Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

QA1 shock/spring question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QA1 shock/spring question

Hey guys,

As soon as I get back to the states, I am going to dive head first into modding the 99 Trans Am I've just purchased. One of the first things I am addressing is suspension.

I am planning on running the QA1 SA shock/spring package. QA1 shocks front and rear and QA1 front 300lb springs. I would like the car to sit a little lower, but I do not want to sacrifice too much weight transfer. The car is a daily driver, and will be taken to the track every other month or so. However, I have no problem sacrificing some ride quality for improved 1/4 mile times.

I have a few questions. 1 - Will the qa1 shocks and spring make the car sit any lower than factory? Also, should I just run my stock springs in the rear, or buy a set of rear springs.

Thanks in advance guys
Old 04-11-2012, 07:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey redline.

The front QA1's are adjustable ride height so you'll be good for however you'd like to make it sit. You are fine with your factory rear springs.

If you get the SA's, you can use click 6 on all four for street, click 2 on all four as a starting point for strip. Make sure you don't get the "R" series fronts for a driver as the compression damping is around double that of the SA's.

ramey
Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Okay, awesome. So the rear being adjustable as well I can lower it to my liking with the factory springs?
Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM
FormerVendor

The front coilovers are adjustable for height and damping via the shock. With factory rear springs and QA1 shocks, you'll be able to adjust damping but not height.

There's really not an easy way to adjust rear height other than selecting the correct spring to do so, or performing the heater hose mod with your factory springs to lower the rear slightly.

ramey
Old 04-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

I am also shopping around for shocks and springs, I am looking at the QA1 gen f front and rear single adjustable and would also like to lower my car as well. With that being said I do not know where to find rear springs if I get the QA1 front springs. Would say the Eibach prokit work instead of buying the QA1 front springs?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1sicklsx
I am also shopping around for shocks and springs, I am looking at the QA1 gen f front and rear single adjustable and would also like to lower my car as well. With that being said I do not know where to find rear springs if I get the QA1 front springs. Would say the Eibach prokit work instead of buying the QA1 front springs?
There are a number of lowering springs available for the rear. How much do you want to lower the rear? If it's less than an inch you could try the heater hose mod.

Also, depending on the goals for your car, you can lower 1.25" with Strano's SP141 rears.

For drag racing tendencies you can use the QA1 fronts then work to get the rear stance correct even with another brand.

ramey
Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I would like to drop the rear around 1.25-1.3" and want great handling. I don't mind a firm ride or sacrificing a tenth or 2 in the quarter either.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Ive been doing alot of reasearch the last couple of days. I think I have decided to just go with the Koni double adjustable shocks and strano lowering springs. Wont be as good at the strip as the qa1's, but wont be much worse. For the added comfort its a solid choice.

Quick Reply: QA1 shock/spring question