Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Black rotors anybody? (PICS PLZ!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1981TA
My EBC rotors have lasted exceptionally long, but yeah, that black coat wore off pretty quick. This is a pic after three years of use (rear axle)

Stoptech rotors, just after install (fronts, last spring)

Did you ever run those slotted EBCs on the front, and if so, how did they hold up to open tracking with a harsh 'track pad' (stress risers/cracks/etc.)??

Which Wilwood (4 piston?) fixed caliper set up/number is that in the pic above, and what is the diameter of the Stop Tech rings you used to fit inside an f body 17" SS wheel?
Old 12-23-2015, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Did you ever run those slotted EBCs on the front, and if so, how did they hold up to open tracking with a harsh 'track pad' (stress risers/cracks/etc.)??

Which Wilwood (4 piston?) fixed caliper set up/number is that in the pic above, and what is the diameter of the Stop Tech rings you used to fit inside an f body 17" SS wheel?
Q1: Nope, always been on the back and the pads have always been EBC Yellow. They've shown no appreciable signs of wear or heating issues.

Q2: The calipers are Wilwood W6A Caliper 6-pot upgrades for a C6 Z51. (PN 140-12629)

Q3: One small correction: those are Racing Brake 13.4" rotors, not stoptech (my bad). I was able to fit this brake setup on my 2nd gen because the 4th gen 17" wheels require a 2" spacer to get the correct backspace. The barrel of the wheel has a larger diameter, starting a couple inches away from the hub mating surface (inside face) of wheel. The 2" spacers happen to align the caliper and rotor with the wider portion of the wheel. Without the spacer, the caliper will contact the wheel. My setup would most likely not fit on a 3rd or 4th gen F-Body without the wheels sticking out of the wells.

This issue does not happen with 4th gen corvette 17" Sawblades, fwiw.

Speaking of checking, risers, cracks, etc... I pulled the RB rotors about two months ago, due to surface checking and worn out pads (Carbotech 12). The rotors still have life in them, but the pads are done. I got four and a half track days out of them, 4 @ Gingerman, .5 @ Road America, plus a handful of auto-X events.

I currently have Rock Auto blank C6 Z51 rotors on the front, with Wilwood BP-20 pads. I haven't abused the setup at all yet, so can't say much for longevity, but the cost per track day seems favorable. The rotors were $120 delivered, compared to $700.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Old *** thread, and dumb. "I dont want my rotors silver"

Please forgive me, almighty Mod God, for I have sinned. I had blasphemous thoughts of wanting to try something different. It won't happen again.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
Please forgive me, almighty Mod God, for I have sinned. I had blasphemous thoughts of wanting to try something different. It won't happen again.
No, you misunderstood. It's stupid, not different. IT'S A FRICTION SURFACE. It cant stay "colored" when its responsible for stopping the vehicle. What you're wanting doesnt exist, at least not on a commercial level. And no im not sorry if it hurt your feelings, I was giving you honesty, whether you liked it or not.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
No, you misunderstood. It's stupid, not different. IT'S A FRICTION SURFACE. It cant stay "colored" when its responsible for stopping the vehicle. What you're wanting doesnt exist, at least not on a commercial level. And no im not sorry if it hurt your feelings, I was giving you honesty, whether you liked it or not.
Thank you for your guidance. I praise thee.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

This is what will happen... All the time... That is unless you go with Carbon Ceramic which is and will stay a dark grey color. However carbon ceramic is f-ing expensive!
Old 12-25-2015, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

I feel dumber for going down this road**
Old 12-26-2015, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1981TA
I currently have Rock Auto blank C6 Z51 rotors on the front, with Wilwood BP-20 pads. I haven't abused the setup at all yet, so can't say much for longevity, but the cost per track day seems favorable. The rotors were $120 delivered, compared to $700.
This^^^ is good to know, since I always thought that one MUST use the two piece, racing, 'floating' type rotors ONLY with any Wilwood (or other) 4-6 piston fixed caliper set up.

Quick Reply: Black rotors anybody? (PICS PLZ!)