Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Another satisfied Stagg shocks owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonLS1noob
@carlos01ss: I see ur from cypress. I workout at the Carson 24 hr magic sport in the ikea plaza. Granted I don't think I've been to cypress, but I think it's close by lol.

As for the ride from a fellow f-body owner, I can't seem to find any -_- I'm Filipino and I used to drive a Mazda and Honda so most of my friends are into the JDM scene. Non of them are jdm ****** however, we love and respect all cars, but the only thing they love American cars for are lifted trucks with BLINDING headlights lol

I've already decided on getting the On car SA koni's for my rears as soon as my tax return comes in. I wanna take advantage of sam's sale going on right now.

Oh SNAP I need to fix that LOL!
I moved to La Mirada but dude, I was raised in Carson, went to Carson High school, very familiar with the area, mom still lives in VP!!!

Anyway, if you want a ride in my car, let me know, I have sundays - Tuesdays off so if you're serious about getting Koni's you can get a pretty good idea how they will feel on your car.

My car is definitely lowered and truly bumps and stuff really doesn't mess with the handling or the feel of the car, drives very smooth and the ride isn't harsh at all unless we hit a ******* big pothole.

So let me know.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
So, to sum up. Either a person cares how well the stuff works, or really doesn't, and whatever they end up with is good enough.

That's basically what's being said here.
No actually people want to come here for Help when they need it and TO HELP when we can.YOU think because you can weld togother pieces of steel for Race Cars that gives you the right to ridicule others, Sorry it doesn't work that way.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
No actually people want to come here for Help when they need it and TO HELP when we can.YOU think because you can weld togother pieces of steel for Race Cars that gives you the right to ridicule others, Sorry it doesn't work that way.
No really, Sam is right. Either you care how it works or you don't. You don't really care how it works.. you only care about two things:

1. It gives you a ride quality you prefer
2. It's made in America by Americans

There's nothing wrong with that either for the record. Expressing opinions is OK!!! It's OK that the OP likes the Stagg shocks. It's ok that you like Monroe's. If it rides good enough for you guys, then that's all that matters! The part where people come in to correct you is where you try to persistently push out borderline misinformation. You say Monroes are great shocks but you never explain why or use details. So what happens is other people fill in the details for you. What do you expect to happen? If you post stuff on here expect to get called out and don't cry about it.. all you do is whine and complain about Bilstiens. Maybe it's time to put away the sour grapes?

Kudos to the OP for being the guinea pig and trying out Stagg shocks! Although I feel I would never want something that causes you to crash over bumps as you mentioned in this thread. Still you did everyone a favor by trying it out and giving your review on it, and it can only help the ls1tech community
Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1121
Totally disagree. Sometimes people posts replies JUST to make fun of what u posted. We don't need wielding ability to ridicule others, u just need to be an a**hole. Sure we ask questions, and it's great to get responses, but most responses are based on THAT persons experiences. Sam is just putting in his 2 cents like u did on what I quoted u. Sam is the one who comes in here to help when he can.

Plus I'm happy the OP did this setup so NOW if theirs ever a question in the future, he can personally say he had experience with it and plug his 2 cents in. He can keep us up to date on what happens for now.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JasonLS1noob
Plus I'm happy the OP did this setup so NOW if theirs ever a question in the future, he can personally say he had experience with it and plug his 2 cents in. He can keep us up to date on what happens for now.
yes an no...

you also have to keep in mind hes running one of the most aggressive drops springs available

therefore the advice he gives is purely based on the shock/spring set up
Old 03-02-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by __Z__
yes an no...

you also have to keep in mind hes running one of the most aggressive drops springs available

therefore the advice he gives is purely based on the shock/spring set up
This is true. The OP will be using a certain range of his shocks that most people won't be. Someone on stock springs may experience something totally different.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again true but that means that I am abusing them more because of the drop
Old 03-02-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ What does Stagg say, are they designed to handle lowering springs like yours?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

the unfortunate thing about shock life, or lack of shock life, is that if you drive the vehicle, you're not going to really notice the shock going out until it's just about done and then you're going to notice how bad the ride is.

the reason why is simple, you're in it all the time, and the shock will slowly deteriorate and you won't notice the deteriation of the shock until it's basically failed and the ride will be at it's worst and THEN the driver will notice the difference.

