-lum. I would prefer a heim joint but my concern is NVH in a daily driver.
I had a set of GW UCA's on my car quite a few yrs ago also and found that sealed stock like upper ball joints prevent that issue. I also ran into a compression travel issue with the GW UCA's with anything beyond a 1.2" drop.

If you still want a set then UMI has a set w/poly bushings that'll work good in that location, and they have already addressed the compression travel issue on there UCA, and there only about $162 right now, just about $20-$40 more that upgrading the factory UCA's with the GW del-a-lum bushing kit.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-26-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke to Filip at CorteX a while back and asked about this setup. The upper arm is relocated down low to have the correct geometry to package the upper arm inside the wheel for much increased tire clearance. Obviously the OEM spindles are eliminated and the Cortex Radial X drop spindles are used. This is great because the factory wheel bearings in these cars are a major weak point. I believe the upper arms are also available with rubber/poly mounts for street use.

https://picasaweb.google.com/cortex....eat=directlink

Old 01-08-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car in the picture belonged to Randy MacIntosh. It's since been destroyed in a wreck last year. He mentioned that he picked up 3 seconds at Sears Point just in changing to this suspension.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What's so weak about the factory bearings? I never had to replace mine even after 161k miles... of course, it was a freak car that broke things it shouldn't, and never broke things that it should. Ball joints were all original at 161k miles too and still tight.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
What's so weak about the factory bearings? I never had to replace mine even after 161k miles... of course, it was a freak car that broke things it shouldn't, and never broke things that it should. Ball joints were all original at 161k miles too and still tight.
Mostly people who auto-x and road race with 315 front tires.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh. Yeah, that could do it.

Quick Reply: Benefit of UCA swap?