Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tired of my car bottoming out....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tired of my car bottoming out....

Hey all! I think its time for me to get some new rear springs... Everytime i go over a dip in the road with even just a passenger in the car, my car will bottom out in the back very hard.. Its even worse with people in the back seat. So im open to suggestions for new rear springs. Heres what im looking for...

-Most comfortable ride i can get for an fbody.
-not really interested in a drop at this time. My exhaust scrapes over speed humps as it is.

Are the moog factory replacements any good? Ive found them from a sponsor for around 80 bux.

Thanks all!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

This thread might be helpful to you. It covers the best properties to pursue in regards to ride comfort.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...mooth-all.html
Old 02-04-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your shocks are probably worn out. How many miles are on your car?
Old 02-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Latch
Your shocks are probably worn out. How many miles are on your car?
x2. get some bilsteins. wouldn't waste time replacing them with anything less.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Strange thing is, ive already replaced the shocks. I was hoping to remedy the problem with the shocks but no such luck. I should mention that my springs are v6 springs and have about 100k on them haha. my car used to be a v6 before i did an ls1/t56 swap.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Syxx613
Strange thing is, ive already replaced the shocks. I was hoping to remedy the problem with the shocks but no such luck. I should mention that my springs are v6 springs and have about 100k on them haha. my car used to be a v6 before i did an ls1/t56 swap.
thats odd. do you have sagging in the rear? or have the springs ever been removed, possibly missing the rubber that goes atop them? what about exhaust? could that be whats hitting?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

you want my eldebrock shocks? stiffest things on the planet
Old 02-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Launching!

yeah the springs have been off the car before, and im not sure if the rubber pieces are still there. id have to check. the car does sag yes. lol. i recently had the rear of the car jacked up and could pull down and push up on the body of the vehicle and watch the springs compress and decompress with ease. this is what pretty much confirmed that my springs were donzo lol.

so im still looking at these moog springs for 80 bux. good idea or is there something better as a stock replacement?

and sure ill take ur edlebrock shocks. for free right?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Strange thing is, ive already replaced the shocks. I was hoping to remedy the problem with the shocks but no such luck.
With what?
Replacing the shitty stock shocks with shitty autozone shocks isn't going to do anything, the problem is in the valving, not just the worn out parts. You need to get some quality shocks with good valving (like bare minimum Bilstiens) for better ride quality. Also what do your rear bumpstops look like? Are they chewed up?
What wheels and tires are you running and at what PSI (don't guess, go out and check it).
I should mention that my springs are v6 springs and have about 100k on them haha. my car used to be a v6 before i did an ls1/t56 swap.
The rear springs should be the same according to this: http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html
But the fronts will be different and could sit a little lower due to the less rate. You can try out some stock V8 springs all around just to see since they are relatively cheap.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Launching!

truth be told, yes i did replace them with the autozone cheapos but only because i was pretty broke at the time. however, cheap shocks or not, that should not cause a vehicle to bottom out over bumps like it does. i havent checked the bumpstops yet, but im sure there pretty worn. at any rate, my question has yet to be given an answer at all. lol. spring recomendation?
Old 02-06-2012, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

truth be told, yes i did replace them with the autozone cheapos but only because i was pretty broke at the time. however, cheap shocks or not, that should not cause a vehicle to bottom out over bumps like it does. i havent checked the bumpstops yet, but im sure there pretty worn. at any rate, my question has yet to be given an answer at all. lol. spring recomendation?

Oh yes cheap shocks can cause a vehicle to bottom out buddy!

If your car has over 100K miles on them and factory springs, and cheap shocks?

yeah, you're bottoming out.

Great shocks are supposed to prevent your car from bottoming out, so you got wornout springs AND cheap shocks?

but that's fine, you don't have to believe me, go buy some lowering springs and keep the cheap shocks and see how the ride fares, it's going to SUCK.

shocks keep your car from bottoming out and keeps your car from feeling the stiffness of the springs.

shitty shocks = shitty ride performance/ride quality.

you can have shitty worn out springs AND if you spend $$$ on GREAT shocks that would still help with the ride quality.

Shocks are the BEST products you can buy for better ride quality and performance, but which shock is dependent on what you want your car to excell at.

GREAT 1/4 mile performance = pretty bad cornering.

GREAT cornering performance = bad launch times for the 1/4, prevents effective weight transfer from front to rear when you take off from a dead start.

Figure out what you want with your car, either a great handling/corner carver or great 1/4mile times, it's either/or with our f-bodies.

My .02
Old 02-06-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

truth be told, yes i did replace them with the autozone cheapos but only because i was pretty broke at the time. however, cheap shocks or not, that should not cause a vehicle to bottom out over bumps like it does.
You said you replaced the shocks but the car still rides bad, it wasn't a lucky guess that you bought cheap autozone shocks.
Is the "bottoming out" that you are talking about the exhaust hitting the ground(thats bottoming out technically), or the suspension feeling like its slamming into your car(thats hitting your bumpstops)?
Shocks control the velocity of the spring, the weaker the shock valving the less control over the spring and the harder(and more often) you will hit the bumpstops, causing a jarring ride.
What other suspension mods do you have while were at it?
And you didn't answer my other question, what wheels/tires do you have and at what PSI?
i havent checked the bumpstops yet, but im sure there pretty worn. at any rate, my question has yet to be given an answer at all. lol. spring recomendation?
I did, go with stock V8 springs (not lowering springs).
Old 06-04-2020, 12:55 PM

Default LakeGastonHank

This is a VERY common problem and my 2001 SS has done it since new. I recently installed a Bilstein Pro2 kit and it still does it. I am not sure exactly what is bottoming out but I suspect the Chevy version of the Panhard rod which is the lowest point. I am going to get the Airlift Air Bag kit and inflate it until the rear end lifts 1/4". My stock measurements were 27" front and rear and after the Bilstein kit it is 26", but problem still persists, but hasn't gotten any worse, so the stiffer Eibach springs did not correct the problem. This way the rear end is actually lifted and as stiff as it can get. Not great for handling, but for such a comfortable GT car traveling, it should cure the problem of bottoming out over Interstate bridges. Please let me know what results you guys (and girls) see. I will report back.

For track days I will deflate the Airbags to stock ride height and see how she does. For expressway and round town, I'll keep her high in the rear.

Quick Reply: Tired of my car bottoming out....