Sort of like the guy who smokes cigars all the time and everyone else who comes in contact with him says he stinks all to Hell but he doesn't smell it at all, why?
Because he's in it.

that's the difficult part about shock failure, they slowly get bad, the driver won't really notice until the shock is basically fucked.

I thought my Bilstein's/Prokit springs were the best thing since sliced bread and a couple years later, my 93Z28 drove like crap and at the time I didn't understand why, but now I get it.

the driveability was bone jarring, car was scary in the twisties, kept hitting the bumpstops, on high speed cornering I could feel the car actually skipping sideways!!!

so the Stag shock owners who are on aftermarket lowered springs probably won't tell how bad the ride gets until the shocks blow out and the ride is at it's worst.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes they say they work with lowering springs. And Carlos, i kind of agree with what you said but then when they do go bad I will know how long they last
Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
Yes they say they work with lowering springs. And Carlos, i kind of agree with what you said but then when they do go bad I will know how long they last

please let us know!
This is a great opportunity for us to learn how these shocks work with lowered springs and how long they last!
If you can, jot down roughly the date and miles your car had when you installed them initially, then we'll go from there.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Better pics

Old 03-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Teching In

Pics lookin good vert! Those are some nice rims, mind I ask what they are and sizes?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

C6 ZO6 Spyder Replicas. 18x8.5/9.5 combo. I'm planning on buying these in 19x10 and having them hydrodipped in carbon fiber print
Old 03-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

I would like to see how those Staggs actually stack up. I've had Bilsteins for about 4k with stock springs, and to be honest, the improvement over stock is minimal (car has 55k). If these are any good, the price would be hard to beat. I feel we may be at a disadvantage though, as it seems you are nearly on your bumpstops.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shortz1lla
I would like to see how those Staggs actually stack up. I've had Bilsteins for about 4k with stock springs, and to be honest, the improvement over stock is minimal (car has 55k). If these are any good, the price would be hard to beat. I feel we may be at a disadvantage though, as it seems you are nearly on your bumpstops.
What do you consider good ride quality? A floaty caddillac with poor handling or something that has better suspension control?
Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I used to think my car handled like it was on rails, then I got under the car and realized I lowered it so much its basically riding on the bump stops, lulz
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28bryan
What do you consider good ride quality? A floaty caddillac with poor handling or something that has better suspension control?
I consider a firm, low vibration suspension with next to no forward, backward, or side to side roll good ride quality. Floaty Cadillac? I don't really see how that compares, or how you can make that generalization, a couple Caddys have come STOCK with truly great suspensions. XLR, CTS-V
Old 03-06-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

z28bryan was basically offering you a comparison, an extreme comparison that we have read from numerous 4th-gen f-body owners who have come onto this site and topic about suspension who wanted their Camaro's to have a "smooth ride", which basically tells you that folks tend to have quite a broad spectrum of what they construe as "smooth"

a previous visitor was horribly unsatisfied with his decision to change his old factory shocks to Koni's(arguably the BEST shock for the 4th-gens if you want premium handling characteristics) because he wanted his car to drive like an OLD Cadillac, you know, 1960-1980 big *** floaty boats with tires that "floated" down the road with you barely feeling anything, THAT'S how the guy wanted his Camaro to handle.

Truly if a 4th-gen owner wants his car to drive smooth like an old Cadillac, well, they need to sell their Camaro's and buy an older Cadillac.

Sounds like you want your vehicle to be a great canyon carver, which is great there's a lot of knowledge here and I would suggest that you talk to Sam Strano, he's arguably the most knowledgeable on creating a greate handling 4th-gen based on the money you want to spend and he will also tell you what you DON'T need(parts), he'll educate you and recommend you what to get AND of course he sells a lot of aftermarket suspension components to get your vehicle set up as best he can for your budget.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the thread hijack

Quick Reply: Another satisfied Stagg shocks owner