Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

CTSv brakes vs stock fbody brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTSv brakes vs stock fbody brakes

Hey, I did some searching and can't seem to find a thread for it, so maybe you guys have seen one or know the info.

CTSv brakes with the 14" vette rotors(or equivalent) w/ the stainless steel lines and new fluid(maybe Superblue or DOT 4?) with same spec pads as compared to fbody (ceramic, hawk HP, etc, as long as they're the same aggressiveness)

Stock 2 piston front calipers with rubber lines, stock rotors, and fresh fluid, and functional (not worn out, or brand new and not 'broken in' yet)?

What are the stopping distances between the two on the same vehicle from 60? from 100? Beyond that?

Just wondering how much of an advantage it' be to do the big brake upgrade.

Feel free to compare stock vs other similar brake upgrades (Baers, Brembos, stoptech, etc. As long as its bigger than stock), try to give specs!

Sticky potential here if we can get enough input
Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id also like to know.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

honestly i think the only time ud start noticing a difference is when ur constantly on the brakes. like in AX or track. where the brakes will get really hot. thats when stock brakes will start failing and the brembos will still be performing excellent. 60-0 distances when all things are cool will most likely be the same especially if u have decent/good pad rotor setup and SS lines on stock calipers. hell probably even shorter distance since theres less rotational mass u have to deal with. but bling factor definitely goes to the brembos. lol. and i do love em.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Whats the big deal with SS lines? You mean the whole lines? bigger diameter or?

Have you tried the supposed stronger "rubber" short lines that connect to the calipers? I forget their exact name.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

SS wont flex like rubber will. never heard of the stronger rubber ones. personally i feel SS is the way to go no matter what. even if u dont race and drive more spiritedly. never get the spungy brake feel with the SS lines.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so then you are talking about replacing the rubber ones with SS ones. But how if they are rubber because they need to flex as the wheel gets turned and such.

Do you have a link to replacement product?

So your not talking about replacing the stock hard lines. Just the rubber flex hoses?
I gotta get under my car real soon so I like to upgrade something if I can.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

their flexable to that extent but it one expand. or bubble. under hard braking the stock rubber hoses can expand causing loss in braking. it will feel really spungy. lots of vendors here sell Stainless lines. i bought SJM setup. came w/ all the lines plus the lines since i have traction control there was 6 lines i believe.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I've never seen anyone say anything other than subjective thoughts on the matter - ask for hard data/numbers, and you'll hear crickets.

I would suspect that all else being equal, you'd get longer stopping distances due to the increase in the mass moment of inertia from the larger/heavier rotor. The stock f-body brakes are plenty big enough to stop the car quickly at least once...it's when you use them repeatedly to haul a car down that they start to show their weakness.

I remember reading over on frrax (and maybe even over here) that when someone went to a Stoptech BBK, their stopping distances actually increased. Maybe I'll see if I can find that. They did work better on the track, though, due to their ability to handle the heat better.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

There is some good info in this thread regarding stopping distances:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...use-why-2.html

Quick Reply: CTSv brakes vs stock fbody brakes