Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Founder Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will be gettin some stuff from them here soon.
I hope they make a jegster type tq arm. But i will be gettin partd from them for a few cars. Also very interested in kmember if price is similar to current prices
Old 03-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got their lca and phb and no complaints here.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PHB, adjustable LCA, and relocation brackets and shock tower brace all good high quality stuff.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I got their lca phb and strut tower brace. They seem to be a good quality part.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have an "ax to grind" with any sponsors, however, when a company sells their parts for that low a price, I immediately have to ask how they can do it. In 2007, several months before I retired, I had some free time at work, as well as access to a 'full tilt' machine shop. I decided to take the opportunity to fab up a set of LCAs, but something a little different. I wanted them to be able to accept the Moog rubber bushings, as the roads are pretty bad in my area, and I wanted something that was structurally superior to the OE LCAs, but with just a little "give".

I contacted my company's steel supplier and told them what I needed. They had a mimimun order policy which I had to go by, since we were slow at the time, and didn't have any open orders with them, that I could add my request to. Therefore, I wound up with enough American made, DOM steel to make 2 pairs of LCAs, which is what I wound up doing. They did, however, give me my company's discounted price.

Long story short, the cost of the steel, and the cost of the bushings alone, was more than Founders charges for a finished part. I truly don't see how they can do it....
Old 03-09-2012, 06:39 AM
TECH Regular

I have their LCAs and panhard. Great quality and easy to install.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I truly don't see how they can do it....
Ever seen American Gangster? Maybe they went to the source. Maybe they bought 50,000 bushings.

Or (what I think) they found a company that was just struggling because of the economy and had them CNC cut parts at an insanely low price just to keep the doors open. Founders sells the products for a couple years at a loss or at cost then jumps the price a little when economy turns around and their name/brand is recognizable.

Just because the doors are open doesnt mean they are profitable.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
....Or (what I think) they found a company that was just struggling because of the economy and had them CNC cut parts at an insanely low price just to keep the doors open. Founders sells the products for a couple years at a loss or at cost then jumps the price a little when economy turns around and their name/brand is recognizable.

Just because the doors are open doesn't mean they are profitable.

I suppose that's a possibility.....
Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

installed there PHB and lower control arms(still need to install the lca brackets) over the weekend. All parts looks very nice and install was very easy. Time will tell how the quality is!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Launching!

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
Ever seen American Gangster? Maybe they went to the source. Maybe they bought 50,000 bushings.

Or (what I think) they found a company that was just struggling because of the economy and had them CNC cut parts at an insanely low price just to keep the doors open. Founders sells the products for a couple years at a loss or at cost then jumps the price a little when economy turns around and their name/brand is recognizable.

Just because the doors are open doesnt mean they are profitable.
Or it's made in the east...there was word on 3rdgen.org that they're the same as J&M. I don't buy that.I bought original J&M strut mounts for my cars because other companies simply copied their product.I was thinking about the founders ones but not sure if they were chinese or similar.I don't spend my money on china junk so I didn't want to take the rist.

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 03-12-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Long story short, the cost of the steel, and the cost of the bushings alone, was more than Founders charges for a finished part. I truly don't see how they can do it....
Excellent post sir and thanks for bringing that up. Now add in credit card fee's, advertising cost, testing, engineer payroll, test vehicles as well as a full time tech and salesman on staff.

These things all add up and contribute to the cost of the product. For example UMI has a test vehicles for every product we offer, we have at least one of each make of vehicles we produce products for sitting here for fitment, road test or racing. As many of you know these newer vehicles (2010+ Camaro and Mustang) are not cheap to purchase, also classic cars in good shape have increased in value over the past few years. We also staff full time engineers, salesman and technical support for our products.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Launching!

I'll test your stuff for free, have a couple of 3rd gens, 4th gens,4th gen G body and so on Can test high speed @ german autobahn should I send my adress?
Old 03-12-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
orit's made in the east...there was word on 3rdgen.org that they're the same as J&M. I don't buy that.I bought original J&M strut mounts for my cars because other companies simply copied their product.I was thinking about the founders ones but not sure if they were chinese or similar.I don't spend my money on china junk so I didn't want to take the rist.
J&M is Founders.
Brian Croutcher owns both websites and buildings, do a search...
Old 03-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Launching!

I believe you,still...why would there be a 100$ difference between caster/camber plates from the same company then but under a different name?

http://www.corporationwiki.com/Calif.../45281312.aspx
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is simply my guess of why prices are low.

