Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

agresive handling from a DD??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Pictures please.
MWC has a set of "weld-only" SFC that do not leverage the LCA torque boxes as attachment points. They instead attach directly to the rear frame structure adjacent to the torque boxes.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

More detail here too:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=67&ModelID=7

Supposedly MWC also does a bolt-in Watt's Link...

Originally Posted by 99 WS-sick
honestly this is the first fully bolt in version i have seen. my list just got longer lol, adjustable PHB for sale lol lol lol this will be my summertime addition
Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
If the OP wants a good handling setup then there's a lot of things being suggested that won't help him. Polyurethane should not be in control arms if you plan on taking corners. For a daily driver, rubber bushings are the best way to go. As far as SFCs go, I believe Sam Strano has said he doesn't even have them on his road course car. Relocation brackets for the LCAs are for drag racing, not handling. Personally I'm lowered about an inch on the stock panhard bar, and if the rear axle is not centered then I sure as hell can't tell, even with 17x11s on the back; save the money on the panhard bar as well. The stock K-member is heavy but it's stronger than aftermarket ones, and for a DD that will be driven hard, I'd just keep the stock K-member and lose the weight elsewhere.

Here's what I would suggest to the OP:

1. Shocks, either Bilsteins if on a budget or Konis if you have money to spend and/or plan on getting lowering springs
2. Sway bars, I would lean towards Strano's
3. Brakes, get a good set of rotors, pads, and fresh fluid
4. Sticky tires, I've heard good things about Nitto NT05s
5. Watts link if you can afford it, otherwise the stock panhard should be fine
6. Lightweight wheels that are strong enough for street duty but lighter than stock wheels, look at Welds or CCWs

If you want to lower the car stay away from Eibachs, get a set of Strano's springs or BMR's. Only Konis are really designed to handle stiff lowering springs though so any other shock may wear out prematurely. Or you could be a cheap *** like me and cut a coil off your stock springs, which won't be very stiff but will give you a nice stance.
Iv done some thinking a info gathering, wat I have come up with is this- beilstiens,strano springs, bolt in sfc, lca relocation brackets (already have the adj phb, bmr stb, anspohn sway bars) sound like a plan? Im stilling going to call sam strano an see wat he thinks but im glad I atleast have something good to possibly start with
Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are nothing but benefits from upgrading the panhard bar... any car, stock or wild should ditch the stock panhard, it's garbage. I agree it might not be huge for a handling car, but it WILL help handling and other things more-so.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you talked to Sam Strano yet?

He'll steer you in the right direction, he'll give you the pro's and con's with your desired setup.

and FWIW, I've had 2 4thgen f-bodies, first one (93 LT1 Z28) I talked to Sam but didn't listen to him and totally went with what everyone here told me to get, that was bilstein shocks and Eibach prokit springs and swaybars.

It ran GREAT compared to stock and I was sooo happy!!!
That is until I went on a cruise that is done in southern California annually, it's call Rim of the World cruise, it's a sort of dash up through Big Bear mountain, and it was there that I got the **** scared out of me because the car had MAJOR understeer, refused to turn, had filling jarring WHACKS everytime I went over a pothole, so after that I went with KYB shocks and again, it felt okay but still the car wasn't comfy at ALL, just bone jarring, couldn't turn in well, ride was VERY stiff and well, I was TOTALLY upset with the way it handled.

I got rid of my 93 Z28.

I bought a 2001SS, went straight to Sam, told him my drama, I learned from my mistakes, let me tell you OP, and I cannot say this enough, THE most important item for a great handling f-body is shocks SHOCKS SHOCKS!!!

the Koni's wer by FAR the GREATEST thing I could have EVER bought for my car!!!

I understand the money situation, believe me. By purchasing the Koni's you can even use the factory springs and your car will still kick *** in the corners AND the ride will still be VERY nice, even better than what you're accustomed to right now.

Truly, all you need are the Koni's, better aftermarket sways which you already have, better tires and brake pads and your car will ROCK in the twisties.

I know that lots of folks here swear by the Bilstein's and let me just say that compared to the stock POS deCarbons, the Bilstein's are better by far.

Koni's are that much better than the Bilstein's.

the folks who swear by the Bilstein's probably has never driven or has ever ridden in an f-body equipped with Koni's, they are THAT much better.

You're better off saving the money to buy the Koni's and get the springs at a later date, or, save your money so that you can buy Sam's springs(GREAT springs BTW) AND the Koni's at the same time.

my .02
Old 02-03-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and I have 95,000 miles on my car, I bought it back in 2003 when it had 23,000 miles on it and I drive her HARD every chance I get AND I try to do at least 3-5 trips to the canyons annually.

My car ******* ROCKS!!!

Quick Reply: agresive handling from a DD??