Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

almost ready to start buying suspension. but what?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012 | 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Default almost ready to start buying suspension. but what?

I'm almost ready to purchase a 9" rear and along with it suspension. The car is 99% street car that may see the track a couple times a year. The car is mainly Driven on the weekend. I was, looking at the "level 2" bmr suspension packages at ws6 store. They seem to have everything I need except for the torque arm which i'm not sure I even need. I'd love to have a set of koni shocks but they are just way to expensive. The rear end is already $3000. is the bmr package a good deal our are there better options for around the same price?

Thanka
Old 01-27-2012 | 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

That Level 2 package covers everything pretty well, depending on your budget adding a torque arm and lower control arms would basically take care of all the basics on the car. With that package and parts you will definitely see much better performance in handling and with straight line. The Tokico shocks are a good option for someone who is really busdget minded. They get kind of a bad rap on here because around here Koni shocks are king. If you have any particular questions I can answer for you let me know.

Thanks,
Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 01-27-2012 | 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

UMI Performance offers awesome suspension components for your car. I welcome you to take a look at our products as well. You can indeed order through WS6.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...=index&cPath=7

The nice thing about suspension is it's additive in nature. You can build in stages without breaking the bank.

ramey
Old 01-27-2012 | 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
UMI Performance offers awesome suspension components for your car. I welcome you to take a look at our products as well. You can indeed order through WS6.

The nice thing about suspension is it's additive in nature. You can build in stages without breaking the bank.

ramey
I went with all Spohn pieces for my rear suspension and have been very happy. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the reputable manufacturer's on this site. They all have great pieces.

In my opinion, though, if it is a 99% street car, stick with poly-ended pieces. The noise and ride from my all rod-ended pieces would be horable on a 99% street car, although, some die-hards have disagreed with me on this. I set mine up for very minimal street use.
Old 01-30-2012 | 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
That Level 2 package covers everything pretty well, depending on your budget adding a torque arm and lower control arms would basically take care of all the basics on the car. With that package and parts you will definitely see much better performance in handling and with straight line. The Tokico shocks are a good option for someone who is really busdget minded. They get kind of a bad rap on here because around here Koni shocks are king. If you have any particular questions I can answer for you let me know.

Thanks,
Kyle
Sorry, ive been busy and havent had a chance to reply.

1. Would there be anyway i could swap out the relocation brackets the kit comes with for a set of lower control arms? The rear end im buying has the brackets welded to the rear so i wont need them.

2. I know you work for BMR lol, but i was considering piecing the kit together and getting strano springs/swaybars. or would i even notice a difference?

3. When is a torque arm necessary?

4. How much of a drop are the springs?

5. Are the SFC weld in or bolt in?

Thanks alot man!

Originally Posted by UMI Sales

ramey
yea it is nice that i can piece it together, but id rather buy it all at once and do it all while the rear end is out of it and get it out of the way.

Does UMI offer a handling package also? If so, whats the pricing on it?
Old 01-31-2012 | 07:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by allout06

1. Would there be anyway i could swap out the relocation brackets the kit comes with for a set of lower control arms? The rear end im buying has the brackets welded to the rear so i wont need them.

2. I know you work for BMR lol, but i was considering piecing the kit together and getting strano springs/swaybars. or would i even notice a difference?

Thanks alot man!

yea it is nice that i can piece it together, but id rather buy it all at once and do it all while the rear end is out of it and get it out of the way.

Does UMI offer a handling package also? If so, whats the pricing on it?
I can certainly custom quote you a handling package. I see you said 99% daily driver with some track days. Which track are you going to?

Strano carries the full UMI line and we can, of course, get his products. If you're building a handling car I'd use his springs and not give it a second thought.

PM me your email address, name and zip and I'll get rolling.

Thanks

ramey
Old 01-31-2012 | 07:40 AM
FormerVendor

Oops, forgot to answer:

Yup, we can mix and match to make your car the best it can be.

Strano springs are the ultra premium spring of choice in our world. Strano sways work great with the aforementioned springs and are correctly balanced for them.

