Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Should flexing be an issue w/ my new setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should flexing be an issue w/ my new setup?

Currently, I just have a cammed LS1 and the stock 10-bolt. The engine is sitting on poly motor mounts, has a chromoly strut tower brace on top, and the car has BMR weld-in tubular subframe connectors.

For the past 180k miles or so, everything has been good. No dimples in the quarter panel or anything...

HOWEVER, I am about to drop in a 6.2L and upgrade the rear to a 9". Should I be worried about more flexing or should my current setup still be good? The car will only be putting down roughly 450rwhp.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dimples are from wheel hop (if anything) not from the chassis twisting. Either way SFC's brace the car before the rear quarter panels, so they wouldn't help that anyway.
Are you taking this car to the dragstrip? If so won't you need a cage anyway to go 11.5 or faster?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DANSBIRD
Currently, I just have a cammed LS1 and the stock 10-bolt. The engine is sitting on poly motor mounts, has a chromoly strut tower brace on top, and the car has BMR weld-in tubular subframe connectors.

For the past 180k miles or so, everything has been good. No dimples in the quarter panel or anything...

HOWEVER, I am about to drop in a 6.2L and upgrade the rear to a 9". Should I be worried about more flexing or should my current setup still be good? The car will only be putting down roughly 450rwhp.
Our boxed subframe connectors are on many 8-second and 7-second cars, so twisting will not be an issue - granted, those cars are full cage or multi-point rollbar. Your current setup should be fine to a very high level of power. When you start trapping in the upper 120s and 130s you should look into a rollbar setup to tie-in the subframe points.
- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!