Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Shock Mount Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Shock Mount Assembly

'99 Z28 M6 -

I'm replacing the front suspension in my car ... it's a high mileage car, so I'm replacing everything. I bought new springs, new shocks and new shock mounts. I want to pre-assemble the shocks/springs prior to tearing the old ones out.

Does anyone have a good diagram of how the shock mount is assembled? Specifically - there is a rubber isolator/bushing that looks like it fits into the top section of the shock mount.

How does this fit into the shock mount? Is it compressed under the nut on the top of the shock & shock mount.

Thanks

Bill
Old 03-31-2012, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes ht goes on top the shock mount and the nut for the shock is tightened down against it. That isolator is extremely important!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

From bottom to top....

shock < spring isolator (on the spring perch) < spring < big washer on the shock shaft < shock mount < shock mount hat (pictured above in the first post) < nut

Last edited by TruBloodTransAm; 04-01-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont forget to use antiseize on the parts so thy don't corrode and stick together. Also there is a rubber grommet for the upper control arm that may need to be replaced.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all of the input! One side of the shock mount hat/isolator is concave. That is the side that goes up, and the nut & washer fit down inside of it?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by billscamaros
Thanks for all of the input! One side of the shock mount hat/isolator is concave. That is the side that goes up, and the nut & washer fit down inside of it?
Yup, that's right. I wouldn't use a lock-nut, just a regular nut and lock washer and possibly a jam nut. The material in the lock-nut will get tight and want to spin the strut's shaft. A regular nut negates this.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Ok .... last question ....

I'll orient the shock mount-to-tower bolts with the two lower shock mounting ears.

Otherwise, there aren't any other adjustments on the shock/spring assembly that I need to worry about, right?
Old 04-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Launching!

Assembled like this?

I know that I'm supposed to torque that nut on the top, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it. The nut tightens down using a wrench and an Allen wrench.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Teching In

That should just tighten down with a wrench. Having done the exact same thing last night and this morning it happened to take two people to do that for me. One holding the Koni in place where the adjustment would be in sight while holding the bottom of the shock in place and top shock mount in place, and the other with the impact driving that exact nut down. I guess I'm not understanding what the allen wrench you mention is for though....
Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Launching!

The end of the shaft coming up out of the shock is set up to take an Allen wrench. I assumed that it is used to hold the shaft in place while tightening the nut down. I'll try to use a Torque wrench on the nut. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Did the "big washer" on the shock shaft under the strut mount come with your shocks, or did you have to purchase it somewhere else?
Old 04-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Teching In

On my Konis that big flat washer came with them. It was about 2 inches in diameter.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Launching!

The Bilsteins came with a big washer (it's kinda a cup, though) but I didn't see where it fit in. It's not currently in my shock mount/spring/shock assembly. You're saying that this fits UNDER the shock mount, on the shock shaft, between the shock mount and the shock body? What holds it in place?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by billscamaros
The Bilsteins came with a big washer (it's kinda a cup, though) but I didn't see where it fit in. It's not currently in my shock mount/spring/shock assembly. You're saying that this fits UNDER the shock mount, on the shock shaft, between the shock mount and the shock body? What holds it in place?
You're making it too complicated. This is a picture of my Koni shock, notice how the washer just sits flush up against the bottom of the shock mount. It's sandwiched in between the shock mount and the shock itself. Not sure about the Bilstein washer, but I assume it fits the same way.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Launching!

My shock assembly is slightly different in that the shock body isn't as close to the shock mount. Which is why I ask how the washer will stay in place.

This picture is my assembled shock, spring and mount assembly, with the washer leaning up against the spring.

It looks like the washer would fit up under the mount, but I'm unsure what the point of having it there is?

Last edited by billscamaros; 04-09-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bill, the large cup gets lightly hammered down around the shock body. It contacts the mount should you bottom out the shock. You'll need to take the assembly apart again remove the lower spring cup, tap the cup onto the top of the shock body and then put it back together. And yes, the allen wrench end is used the hold the shock while you tighten the mounting nut.

Last edited by 94FBIRD; 04-10-2012 at 04:12 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-11-2012, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jsteele90
Yes ht goes on top the shock mount and the nut for the shock is tightened down against it. That isolator is extremely important!
Well I didn't put mine back on. The torch used to get the top nut off completley destroyed them. Put 400 miles on and no problems.. Yet..
Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Launching!

So I have the front end almost torn apart. Is there a trick to getting the lower control arm off? Specifically the rear bolt that runs vertically .... it doesn't want to come out. I want to ask here on the forum before I beat the thing out with a hammer!!!! And the forward one that runs horizontally seems to be blocked a bit by the power steering rack. I'm assuming that the first is just rusted in, and the second one just needs to be worked around the rack. Right?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 428 78T/A
Well I didn't put mine back on. The torch used to get the top nut off completley destroyed them. Put 400 miles on and no problems.. Yet..
See this thread for what IS going to happen to your car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ened-here.html

Quick Reply: Front Shock Mount Assembly