bilsteinshocks vs Koni shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeless2bNY
my feeling is NEVER really listen to someone who
is too sure of themselves on any count.

as for the shocks. there are more then Bilstien and Koni out there.
if you wanna listen to one guy thats been doing it one way forever(and it works no doubt)
then you can.

my suggestion it look at all that is out there and call the manufactors and see what they have to say. get the specs and start comparing.

or be blind and get a set of Koni's...they are great, just not the end all and be all of handleing as some will have you believe
OK... so what shocks are better than Konis for these cars in your opinion?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my $.02.

The Bilstein's are good shocks. They're a substantial improvement over the stock Decarbons. When I upgraded, I went with the Bilstein's because they were on sale and the Koni's weren't. I didn't think the Koni's were worth the extra cash.

In hindsight, I'm happy with the Bilstein's however I was WRONG about the Koni's being worth the additional cash. I can certainly see how an even better shock would help with responsiveness and control in the twisties and if I had it to do all over again I would buy the Koni's.

As for the comments on Sam, I'll share my personal experience. I love cars but frankly know little about the parts that make them what they are. Much of what I've learned have come from others on the board (and I try to exercise a bit of discretion on what I believe to be fact vs. opinion).

When I was upgrading my setup to hit a road course I had no clue where to start. I figured out quickly from reading Sam's posts that he is clearly a "go to" resource in the business. His history on the track supports that. Sam and I traded PM's and several calls to help me finally arrive with a setup that meets my needs and my budget. The beauty of what Sam is able to provide is that he is "the guy". Sam doesn't have a ton of people doing this stuff for him -- the advice is coming straight from the horse's mouth. The trade off is that there isn't always a 4 minute turn around on PM responses or phone calls. I understand that responsiveness and ease of doing business is important to some, however I'd much prefer to get the type of personalized service and peace of mind that comes from getting my advice from one of the most-recognized best in the business. Could you guys imagine how tough it would be to find reliable information in this section if Sam didn't take the time to post over here?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

my feeling is NEVER really listen to someone who
is too sure of themselves on any count.

as for the shocks. there are more then Bilstien and Koni out there.
if you wanna listen to one guy thats been doing it one way forever(and it works no doubt)
then you can.

my suggestion it look at all that is out there and call the manufactors and see what they have to say. get the specs and start comparing.

or be blind and get a set of Koni's...they are great, just not the end all and be all of handleing as some will have you believe
I gotta say, this makes me chuckle a bit.

He says, basically: You can do better. According to his sig the car is stock, and his first F-body. He doesn't say how at all. I'm guessing he'll come back with something like Penske or some such thing. Never mind they cost a ton and the valving isn't set by Penske but by the builder. And Never mind the fact that in the Camaro I beat up on cars with up to Triple-Adjustable Penske's and do the same on the Corvettes, with lowly old off the shelf Koni's.

As for recommending one thing and having done it forever. What a joke. I don't always recommend them, only when it's warranted. And well, you know it's my job to make the best recommendation I can. If you want to call someone who isn't too sure of themselves, that's fine. I don't have all the answers to everything and I often bat options around with customers about what might be best *FOR THEM*, if there are options that will work. And then there is the little matter of the fact that I've proven time and again that this stuff works, as well as you being able to see that lots of folks here are very happy with what they have, including folks that have had other things to, you know... actually be able to compare with.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-02-2012, 12:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

He says, basically: You can do better. According to his sig the car is stock, and his first F-body. He doesn't say how at all. I'm guessing he'll come back with something like Penske or some such thing. Never mind they cost a ton and the valving isn't set by Penske but by the builder. And Never mind the fact that in the Camaro I beat up on cars with up to Triple-Adjustable Penske's and do the same on the Corvettes, with lowly old off the shelf Koni's.

As for recommending one thing and having done it forever. What a joke. I don't always recommend them, only when it's warranted. And well, you know it's my job to make the best recommendation I can. If you want to call someone who isn't too sure of themselves, that's fine. I don't have all the answers to everything and I often bat options around with customers about what might be best *FOR THEM*, if there are options that will work. And then there is the little matter of the fact that I've proven time and again that this stuff works, as well as you being able to see that lots of folks here are very happy with what they have, including folks that have had other things to, you know... actually be able to compare with.
Yeah, that made me laugh as well!! Kind of like going to a dentist for your heart surgery. Why pick the guy that's done thousands of heart surgeries? Go with the other guy that might have a different "perspective"! Maybe he'll be trying something "new". HAHAHAHA

When I pick parts for my car, I do tons of research and talk to the people that have the most experience. Eric Koenig (of HKE engines), Robert @ G-Force, Patrick G, etc. These guys have done it and have the results to back it up. They've all helped me and offered sound advice, never expressing that I'm "bothering" them. Sam is the same. When I replace my shocks, he'll be the guy I'm talking to.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I called you for a recommendation of shocks for my Suburban, and I totally thought you were going to sugest a set of Bilstiens, but no, you told me to get some Monroe Reflex. And I thank you for that. She rides like a dream!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You must be wrong. I mean there is no way I'd have not just told you Koni for your 'Burb.. And I hate all Monroes because Sensatracs on F-body's suck. Where'd that clown go that was all about those because they were made in the USA anyway?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

