Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Some Decent Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Need Some Decent Brakes

I need to replace my warped rotors, and throw some new pads on as well. I'm looking for some low cost, OE quality or slightly better pads and rotors for the front and rear. I have accounts with DBA, Powerslot/Stop-Tech, Roto-Tech, Brembo, etc., but looking to support some LS1Tech vendors. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

All those brands are decent for rotors. In my opinion, from a stopping imporvement, pads make the majority of the difference. Meaning a quality rotor but a crappy pad will not add much of anything. Go with a quality pad, like Hawk HPS.

Rotors all depends on your budget. I use brakemotive for the street with a Hawk HPS pad. For track days I use Centric blank rotors and Hawk HTC60s.

If you go with DBA's they are expensive and more than 'decent' brakes. Probably overkill for someone just wanting some improvement.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man. I was told similar by a BMW CCA race teacher that we have working for us. He said the Hawk HP10's? are the best pads out there, but love to eat through any finish on your wheels! Ouch...

I just e-mailed my rep for Centric/Powerslot/Stop-Tech. He said he's going to list me some options and prices. I'll most likely order through him at this point since pricing will be the best I'm sure. I appreciate your info!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

All depends on what you want in a pad. HPS are great for street use, but not for a track. The HP+ are much more aggressive, but I don't like them on the street due to the amount of dust and the added noise. I've even had these fade on tracks too. HTC line is strictly for racing and I would not suggest them for street use.

Pick your parts for your application - sort of like a cam.

I've run many different pads over the years, I like the HPS best for street. I got tired of dirty chrome rims with the HP+. If I need an agressive pad, I can now switch them out quickly since I have a dedicated set just for the track.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks again for the info. I spoke with my rep from Centric/Powerslot/Stop-Tech. Putting an order together through him. He stated:

"Note the 306 and 309 pads are the same compound. The 306 are marketed as Centric Fleet Performance and 309 as StopTech Street Performance. The front pad happens to be used in police pursuit vehicles which is why is marketed as Fleet Performance. These pads are perfect for what you want to do…street use and occasional track days. They are quiet, clean, and can handle a lot of heat (MOT 1400 degrees F)."

I think those sound fairly brilliant?
Old 02-28-2012, 02:02 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out the StopTech pads with PowerSlot rotors...you'll love them.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28
Thanks again for the info. I spoke with my rep from Centric/Powerslot/Stop-Tech. Putting an order together through him. He stated:

"Note the 306 and 309 pads are the same compound. The 306 are marketed as Centric Fleet Performance and 309 as StopTech Street Performance. The front pad happens to be used in police pursuit vehicles which is why is marketed as Fleet Performance. These pads are perfect for what you want to do…street use and occasional track days. They are quiet, clean, and can handle a lot of heat (MOT 1400 degrees F)."

Those do sound great. I say give them a shot and let us know what you think. I know those squad cars are put through the ringer, so those pads clearly can put in some serious work!
Old 02-28-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HibachiZ28

Typically the higher the temp rating, the better resistance to brake fade as temps go up, but the trade off is less coefficient of friction at lower temps. So for street driving, you may require longer stopping distances when the pads are cold - such as in emergency situations. Like anything, there is always a trade off. For rotors, go with something you like. I run a drilled and slotted rotor on the street, but wouldn’t think of running them at the track due to cracking. Hence why I run a blank rotor at the track. They don’t look as good, but for the application, they are a better product.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys!

I ordered these StopTech/Powerslot/Centric rotors:
126.62013SL and SR (front slotted rotors)
126.62033SL and SR (rear slotted rotors)

& StopTech/Powerslot/Centric pads:
306.01540 (front pads)
309.04130 (rear pads)

2-3 weeks due to a b/o on one of the rotors.

I'll post up once they are installed.

Last edited by HibachiZ28; 02-28-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

cool. You should be happy. Go ahead and bleed the system while you are at it for good measure.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

i used R1 Concepts rotors on my last car. Not sure if they make them for ours. I liked them a lot.

Quick Reply: Need Some Decent Brakes