Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Putting stainless steel hard brake lines on

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Putting stainless steel hard brake lines on

Since I'm replacing all the line with stainless do I have to do anything special with the abs block while bleeding the lines?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 218 Likes on 178 Posts

get some of those flexible rubber plugs that plugs lines and when you remove a brake line plug it up..........save you TONS of bleeding afterwards
Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool28
Since I'm replacing all the line with stainless do I have to do anything special with the abs block while bleeding the lines?
I never had to do anything with it. I replaced the lines one at a time, and bled as normal.

I'm not saying this is the right way to get the old fluid out of the abs block, but years ago on this board it was suggested that you bleed the brakes, then take the car out and "activate the abs" the re-bleed the brakes. Take that for whatever it's worth.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool28
where did you find stainless steel hard lines? my '98 t/a steel brake lines that run the length of the car to the rear axle are rusted big time. look like they can crumble up if i touched them. id even be ok with new stock ones but i cant seem to find them online. stainless would be nice though.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Siciliano15
where did you find stainless steel hard lines? my '98 t/a steel brake lines that run the length of the car to the rear axle are rusted big time. look like they can crumble up if i touched them. id even be ok with new stock ones but i cant seem to find them online. stainless would be nice though.
These guys are talking about the lines from the fitting to the caliper. Your talking about lines from the master or abs block to the fittings at the hubs, and the block at the back near the axle.

You can get those at almost any parts store, along with a line bender (I bend them by hand).
Old 08-20-2012, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
These guys are talking about the lines from the fitting to the caliper. Your talking about lines from the master or abs block to the fittings at the hubs, and the block at the back near the axle.

You can get those at almost any parts store, along with a line bender (I bend them by hand).
oh ok. so nothing i can get pre-bent? like a stock line
Old 08-20-2012, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

just saw Classic Tube has the lines pre-bent for '98-'02 camaros. was there any difference between the camaro and firebird for the hard brake lines or were they exactly the same?
Old 08-20-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

just saw Classic Tube has the lines pre-bent for '98-'02 camaros. was there any difference between the camaro and firebird for the hard brake lines or were they exactly the same?
They are the same, the only difference being four channel (traction control) vs three channel (non-traction control). A word of caution if you've never replaced hardlines before: Pre-bent sounds great, until you understand those line were installed when nothing was in the way. Sometimes bending them yourself is easier.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are the same, the only difference being four channel (traction control) vs three channel (non-traction control). A word of caution if you've never replaced hardlines before: Pre-bent sounds great, until you understand those line were installed when nothing was in the way. Sometimes bending them yourself is easier.
Truth....
i replaced mine last year with stainless. Bending them myself wasn't nearly as bad as i thought it would be, granted I do tons of work with soft copper so im only halfway retarded with a bender but i figured stainless would be rougher.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

makes sense. the pre-bent probably comes in a huge box too im guessing. think im gonna give it a try though. plus it being stainless steel means i never have to do it again which is nice.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did mine with ss lines from classic. Them come in a huge box and they have one sweeping bend in them. I had to remove the crossmember and another brace, and was able to slide them up and over the exhaust. It was a two person job getting them in. I tried from the engine side and from underneath, underneath was the way to go. The bends/fit were perfect.

I do still have the abs inop and trac off lights on. Gotta work on that some more.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

I am looking into these. Did you buy them? How did they fit? What was all included?

The guy at Classic Tube said the verify with the dealer that that Camaro and Trans Am brake lines are the same, that he couldn't verify.

Would you recommend bending your own? I've heard flaring the SS lines properly is a PITA for the average Joe.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
I am looking into these. Did you buy them? How did they fit? What was all included?

The guy at Classic Tube said the verify with the dealer that that Camaro and Trans Am brake lines are the same, that he couldn't verify.

Would you recommend bending your own? I've heard flaring the SS lines properly is a PITA for the average Joe.
Flaring is a pain, period. If the pre-bent tubes are easy to get in, and not too expensive, well why not.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I re did my lines for my MWC 9, and under the hood for my brake bias/line lock set up. I used Copper Nickel line, it was very easy to work with.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:20 AM
TECH Addict

Flaring is a pain, period. If the pre-bent tubes are easy to get in, and not too expensive, well why not.
That Classic Tube place sells pre-bent stainless steel hard brake line kits- every hard brake on the car apparently- for $219. It is for the 98-02 Camaro, but I've been told that the Camaro/Firebird use the same hard brake lines.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

That Classic Tube place sells pre-bent stainless steel hard brake line kits- every hard brake on the car apparently- for $219. It is for the 98-02 Camaro, but I've been told that the Camaro/Firebird use the same hard brake lines.
You can definitely do it for much less, and skip the hassle of flaring, with preflared lines and unions. I'm guessing, though, you want the nice look of stainless steel.

If they're not much of a pain to install, as Siciliano15 is saying, then go for it.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

You can definitely do it for much less, and skip the hassle of flaring, with preflared lines and unions. I'm guessing, though, you want the nice look of stainless steel.

If they're not much of a pain to install, as Siciliano15 is saying, then go for it.
I was driving to work this morning and had a revelation. The guy at Classic Tube said he needs 2 week to bend the lines. I began to think about that process. I guess they have a mold, or an OEM original in house. Then they must bend it to match. What's to say I couldn't do the same??? Remove my old brake lines, bend new line (SS or nickel plated), buy some fittings, a bender and flare tool and DIY.

I'm sure a few youtube videos could educate myself on bending and flaring. And it's one of those projects that might save you a few bucks, despite possibly being a PITA.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was driving to work this morning and had a revelation. The guy at Classic Tube said he needs 2 week to bend the lines. I began to think about that process. I guess they have a mold, or an OEM original in house. Then they must bend it to match. What's to say I couldn't do the same??? Remove my old brake lines, bend new line (SS or nickel plated), buy some fittings, a bender and flare tool and DIY.

I'm sure a few youtube videos could educate myself on bending and flaring. And it's one of those projects that might save you a few bucks, despite possibly being a PITA.
You definitely can do it, I believe you need a bubble flare tool for the job. Search around a bit on here, and get the best flaring tool you can. You can bend lines by hand, and i find that easier then line benders, but if you want to be precise you can use those.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did any of you all end up using the classic tube lines? I'm thinking about buying from them. What's your feedback/recommendations?
Old 10-25-2014, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

I did not get the classic tube stuff. I ended up just using regular coated steel brake tubing, bought a cheap flare tool, and borrowed a friends hand bender. It isn't a perfect job, but it got me out of a bind.

If the car ever gets restored, I'll likely but the fancy Eastwood flare tool and do stainless lines myself.

Quick Reply: Putting stainless steel hard brake lines on