You must be wrong. I mean there is no way I'd have not just told you Koni for your 'Burb.. And I hate all Monroes because Sensatracs on F-body's suck. Where'd that clown go that was all about those because they were made in the USA anyway?
You told me to get the Reflex for the burban. Thats what I went with. You said they were the only Monroes' you would recommend. You said they work well in a light duty truck application.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
You told me to get the Reflex for the burban. Thats what I went with. You said they were the only Monroes' you would recommend. You said they work well in a light duty truck application.
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic because people think he won't recommend anything but Konis.

Sam,

Thanks for the help and advice you've given me in the past. And what you'll give me in the future.

Andy C.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, That's what I started to think but wanted to make sure.
Thanks again Sam.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Ok, That's what I started to think but wanted to make sure.
Thanks again Sam.
That one went over my head too.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That was an attempt at sarcasm. Guess it was lost in translation.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Sam is best known for sports cars. But his advice can carry over to other vehicles. I did bilstiens 5100 on my truck with hellwig bars. But my F body has konis. Big difference.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

That was an attempt at sarcasm. Guess it was lost in translation.
No.. stuff goes over my head more than the avg person
Old 04-06-2012, 02:53 AM
TECH Addict

Koni's (had the sport yellows on my 94 accords for years and loved them) are WAY out of budget as I'm strapped after having just bought my 99 bird but I'm fairly certain I'm in need of new shocks for 3 main reasons, 1) the PS rear seams to bounce more then the DS rear which means when I hit a big bump (lane wide) on the highway the car is all over the place, 2) I can rock the entire car by pushing down on one rear corner, and 3) the car is on the stock suspension at 179k miles.

What is the best bang for the buck that I can now that will work with lowering springs later on, and can I get away with just replacing the rear shocks for now?

Looking more toward ride quality over performance cornering as long as it does as good as it does now in cornering I'm fine, but this is my Daily Driver so ride quality is crucial.

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 04-06-2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Koni. The rears are the cheaper ones, not much more than Bilstein's if you go with the off-car adjustables they are barely over $100 each.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
OK... so what shocks are better than Konis for these cars in your opinion?
IMO just do resurch and see whats out there.

for the fun of it learn what rebound and dampining does and how it affects cars in different situations.

its fun to just learn stuff IMO...

Last edited by Homeless2bNY; 04-24-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

IMO just do resurch and see whats out there.

for the fun of it learn what rebound and dampining does and how it affects cars in different situations.

its fun to just learn stuff IMO...
He was asking this because you said:
So he was asking what do you think are better then?
Also as a side note, I don't think anyone thinks they are the absolute best at everything, but rather the best for your money. To get better dampening you will have to go with higher end custom valved shocks that leave you with no warranty. And the people complaining about paying a measly $750 for a set of konis would **** if they priced out something like that...
Old 04-25-2012, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

i bought the konis from sam had them put on with 2 point welded subframes stock springs whole new car. i bought the konis because in 1980 my uncle had a car prepped by a guy you probably never heard of named bob sharp it was a 280z. first car i ever rode in and was scared going around a corner. ever since then i wanted my own set of konis.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
He was asking this because you said:

So he was asking what do you think are better then?
Also as a side note, I don't think anyone thinks they are the absolute best at everything, but rather the best for your money. To get better dampening you will have to go with higher end custom valved shocks that leave you with no warranty. And the people complaining about paying a measly $750 for a set of konis would **** if they priced out something like that...
ur right...

is it just me tho, or shouldn't there be like 50 differant top end shock options for these cars. i mean they are really bad *** and ppl that own them treat them right...

compare how many good kits are out there for, idk a 240SX or Mustang(any year) they seem to have more options don't they???

just something to think about when ur home alone and the pwer goes out...lol
Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

ur right...

is it just me tho, or shouldn't there be like 50 differant top end shock options for these cars. i mean they are really bad *** and ppl that own them treat them right...

compare how many good kits are out there for, idk a 240SX or Mustang(any year) they seem to have more options don't they???

just something to think about when ur home alone and the pwer goes out...lol
Gotta understand something here.
First, most Fbody owners are drag racers, so they will go with drag shocks, unlike many other performance cars that have owners that drift/road race/autox a lot more. Many looking for better handling from GM just upgrade to a Corvette.
Next, Mustangs are just simply more popular, there is no getting around that, so they should have a bigger aftermarket.
And last, 4th gens are not being made anymore, so any newly developed product is very unlikely going to be engineered to fit these cars.

Quick Reply: bilsteinshocks vs Koni shocks