Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Metal brake pad clips rubbing on rotor!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004 | 11:39 AM
Launching!

Default Metal brake pad clips rubbing on rotor!

I am using ls1 brakes on my camaro and just put some new Hawk pads on and had the rotors turned. I cleaned everything up before reinstall and when i stop it sounds like the metal clips on either end of the caliper and rubbing on the rotor and make a very anoying squeel. This only happens at low speeds but drives me nuts! Does anyone have any advice on how to solve this problem?
Old 03-24-2004 | 01:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by kevinb
it sounds like the metal clips on either end of the caliper and rubbing on the rotor and make a very anoying squeel.
* Do you mean the metal clips on the pads? If the metal clips are rubbing, then its time for new pads.
* If thats not it and they are just noisy, did you forget to put the anti-squeel greese on the back of the pads?
* If the pads are metallic, metallic pads can be noisy.
* If the caliper itself is actually making contact with the rotor, then something is definately wrong with the installation. If this a retrofit, then the calliper needs to be shimmed for proper clearance.

--VIP1
Old 03-24-2004 | 06:52 PM
On The Tree

The anti-squeal stuff goes onto the little clips and helps bed them in. Clean off the surface rust on the clips and then put the anti-squeal on both sides of the clips.
Old 03-24-2004 | 07:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tom L. Busby
The anti-squeal stuff goes onto the little clips and helps bed them in. Clean off the surface rust on the clips and then put the anti-squeal on both sides of the clips.
Are you talking about that sliver of alloy that is usually attached to the back of the pads?

--VIP1
Old 03-25-2004 | 12:15 AM
Launching!

I didn't put that anti squeel goo on the clips. I will give that a try.

For clarification the clips i am refering to set in the solid (non-moving) part of the brake calper assembly and allow the pads to slide with the caliper. There is one on either end of the brake pads and one tension clip in the center.
Old 03-25-2004 | 01:14 AM
Staging Lane

For clarification the clips i am refering to set in the solid (non-moving) part of the brake calper assembly and allow the pads to slide with the caliper. There is one on either end of the brake pads and one tension clip in the center.
I love Hawks for their bite, and only run HP+ which dust more. Only downside is more noise, and more rotor wear. Tradeoffs. Noise is most apparent after 1st installing fresh pads on new rotors, then after 100 miles + is disapates. The ONLY way I have reduced brake squeel is by applying "anti-squeel" to the BACK of pads, NOT to the clips that hold the pads in the calipers. The "squeel" occurs due to metal floating caliper resting on back of pad -- I apply antisqueel to backs of both pads, but in theory, the most important pad is the outboard pad which rests on the "floating" part of the caliper. GOOD LUCK, and stay with Hawks, as safety is much more important than extra noise or brake dust!!!
Old 03-25-2004 | 02:57 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator
20 Year Member

The anti-squeel stuff is for the back of the pads not the clips. I've never put any on the clips before. The clips also shouldnt come in contact with the rotor. If those clips are contacting the rotor then something is wrong.

--VIP1
Old 03-25-2004 | 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I know that the antosqueal is usually put on the back of the pads. The sound of the clips is a different sound. Just drop a clip onto concrete and you can hear the same pitch. That's what lead me to put the anti-squeal on the clips. I think the clips vibrate and cause the sound that is at issue -- it occurs at low brake loads and goes away when you press harder on the brakes. (The clips don't touch the rotor -- they are the tiny shiny things at both ends of the pads.)
Old 03-25-2004 | 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same thing happened to me a while ago, did 2 things: Replaced the clips, they are cheap, and technicaly are supposed to be replaced when pads are replaced. make sure they aren't bent, make sure you can press them all the way into the caliper.

Also, check for rust around the middle of the rotor. My problem was I had so much rust on the outside center of the rotor, it would rub. I carefully held a metal file to the center (top, not the bad contact part, the part where you can see down into the vents) and spin the rotor, slowly filing off the rust. Spray it down with brake parts cleaner afterwards.

Quick Reply: Metal brake pad clips rubbing on rotor!