Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

want to lower car 1.5 inches 2002 TA

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default want to lower car 1.5 inches 2002 TA

i have a 02 TA that i want to lower 1.5 inches all around.
looking for good handling and a decent feel.

What spring and shock combo do you guys recommend?
Old 03-27-2012, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have B&G springs which is rated at 1.5ish. i like the look and geel and handles pretty good. i'll have pics soon.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBOPOWERED68
i have a 02 TA that i want to lower 1.5 inches all around.
looking for good handling and a decent feel.

What spring and shock combo do you guys recommend?
Try a search.
If you want to experiment you can order springs with your own custom springs rates from some dirt track/oval racing sites, you can also go with something that is already proven like Strano springs, (with multiple national auto-x wins). Hotchkiss is also a good brand, although may not drop you as much as you want.
As for shocks, best bang for the buck street shock is Koni SA's IMO. Rebound adjustable, good quality, lifetime warranty and down right ridiculous handling, superb neutral balance and feel (think german sports sedan).
Cheaper (although not as good) options are SLP / HD bilstien shocks (non adjustable, don't offer the rebound or handling that Koni does, but good quality), or KYB AGX (adjusts rebound and compression with the same ****, won't offer the ride/handling compromise that Koni does because of how they adjust, and have iffy quality).
If you want to spend a little more you can look into custom valved race bilstiens or Penske shocks as well.

edit: also stay away from drag shocks like QA1, Afco, Strange etc. as you will be paying to hurt handling, ride and feel.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out the Koni/BMR deal going on right now. You can get a set of Koni shocks and BMR lowering springs for $735.00. With that deal, you're getting the BMR springs for free.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Question

For the immediate future we are just doing the Springs first just to see how that feels.
this car will NOT be going to any tracks (1/4 or road course) its a street driver with short WOT blasts from time to time.
the spring change is being done mainly for aesthetics.
at the top of the springs list are

1- Eibach -3870.140 - http://performance-suspension.eibach...ookup_products

2- BMR - Spoo1 - http://bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=291

3- ??????

keep the suggestions coming guys
Thanks.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Eibach Pro kit is great. Probably what you're looking for. I am personaly going to do the pro kit and I'm still undecided as to get sa or the da Koni's. Good luck and I would vote pro kit.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Eibach ride like junk after a year or two because they are so soft. I have the pro kit and they have sagged to look like sport lines

Love the Strano springs I have now
Old 03-29-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Eibach ride like junk after a year or two because they are so soft. I have the pro kit and they have sagged to look like sport lines

Love the Strano springs I have now
Thats because you have the LS1 Pro kit and they have lower spring rates. Buy the LT1 Pro kit. I have a friend who has been rocking an LT1 Pro kit on his LS1 for over ten years now with koni sa's and his car doesn't sag one bit. I ran the LT1 pro kit with bilsteins for 4 years and not one complaint from me. As a mater of fact, I'll be using those springs again on my newest addition. The two kits are different but people seem to forget the LT, and LS cars have the same overall weight...

Strano springs I'm sure are good. But they are performance oriented. Every picture of them I have ever seen, and hundreds of people have complained about how the front end of the car appears to sit higher than the rear. On top of the fact that most people install them and the next thread is about how they can get there car lower because it's not appealing to the eye. Like I said, performance oriented. Regardless of weather it does or not is not the issue. The op is looking for an appearance mod and the pro kit without a doubt, no questions asked will give him what he's looking for.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I ran Eibachs on my old SS.. Not sure how many miles but they werent the best riding springs. Stock shocks though
Old 03-29-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Guitar
I ran Eibachs on my old SS.. Not sure how many miles but they werent the best riding springs. Stock shocks though
Springs weren't the issue. Your stock shocks were.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Springs weren't the issue. Your stock shocks were.
While I realize that, they still aren't going to feel amazing, and from reading everything about them, I'd never buy them personally.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Guitar
While I realize that, they still aren't going to feel amazing, and from reading everything about them, I'd never buy them personally.
What exactly have you read about them? People complain because they are a progressive rate spring, but other than that what draw backs keep you from buying them? I only ask out of curiosity because I loved mine. The LS kit sags in the rear. That why guys most often run the LT kit. I did and ran bilsteins with them and it was perfect for my dd with a budget. On the other hand my buddies z28 with a LT pro kit and koni sa's handles like it's riding on rails along with the other suspension mods he had done (sway bars, subframe connectors, ect). But the pro kit gives the look too. Just curious to any insight you may have that I've over looked or not heard of.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Doh I was wrong, I have the bmr spring on my firebird. I love them