The factory torque arm is pretty flimsy. Aftermarket arms are much stronger and have the benefit of (1) better bushings (2) adjustable drivelline angle and (3) removal of the snout from the tailhousing of the trans. You can relocate the stock T/A off the trans but it's like anything else, improved strength and features makes for a better car. Many handling cars go fast with factory T/A's.

Strano SP141's are listed as 1.2" nominal on a 1.75" absolute max.

We can do either. Also 2 or 3 point.

ramey
Old 01-31-2012 | 08:21 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I can set up a custom suspension package that is tailored for your needs easily, just give me a call here at the shop and we can go over your goals and get a package that will meet if not exceed your expectation.

Honestly everyone will have their opinion on which parts are better but we feel that our parts perform well and should easily perform up to your expectations. We have proven this high level of performance with cars like the GM High Tech project car "STI Killer".

There is quite a bit to gain from going to a aftermarket torque arm like our BMR one. An aftermarket torque arm will help control rearend movement much better than the factory one and will replace the factory rubber bushing with a solid poly-urethane bushing. Also if you get the adjustable torque arm it will allow you to adjust the pinion angle to help minimize vibrations. Depending on how far you wanted to go you could use one of our relocation crossmembers which will allow you to get the torque arm off the tailshaft housing and keep from possibly breaking it. The relocation crossmember will also allow you to adjust the instant center to fine tune the suspension.

1.25"

We only sell weld-in SFC's. There are not too many real fast cars that use bolt-in SFC's and there is a reason for that.

Thanks alot man!

I hope this answers all your questions, if you have any others let me know

Thanks,
Kyle

Last edited by BMR Sales2; 01-31-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2012 | 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the help! I will keep you posted. Just found out the my cars clutch took a ****...so i gotta work that into the bill too now...always something....
Old 02-01-2012 | 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like you've got some pretty sweet parts comin' your way, whichever direction you go
Old 02-01-2012 | 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

yes sir! UMI and BMR have both been a huge help. now just gotta get one of them to dance for their dollar! lmao!! jk jk!!
Old 02-01-2012 | 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

I went with a bmr package in my old ws6, it was a HUGE difference once everything went in.
Hands down the car cornered amazing and hooked hard without any more wheel hop
Old 02-01-2012 | 11:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I'm almost ready to purchase a 9" rear and along with it suspension. The car is 99% street car that may see the track a couple times a year. The car is mainly Driven on the weekend. I was, looking at the "level 2" bmr suspension packages at ws6 store. They seem to have everything I need except for the torque arm which i'm not sure I even need. I'd love to have a set of koni shocks but they are just way to expensive. The rear end is already $3000. is the bmr package a good deal our are there better options for around the same price?

Thanka

Do all your shopping, then give us a call on the rearend and suspension parts. You will find MWC has the best value and the highest quality parts for your dollar. We manufacture the entire setup in house and have the street and track experience to help you out when it's go time.
Old 02-02-2012 | 08:03 AM
FormerVendor

yes sir! UMI and BMR have both been a huge help. now just gotta get one of them to dance for their dollar! lmao!! jk jk!!
I knew it would come to this. If I dance for you, you'll throw some bills at me to stop...
Old 02-02-2012 | 08:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

When you are ready to price stuff out give me a call here at the shop and I will see what we can do for you.

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
I went with a bmr package in my old ws6, it was a HUGE difference once everything went in.
Hands down the car cornered amazing and hooked hard without any more wheel hop
Thanks for the feedback!

Old 02-03-2012 | 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

The one thing that was not done here is the ask what does the OP wants to do? There are many people that want to sell him stuff but no one ask what he wanted to do. The best handling mod for the street is good shocks. For drag racing it is trying to stop wheel hop. If you have more money for the street then sway bars and higher rate springs are good. So what do you want to do?
Old 02-03-2012 | 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
The one thing that was not done here is the ask what does the OP wants to do? There are many people that want to sell him stuff but no one ask what he wanted to do. The best handling mod for the street is good shocks. For drag racing it is trying to stop wheel hop. If you have more money for the street then sway bars and higher rate springs are good. So what do you want to do?
In the original post it states that the car is 99% street car that may see the track a couple times a year. This shows what the customer wants, he wants something that he can drive everyday but still drive it to the track and be able to make a couple solid passes and drive it home.