1. They want to earn their reputation by trying good parts at half price of other brands and once they have customers, prices will be more "industry".

2 Or the prices are cheaper because they don't do their own R&D and the products are simply carbon copies of other known brands who own, drive the test cars.

Think clear corner lights for camaros on ebay...

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 03-13-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Launching!

But why would a set of J&M strut mounts cost something like $240 and the founders $150 if it's the same co.? I feel robbed now LOL Could have saved me a bundle (I have to pay taxes and import fees over parts price + shipping so it easily adds up to $150)
Old 03-14-2012, 03:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't have an "ax to grind" with any sponsors, however, when a company sells their parts for that low a price, I immediately have to ask how they can do it. In 2007, several months before I retired, I had some free time at work, as well as access to a 'full tilt' machine shop. I decided to take the opportunity to fab up a set of LCAs, but something a little different. I wanted them to be able to accept the Moog rubber bushings, as the roads are pretty bad in my area, and I wanted something that was structurally superior to the OE LCAs, but with just a little "give".

I contacted my company's steel supplier and told them what I needed. They had a mimimun order policy which I had to go by, since we were slow at the time, and didn't have any open orders with them, that I could add my request to. Therefore, I wound up with enough American made, DOM steel to make 2 pairs of LCAs, which is what I wound up doing. They did, however, give me my company's discounted price.

Really? You wanted something better/stronger then OEM with give and your solution was to build a new set of LCAs from scratch. You have flawed logic sir. The quickest, cheapest, and simplest way would have been to box your stock junk and been done. Same result, 1/10th the price.

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Excellent post sir and thanks for bringing that up. Now add in credit card fee's, advertising cost, testing, engineer payroll, test vehicles as well as a full time tech and salesman on staff.
Really? They don't need engineers or testing or vehicles if they don't want. What's on the market is tried and true. An identical copy of something that works and is proven is going to work as advertised. I don't see Founders re-inventing the wheel, they are making a product with like quality of their competitors but eliminating the costs. I assume its advertising, engineering, tech and sales staff that gets run on the thin side to keep cost down. With the proper CNC equipment and programs you only need a high school kid in the shop punching buttons and chucking up parts to keep an operation like this going. I welded for a CNC machine shop for years, I know how this stuff works. Also, fresh out of welding school I applied for a welding job at a place that makes scaffolds. They paid next to nothing for the wire gun work, and all you did was tighten 2x2 square tubing in a jig and sealed up the corners. So simple a monkey couple do it. I passed on that job.

I don't know how Founders makes what they do, but I currently own some of their stuff and some of the other big names BMR, UMI, Spohn etc. all currently on my car, and if you took the stickers off you couldn't tell the difference.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

And, they shipped me the wrong panhard bar a long time ago, one email and I had a new (correct) one at my door in a few days. They didn't even hassle me to return the other one. That's customer service, eating one for your mistake no questions asked.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Really? They don't need engineers or testing or vehicles if they don't want. What's on the market is tried and true. An identical copy of something that works and is proven is going to work as advertised. I don't see Founders re-inventing the wheel, they are making a product with like quality of their competitors but eliminating the costs. I assume its advertising, engineering, tech and sales staff that gets run on the thin side to keep cost down. With the proper CNC equipment and programs you only need a high school kid in the shop punching buttons and chucking up parts to keep an operation like this going. I welded for a CNC machine shop for years, I know how this stuff works. Also, fresh out of welding school I applied for a welding job at a place that makes scaffolds. They paid next to nothing for the wire gun work, and all you did was tighten 2x2 square tubing in a jig and sealed up the corners. So simple a monkey couple do it. I passed on that job.
I won't sit here and argue with you because it will be pointless. But a lot of our products are not copies of others. We designed them, we test and we support them. We don't have a single high school kid working here. Have you looked at the going rate of a mechanical engineer lately? Not cheap.

Control arms and panhard bars are simple, tubing, bushings and weld. Front a-arms, k-members ect take more time and effort to design.

Many companies pay next to nothing for work to be done, we don't. 80% of our staff here is working here as a career, not a temp job until the next best thing comes around. This cost us more money but also results in more dedicated employees and less mistakes. High school kids don't care about your business or your future, if you are not inspecting everything they do something can easily slide out the door that isn't right.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Slid my 01' into a telephone pole sideways doing 90mph and the Founders LCA were still in 1 piece. These things are built ******* solid.

Quick Reply: Founder Performance