Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Car doesnt appear to be any lower after Koni/Strano install

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car doesnt appear to be any lower after Koni/Strano install

So I installed my front Koni SA shocks and strano springs yesterday. I didnt get to the rear yet, but when I let the car down, I was concerned why the car doesnt appear to be lower(or as low as it should be). It looks almost stock height. I have included a picture to show you. Ive done quite a few shock/spring installs so I dont think I did anything wrong. Maybe yall could give me some feedback as to what may be wrong. Oh yeah, and I measured from the ground to lip of the fender and it measured 27". i know it should be at least an inch lower. This isnt something that is normal with brand new shocks/springs is it?
Old 04-16-2012, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size tires are you running? Check your PSI? I'm running 275 40 17's with Edelbrock IAS and Eibach PRO Kit and I stand about 26" from ground to fender lip with about 35 to 40 PSI

Old 04-16-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drive it around and let everything set in place.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My old 98 with stock everything would look like a 4x4 when I first would put it down (it had saggy stock springs and didn't look so tall because of it normally). After driving around the block everything would settle back into place. Looks like you may simply need a shake down cruise.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

It takes some miles before the front will settle. The rear is instant. I soon as I let the rear down it looked good. Put some miles on it. Also look at some before pictures or a stock car and you will see the difference. Strano springs will not "slam" the front, but the ride is great. I was curious about mine after the install and looked at some stock pictures and I can see the difference.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks a lot fellas. I have looked at stock photos, and it is a little lower, but nowhere near as low as other cars with the same setup. I will do the rear next and just put some miles on it to see how it settles. Once again, thanks guys
Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It will settle, but also, and I'm thinking this has happened with my rears, shocks/springs could be shot (stock) and already gotten a little low?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Guitar
It will settle, but also, and I'm thinking this has happened with my rears, shocks/springs could be shot (stock) and already gotten a little low?
Well my car only has 20k miles on it. And even still, it would definitely sit lower than it is. Im just gona wait and see if it settles in
Old 04-18-2012, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Raise
So I installed my front Koni SA shocks and strano springs yesterday. I didnt get to the rear yet, but when I let the car down, I was concerned why the car doesnt appear to be lower(or as low as it should be). It looks almost stock height. I have included a picture to show you. Ive done quite a few shock/spring installs so I dont think I did anything wrong. Maybe yall could give me some feedback as to what may be wrong. Oh yeah, and I measured from the ground to lip of the fender and it measured 27". i know it should be at least an inch lower. This isnt something that is normal with brand new shocks/springs is it?
yep wat they all said above. drive around actually for a few days and it will settle fully after about a week. installed my stock ws6 springs on the koni lower perch and it looked the same but now i can clearly see its about 3/4 of an inch lower in front.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

Yeah, springs take a little drive time to settle. Glad it worked out for you. Your car looks great.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

One other thing to consider is which groove did you use on the front shock to mount the lower perch? There are 2 and one sits lower than the other. I have the Konis, but have the Ground Control kit instead of lowering springs, but I do recall I had two grooves on the Koni shock for the lower perch. The site says there is 3/8" difference between the 2 grooves. So there might be a little extra left in them if you chose the top groove.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put some miles on the setup, it takes awhile for things to settle as these guys have said
Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
One other thing to consider is which groove did you use on the front shock to mount the lower perch? There are 2 and one sits lower than the other. I have the Konis, but have the Ground Control kit instead of lowering springs, but I do recall I had two grooves on the Koni shock for the lower perch. The site says there is 3/8" difference between the 2 grooves. So there might be a little extra left in them if you chose the top groove.

I noticed that...how would you change them though?

Well...reading around it seems that it can screw it up with lower springs.

Last edited by Guitar; 04-19-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
I noticed that...how would you change them though?

Well...reading around it seems that it can screw it up with lower springs.
If memory serves correct, it is just a spring circlip. You lift black portion shown to expose the clip. Then use a screw driver to pop the clip out of the groove and move it to the groove you want.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Yea drive it around and they will settle. Put mine on and the driver rear did NOT lower at all. I was slightly pissed lol. Drove the car around and they settled a little, then a couple days later they settled more and are the same height as the passenger rear now.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i installed stronos onto my Konis couple months ago and I'm 26.5 in the front. I have the option of using the lower perch on my konis yes but I'm happy with the ride quality and the lower stance. yes it could be a little lower IMO but the front springs are very stiff and may take awhile to fully settle in. My rear I'm at 26.75 using the factory isolator still.

Last edited by sscamaroburn02; 04-23-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:32 PM
10 Second Club

so heres a question how can I raise the rear up about a 1/4 with stranos and konis? I have a fabricated 9 and I think the new rear end makes it sit a little lower than normal with strano springs, is there any kind of isolator I can get or maybe something to put on the isolatior to make it thicker??
Old 04-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
i installed stronos onto my Konis couple months ago and I'm 26.75 in the front. I have the option of using the lower perch on my konis yes but I'm happy with the ride quality and the lower stance. yes it could be a little lower IMO but the front springs are very stiff and may take awhile to fully settle in. My rear I'm at 27 using the factory isolator still.
Wow. I'm on stock springs and lower perch and am at 26.5 in front. HH mod w/stockers in the rear at 27.5. But I have new Nittos out back and they appear taller than the older and more worn Rikens up front.

This thread has a couple of pics of my friend's with Stranos, lower perch, and HH mod. https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ch-hh-mod.html
Old 04-20-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah I could get another 1/2 inch if I used the lower perch but for now it rides great and the stance looks good. It's not slammed but I didn't want it to be in the first place.

For some reason these cars have ride heights all over the place. Very inconsistent from the pics I've seen on here.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
For some reason these cars have ride heights all over the place. Very inconsistent from the pics I've seen on here.
Very true. For example, the reason I got the Konis on front was for the lower perch, as my A4 car was higher in the front than the rear after doing the HH mod. On my M6 car, the rake was just fine after doing the HH mod so didn't need to do anything to the the front. On my 01 T/A, I cut the springs front and rear in addition to the HH mod to get it to set right.

Quick Reply: Car doesnt appear to be any lower after Koni/Strano install