Eibach:

Bmr : The spring rate is firmer however that does not compromise ride quality, it infact makes it better. Where the eibachs fail is that they compress too far, the bmr springs give more response to the vehicle going over a bump. So the spring initially reacts softly but then as it compressors further it will get slightly firmer

Bmr:

Last edited by chrysler kid; 03-30-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Doh I was wrong, I have the bmr spring on my firebird. I love them

Eibach:

Bmr : The spring rate is firmer however that does not compromise ride quality, it infact makes it better. Where the eibachs fail is that they compress too far, the bmr springs give more response to the vehicle going over a bump. So the spring initially reacts softly but then as it compressors further it will get slightly firmer

Bmr:

I think you may have your information wrong. The bmr springs are a linear rate spring. The amount of pressure it takes to compress the spring one inch, will be required again to compress it another inch. The eibach is a progressive rate spring. That means that as you compress the spring, more and more pressure needs to be applied to continue compressing it as opposed to the bmr which doesn't.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you OP. I love Stranos, but like you I want that extra measly 1/4 inch. B&G is probably the route I will take. If Mr Strano would ever come out with a 1.5-1.6 inch drop spring, I'd be first in line!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

BMR springs, KYB adjustable shocks.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigbomber5
I'm in the same boat as you OP. I love Stranos, but like you I want that extra measly 1/4 inch. B&G is probably the route I will take. If Mr Strano would ever come out with a 1.5-1.6 inch drop spring, I'd be first in line!
He won't. Yet again, for the same reason. His springs are designed for performance and not appearance. The reason his springs lower your car at all it's because of center of gravity. The reason he won't make them any lower is probably because the length of travel will be reduced to a point in which shocks can't really control the spring for the type of competition driving he build his cars for. If you want performance, with some appearance get his springs. If you want appearance, with better handling go else where.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

We went with the Eibach Pro kit.
the car looks great and handles good
BUT
on one dip on the HWY one of my rear tires touched the 1/4 (i think left side)
i am using Monroe shocks which i want to replace with adjustables.
My thoughts are that if i can slow the rate in which the car comes down it wouldn't touch anymore.
What do you guys think?
also like some of you guys suggested the Konis are at the top of my most wanted list.
Please advice,
thanks
David
Attached Thumbnails want to lower car 1.5 inches 2002 TA-rear-before-up-close.jpg   want to lower car 1.5 inches 2002 TA-rear-after-up-close.jpg   want to lower car 1.5 inches 2002 TA-front-before-up-close.jpg   want to lower car 1.5 inches 2002 TA-front-after-up-close.jpg  

Last edited by TURBOPOWERED68; 03-31-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TURBOPOWERED68
We went with the Eibach Pro kit.
the car looks great and handles good
BUT
on one dip on the HWY one of my rear tires touched the 1/4 (i think left side)
i am using Monroe shocks which i want to replace with adjustables.
My thoughts are that if i can slow the rate in which the car comes down it wouldn't touch anymore.
What do you guys think?
also like some of you guys suggested the Konis are at the top of my most wanted list.
Please advice,
thanks
David
Koni SA's or DA's by far are going to be your best bet. If you can't or just simply don't want to shell out the money for them get yourself a set of bilsteins. Hd's or the slp's. They are the same thing just renamed. Like I said in a previous post. I ran the pro kit for 4 years coupled with slp bilsteins and didn't have a single issue. Never bottomed out, never scrapped, and never drove the car fast enough to worry about needing over a thousand dollars in shocks. And no, you don't need koni's to drive 70 mph on the high way if your car visits the track once, maybe twice a year like mine did. Mine spent 13-14 k miles a year at 70 and maybe over a mile combined at the track at speeds over that. The only thing I did other than installing the parts was roll my fender and I only did it because I was concerned about my tires rubbing. I was running a 17x11 TT2 with a 315/35 on the rear. Never rubbed, just did it as preventative maintenance. Good luck. My current car has the stock slp springs with monroe sensatrack and it bottoms out the rear just looking at a bump, hell I don't even have to turn my car on, lol. Good luck man and get some new shocks, it will make it feel even better.

Quick Reply: want to lower car 1.5 inches 2002 TA