Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Swaybar 101 inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Swaybar 101 inquiry

Hi guys,

So I have been doing small suspension mods here and there. My Z28 has 73k on it and I noticed my swaybar bushings in the rear looks like they need to be replaced.

I have heard many different things about getting aftermarket swaybars and I would like to get this subject straightened out with your help from past experience.

So if I were to just get a set of UMI 35mm and 22mm swaybars would it make my driveability suffer? I'm not talking drag sway bars here, I am just wondering is it worth it to the get the actual swaybars or just new swaybar poly bushings?

Are swaybars even worth getting, handling is a concern however

Also to further this, my car is just a weekend car that is garaged. I dont plan on getting rid of it and next summer Im putting a D1sc on it.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Hi guys,

So I have been doing small suspension mods here and there. My Z28 has 73k on it and I noticed my swaybar bushings in the rear looks like they need to be replaced.

I have heard many different things about getting aftermarket swaybars and I would like to get this subject straightened out with your help from past experience.

So if I were to just get a set of UMI 35mm and 22mm swaybars would it make my driveability suffer? I'm not talking drag sway bars here, I am just wondering is it worth it to the get the actual swaybars or just new swaybar poly bushings?
Your driveability will not suffer at all.

Are swaybars even worth getting, handling is a concern however
If you are into handling then yes, [a good set of] swaybars will make a big difference. UMI's are very well balanced being 35mm/22mm. Body roll will be greatly decreased, turn in will be sharper and more direct and the car will be tighter all around in corners. These are a very noticeable improvement.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Your driveability will not suffer at all.

If you are into handling then yes, [a good set of] swaybars will make a big difference. UMI's are very well balanced being 35mm/22mm. Body roll will be greatly decreased, turn in will be sharper and more direct and the car will be tighter all around in corners. These are a very noticeable improvement.
Sounds great! However are the bushings that come with them poly? or the end links solve that issue?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Sounds great! However are the bushings that come with them poly? or the end links solve that issue?
Pretty sure they are poly, but poly is ok to have in swaybar endlinks and swaybar D-bushings as they don't move or need to articulate like control arms.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Raoul. Thanks JD.

Our 35/22 is a popular combo and provides a good balance as mentioned.

They come with poly bushings, end links, brackets, etc.

A moderate bar set like 35/22 will help the car stay flat yet comfortable.

Give us a call and we can fix you up.

Ramey
Old 03-08-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input and I will definitely be picking them up before the end of summer
Old 03-09-2012, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or go for some hollow sways like Strano's 35/22 ones and save some weight...

Quick Reply: Swaybar 101 inquiry