Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stranos, Lower Perch, HH Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Front shocks on these cars have not a lot of working travel. Koni's have adjusters on the bottom of the shock rod. You are already running lowering springs, and by running the shocks on the lower perch you drop the car another 1/2" or more on top of the springs. You end up sitting more like Sportlines (which I think are too low), though with more spring rate (a good thing).

You can do it if you want. I never recommend starting that way, the springs were developed on Koni's at the stock perch height. If you want to try the lower one, ok but you do run a greater possibility of hurting the shock... it's really that simple.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-01-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me likey. might consider ditching my b+g springs for strano's, but i like the b+g's cuz of ride quality, dont race much. Koni's and Strano bars are in my future. but pics like this makes me consider strano springs. when i'm ready to bite the bullet i'll call good ol' Sam and pick his brain a bit. I know he loves it. thats why he's on here.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think you might be surprised. I recall the B&G's were actually stiffer in the rear, and a lot of the ride quality comes from back there, much like a pickup truck.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-01-2013, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

^^^ thanx for the info.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

can you move to the lower perch while everything is still on the car? Jack the car up on stand all around, take wheels off and use a spring compressor to releave tention and then move to the lower perch?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you have a spring compressor that is capable of getting on the spring and compressing it enough to take the tension off (and very little is needed with my springs due to the free length), then I don't see why you couldn't do exactly that.

Sam

Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
If you have a spring compressor that is capable of getting on the spring and compressing it enough to take the tension off (and very little is needed with my springs due to the free length), then I don't see why you couldn't do exactly that.

Sam
In a month I will give it shot & report back
Old 10-03-2013, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SpinsB
can you move to the lower perch while everything is still on the car? Jack the car up on stand all around, take wheels off and use a spring compressor to releave tention and then move to the lower perch?
I did this. I dont think I would do it again it was super scary just knowing how much energy is stored in the springs.

My car on the koni lowers and no HH mod sits.

RF 26.25 LF 26.5
RR 26.25 LR 26.5
Old 10-30-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I'm ready to try moving to the lower perch while still on the car. My question is once the tention is off the perch what is needed to move it down? Will it just take some hand force to move it?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The perch sits on a spring clip. You have to get the clip out of the top groove and into the bottom. I don't recommend doing this on the car, but it's possible. Probably not easy and you better make damned sure you have a good spring compressor. I don't think it's worth losing a finger, or worse....

Recommend you take them off and do it the old-fashioned way.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

The perch sits on a spring clip. You have to get the clip out of the top groove and into the bottom. I don't recommend doing this on the car, but it's possible. Probably not easy and you better make damned sure you have a good spring compressor. I don't think it's worth losing a finger, or worse....

Recommend you take them off and do it the old-fashioned way.
Grrr. Lol
Old 10-31-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

agree with Sam, but to answer your question a flat head screw driver is usually enough to pry it out of the grove. its like doing a piston ring if you have ever done that. get one side out and work it around to the whole thing is out.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was going to be lowering my car down on the lower perch as well. Thought about doing this while on the car but decided against. I can take out the strut assembly pretty quick now and just compress spring off car. I need my hands to work and don't want to risk anything. If I can get another 3/8 inch lower in front it would look perfect.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

does the lower perch just sit on the c clip?
Old 10-31-2013, 01:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SpinsB
does the lower perch just sit on the c clip?
That's right.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's right.
ok. tell me if this sounds like a good idea(yes I know there are safer ways). Block car up take wheels off use another jack to compress the front suspension a little then attach the spring compressors and very very lightly let the jack down. Leaving the spring compressed, lower the c clip then reverse the process?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

you can try it. I just hope we don't hear how you lost a finger. on the factory springs I would have said no way. they have to get compressed a long way and the tension is insane. With shorter springs I just don't remember how far they have to go.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

In an earlier post Sam stated that it doesn't take much to compress his springs. So we will c. Maybe this weekend or first of the week.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stranos take very little to compress. I remember when I first installed these on my konis that I could literally tighten down the top nut to torque without compressing the springs. So yes you might be able to do this without much effort. Give it a try but go slow so we don't have a blood story on Monday.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Launching!

I just did this move to the lower perch... On the car, with BMR springs. Was easy and took 20 mins per side and that was with my 4 yr old asking what everything does...lol.

I removed the spindle nut to get that to the side and raise up the upper arm out of the way. That gave plenty of access for my compressors... Which are robust and I trust.

I jacked up the suspension a bit, then secured the compressors. When lowered I could free up the perch and move the clip down.

It does take some care and jiggling at times to make sure all is reseated right, but was pretty easy. So glad I tried this out.

Quick Reply: Stranos, Lower Perch, HH Mod