Old 02-03-2012 | 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Since you don't have any aftermarket suspension pieces yet I highly recommend getting everything from MWC. You can't beat the price and quality(I stress quality!) when buying everything with a new rear from them! Look into it. I was in the same boat, after crunching the numbers I went with a MWC 9" with everything but shocks/springs and it was almost the same cost as buying a Moser and piecing the suspension together.
Old 02-03-2012 | 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WS6sleeper
Since you don't have any aftermarket suspension pieces yet I highly recommend getting everything from MWC. You can't beat the price and quality(I stress quality!) when buying everything with a new rear from them! Look into it. I was in the same boat, after crunching the numbers I went with a MWC 9" with everything but shocks/springs and it was almost the same cost as buying a Moser and piecing the suspension together.
I will def take that into consideration. thanks!

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
In the original post it states that the car is 99% street car that may see the track a couple times a year. This shows what the customer wants, he wants something that he can drive everyday but still drive it to the track and be able to make a couple solid passes and drive it home.
exactly, but the car is only driven on the weekends! its just a toy for me.

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
its 99% street car that will see the track a few times a year., Its mainly driven on the weekends to cruise ins, and i do street racing with friends.

So heres what i got if i piece the the suspension together...

Strano F/R Sway bars - $369.98 (Stranos Site)
Strano Springs - $249.00 (Stranos Site)
UMI LCA/Panhard Bar Kit - $280.99 (Stranos Site)
Bilstein Shocks - $379.99 (Stranos Site)
Founders Performance Wled-in SFC - $108 (Founders Site)
BMR Strut Tower Brace - $80 (WS6Store)
UMI Tunnel Brace Mounted Torque Arm w/ DSL - $389 (WS6Store)

Total - $1856.xx

I think i decided i def want strano springs/swaybars.
Ill go with the bilsteins for now until i can come to terms with spending $1000 on konis.....

What do you guys think?!

Also, Bob at brutespeed quoted me a....

9" Moser, Spool, 35(i think) spline axles, 3.89 gears, Drain plug, Stock sway bar mounts, 4-chnl ABS w/ a PST 3.5" drive shaft with Forged Yokes for right around $3030....

If anyone can beat these prices with the parts i want. Thatd be sweet. And just like anyone else, im gonig for the best deal on the best parts..
Old 02-04-2012 | 12:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

I will def take that into consideration. thanks!

exactly, but the car is only driven on the weekends! its just a toy for me.

its 99% street car that will see the track a few times a year., Its mainly driven on the weekends to cruise ins, and i do street racing with friends.

So heres what i got if i piece the the suspension together...

Strano F/R Sway bars - $369.98 (Stranos Site)
Strano Springs - $249.00 (Stranos Site)
UMI LCA/Panhard Bar Kit - $280.99 (Stranos Site)
Bilstein Shocks - $379.99 (Stranos Site)
Founders Performance Wled-in SFC - $108 (Founders Site)
BMR Strut Tower Brace - $80 (WS6Store)
UMI Tunnel Brace Mounted Torque Arm w/ DSL - $389 (WS6Store)

Total - $1856.xx

I think i decided i def want strano springs/swaybars.
Ill go with the bilsteins for now until i can come to terms with spending $1000 on konis.....

What do you guys think?!

Also, Bob at brutespeed quoted me a....

9" Moser, Spool, 35(i think) spline axles, 3.89 gears, Drain plug, Stock sway bar mounts, 4-chnl ABS w/ a PST 3.5" drive shaft with Forged Yokes for right around $3030....

If anyone can beat these prices with the parts i want. Thatd be sweet. And just like anyone else, im gonig for the best deal on the best parts..
I think you should get the Strano springs, shocks, and sway bars, and I can get you into the MWC fabricated 9 inch package for less.

You will get a lighter, stronger rearend/torque arm assy and not have the torque arm punch a hole through the floor or your brake lines tie wrapped to the housing. There's a lot of benefits of the MWC rearend that some people don't see or get told about when buying a different 9 inch rearend... and these are just a few of the things!

Give me a call and I will get you all the info and better pricing on what you need than what you have listed here for sure.

Quick Reply: almost ready to start buying suspension. but what?