Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ride is not smooth at all!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride is not smooth at all!

Okay I replaced my ball joints, i bought some kyb shocks non adjustable using stock springs. And my ride is still not very smooth. what do you think my ride needs for more smoother comfortable ride?
Old 07-15-2011, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F-bodies will never have a really comfortable ride. They're solid rear axle performance cars...just not in the books for them to ride like a luxury sedan, or even a budget commuter car.

Shocks would be first thing on the list...I have KYBs on the daily, and while they're not bad, they're definitely not smooth-riding shocks.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

so would you say that some higher end shocks would be a better fit for a smoother ride in it? because my wheel hops and I know I need new wheels and tires. but what would you recommend for like a really nice ride?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:50 AM
Launching!

try bilstein. i am using it on my vert, and it rides good and provide superior handling compare to stock, albeit i am using stano springs as an added handling power.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

i will have to look into. thank you
Old 07-16-2011, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 193 Likes on 149 Posts

This is what I can think of:
  • Go with bilsteins shocks.
  • Make sure you're using rubber bushings in all bushing locations.
  • Be sure your rubber bushings are in good shape.
  • Remove the aluminum spacers from the bump stops in the rear if you have them.
  • Run a narrower tire (245 or 255 all the way around, even narrower if you go with 16" wheel).
  • if your willing, down size to a 16" wheel, if you're running 17" wheel, the extra sidewall will help absorb bumps.
  • Check your tire pressure, keep it at not more than 30psi.
  • Go with the most comfortable and quietest tire you can.
·

Last edited by lees02WS6; 07-16-2011 at 07:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jayh (01-13-2022)
Old 07-16-2011, 07:16 AM
BS
Launching!

I don't think a performance shock is going to give you a smoother or softer ride. But I've been wrong before.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BS
I don't think a performance shock is going to give you a smoother or softer ride. But I've been wrong before.
You are correct, performance will be harder/rougher in order to stay planted in corners. Honestly, adjustable shocks will provide better variety depending on how you want to drive. If your springs sag, or like mine are shorter, the effectiveness of a shock is diminished greatly. I have Strano/KYB AGX, and they ride rough as hell.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black96z28
You are correct, performance will be harder/rougher in order to stay planted in corners. Honestly, adjustable shocks will provide better variety depending on how you want to drive. If your springs sag, or like mine are shorter, the effectiveness of a shock is diminished greatly. I have Strano/KYB AGX, and they ride rough as hell.
That has more to do with the reduction in ride height height, corresponding reduced wheel travel, along with a stiffer spring rate, than it does with the shock.

The OP could put decarbons back on. However, Bilsteins are a good quality shock that will accommodate ride quality as much as performance.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO I always thought that the stock decarbon shocks rode better than bilsteins. But nothing beats the ride of QA1's.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

See below:

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
HD's are Bilstein's, so are SLP's. The front shocks are identical, the rears are so slightly different it's not worth nit-picking over. I can't really discern any difference really. Ride quality between them is not any different, and fwiw, ride quality has lots to do with other things too like springs, wheels, tires, etc. Unless you have both on the very same car the results are not accurate as the car differences will make more difference.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ
IMO I always thought that the stock decarbon shocks rode better than bilsteins. But nothing beats the ride of QA1's.
This is a joke right?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by drone
This is a joke right?
I'm sure he's serious. From his sig and profile, it looks like he's in to drag racing, so from his view the DeCarbons and QA1's are better.

Ride quality is subjective, especially so with a performance crowd (with a tilt towards drag racing). Most of the performance parts are aimed at drag racers here. Keeping the ride under control (other than when aiming dead straight), and off the bump stops isn't a priority for them.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Launching!

bilstein with the stock spring is your best bet. I think when bilstein is paired with stock springs, it provides for a firmer ride but not necessarily harsher. bilstein with lowering spring will create a firm ride and noticeably harsher, although that depends a lot on what kind of lowering spring you use.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
I'm sure he's serious. From his sig and profile, it looks like he's in to drag racing, so from his view the DeCarbons and QA1's are better.

Ride quality is subjective, especially so with a performance crowd (with a tilt towards drag racing). Most of the performance parts are aimed at drag racers here. Keeping the ride under control (other than when aiming dead straight), and off the bump stops isn't a priority for them.

Im into drag racing too. You shouldnt say a crap shock is the best ride there is. QA1s are like one step above crappy. AFCO's are one of the better coilovers. Auto cross shocks you should be looking at Koni's. As for smooth ride? Dont know. Buy another car.

And bilsteins are not meant for lowering springs.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tmdz28
bilstein with the stock spring is your best bet. I think when bilstein is paired with stock springs, it provides for a firmer ride but not necessarily harsher. bilstein with lowering spring will create a firm ride and noticeably harsher, although that depends a lot on what kind of lowering spring you use.

I have this setup. I used to love highway cruising cause it rode so smooth even 80+. I have to change my setup cause the front end is getting floaty and too high cause Ive taken so much weight off the front end.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ritchie1791
.... my ride is still not very smooth. What do you think my ride needs for more smoother comfortable ride?

Your "ride" needs to be sold, and replaced with a Cadillac.....
Old 07-16-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ritchie1791
Okay I replaced my ball joints, i bought some kyb shocks non adjustable using stock springs. And my ride is still not very smooth. what do you think my ride needs for more smoother comfortable ride?
Everyone is different so you may not ever be 100% satisfied, but you certainly can get a smoother ride that what you have now by ditching the shitty autozone replacement shocks with something better. Post #6 sums it up very well.

Originally Posted by Black96z28
You are correct, performance will be harder/rougher in order to stay planted in corners.
Not necessarily, thats a pretty vague statement. The stock decarbons ride like **** because they have too much compression(jarring), they also perform like **** because of too much compression and not near enough rebound(floaty, loose, bouncy).
When I put konis on my car with no other suspension mods the car both rode and handled drastically better. It was more firm, but rode better because it was not jarring over bumps/dips feeling like the car was slamming like it did on the decarbons.
In your case KYB AGXs adjust rebound and compression with the same ****, so if you want more rebound you also get more compression, which will make the car noticeably more jarring - konis adjust rebound independently so you don't get that harsher ride.

Originally Posted by HASTINGSRJ
LMAO...I had to reread this post a couple times to make sure I was seeing it right...
Old 07-16-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Lower your tire PSI.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by drone
This is a joke right?
not thats not a joke, its my opinion.

Quick Reply: Ride is not smooth at all!