Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Bilstein Shocks with Run Flats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Bilstein Shocks with Run Flats?

Hi All,

I recently got through installing a set of SLP bilstein shocks on my 98 firebird. I was running on the stock decarbons prior to the install and the car has 86K miles on it and its an A4 at full weight with LCA's and panhard bar on stock springs, no heater hose mod in rear.

I must say I am not as impressed as some of the reviews i have read on this forum, I know handling is a relative opinion which varies greatly, but from a "performance" standpoint, I feel that these shocks made the ride much more harsh, when the car hits any kind of bump I feel like it bounces around, I noticed I have MORE squeeks, rattles and noises as well. The only thing is can think of is im running a set of Goodyear EMT runflats, I am thinking because of the very stiff sidewall, that the car is not handling as well as it should. The wheels are staggered 17 18 with a 9.5/10.5 wheel from a C5 Z06, with 245/275 width tire. I just figured if the suspension gurus had any insight to my thoughts and concern, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by MikeW72; 04-30-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know what you mean about them not being all they are talked up to be. I put the bilsteins on my car around 60k miles. I have stock springs but I also did several other things at the same time (sub frame connectors, lca's, strano bar up front, spohn in the rear, panhard bar, etc.) and i really dont feel that much better about the way the car feels.

I think my problem more comes from the fact that I didn't and still dont drive mine that often so I wasn't familiar enough with its bad performance to appreciate all the new parts I installed. I would really like to find a stock one around here to drive and compare the difference. You might try driving a friends car or even one on a lot somewhere to see if you can "feel" a difference.

I can tell you that my 96 with cheap *** autozone shocks a stock springs feels far more planted than my 01 with bilsteins and most all of the suspension mods you can think of...

I really wish I could get Sam to drive my cars and tell me why there is such a difference in them and what I need to do to the 01 to make it feel better.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The difference is less notice able if you have a more comfortable riding DD.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I DD mine for about 8 months with stock shocks w/ 85k miles and I could tell an immediate difference going around turns. Not so much everyday driving but I was still pleased with them.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stock shocks were shot so the Bilsteins were a huge improvement for me. But I would lose the runflats in a heartbeat. Aren't those the same Goodyears that all the Corvette guys complain about?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Yes the runflats were off a vette, im in the process of looking for a new set especially with a stall and gears.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeW72
Hi All,

I recently got through installing a set of SLP bilstein shocks on my 98 firebird. I was running on the stock decarbons prior to the install and the car has 86K miles on it and its an A4 at full weight with LCA's and panhard bar on stock springs, no heater hose mod in rear.
What kind of bushings are in the LCA's? If they are poly, then thats not helping any.
I must say I am not as impressed as some of the reviews i have read on this forum, I know handling is a relative opinion which varies greatly, but from a "performance" standpoint, I feel that these shocks made the ride much more harsh, when the car hits any kind of bump I feel like it bounces around, I noticed I have MORE squeeks, rattles and noises as well. The only thing is can think of is im running a set of Goodyear EMT runflats, I am thinking because of the very stiff sidewall, that the car is not handling as well as it should. The wheels are staggered 17 18 with a 9.5/10.5 wheel from a C5 Z06, with 245/275 width tire. I just figured if the suspension gurus had any insight to my thoughts and concern, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Mount some better tires (better fitting ones at that too, a 9.5" wheel should have a 275 tire, and I would do 295+ for the 10.5" wheel, this will give you more side wall as well for better comfort).
Worst case scenario you get better tires and still don't like it and try a different shock.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

I have poly lca bushings, do you recommend rubber? Ok thank you for the info thus far,
im going to put it up on the lift this week and check and grease everything
Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

That is some pretty good advice actually. I did notice a huge difference in my car when switching from my hankooks (that are nowhere near worn out) to some brand new nitto nt555's. The car is much smoother riding but it still doesn't "handle" like I think it should....
Old 05-01-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
That is some pretty good advice actually. I did notice a huge difference in my car when switching from my hankooks (that are nowhere near worn out) to some brand new nitto nt555's. The car is much smoother riding but it still doesn't "handle" like I think it should....
Do you have any other mods that are not listed? Like a 12 bolt or different differential? What bushings do you have in your LCAs?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

I think I listed everything. I have sfc's, lca's, adjustable panhard bar, adjustable TA, strano solid 35mm front bar, strano's revalved bilsteins on stock springs, spohn 22mm solid rear bar. Poly bushings in everything, even the end links. About half a degree of camber up front. 315 nitto nt555 in back and 275 nitto nt555's in the front.

Any idea's?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think I listed everything. I have sfc's, lca's, adjustable panhard bar, adjustable TA, strano solid 35mm front bar, strano's revalved bilsteins on stock springs, spohn 22mm solid rear bar. Poly bushings in everything, even the end links. About half a degree of camber up front. 315 nitto nt555 in back and 275 nitto nt555's in the front.

Any idea's?
Did you have strano valve you a set of bilstiens, or did you buy them used?
Poly bushings in the control arms are hurting you (both ride and handling), endlinks are fine.
What tire pressure are you running too?
And you are on the stock 10 bolt right?
The torque arm is a full length one right (not shorter, tunnel brace mounted)?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Run flats ride horribly. Nonetheless, I would have expected some improvement from stockers to Bilsteins.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

What psi do you run in the tires.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have to admit when i first got my car over a year ago after driving it for 5 minutes i started to realize this car doesn dive as much, corners flat and doesnt bounce up and down when i hit a bump and recovers fast when i hit a dip. I pulled over and looked underneath the car and realized the prior owner had installed bilstein shocks and after seeing it i was very happy. After all the mods i have now on the car the car drive and handles great, so it could be your run flats.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Did you have strano valve you a set of bilstiens, or did you buy them used?
Poly bushings in the control arms are hurting you (both ride and handling), endlinks are fine.
What tire pressure are you running too?
And you are on the stock 10 bolt right?
The torque arm is a full length one right (not shorter, tunnel brace mounted)?
The bilsteins came from Sam. I bought them brand new. It has a stock 10 bolt. I think I am running 35 psi in the tires. The TA is a tunnel mount but I didn't notice any changes in the way the car drives after installing it. It does seem to shift a little smoother though. I notice drivetrain noise is different since then. I wouldn't say louder or quieter, but just different.

What would you recommend in the lca's for bushings? My 96 has them too. As well as sfc, phb, and those cheap *** AZ shocks, sway bars with poly bushings. It just inspires so much more confidence than the 01.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

The bilsteins came from Sam. I bought them brand new.
Hmm, how many miles on them now?
Maybe you could swap shocks/springs from your '96 and see if you like that better. If not, you know its not the shocks/springs then.
I think I am running 35 psi in the tires.
You may want to play around with the tire pressure, see if that changes anything for the better. On a side note about tires, I did notice when I put my 17x11" wheels on the rear it made the rear feel heavier and slower to react compared to the stock 17x9".

The TA is a tunnel mount but I didn't notice any changes in the way the car drives after installing it. It does seem to shift a little smoother though. I notice drivetrain noise is different since then. I wouldn't say louder or quieter, but just different.
From what I remember reading the shorter tunnel mounted TQ arm hurts handling because it changes the instant center, and also can cause brake hop. May want to swap the torque arm from the '96 on there as well and see.
What would you recommend in the lca's for bushings?
For best comfort solid rubber, for best performance rod end or roto-joint.
My 96 has them too. As well as sfc, phb, and those cheap *** AZ shocks, sway bars with poly bushings. It just inspires so much more confidence than the 01.
Does the '96 have anything else different? Same size swaybars as well?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Resident

Man I really appreciate all the input and OP I sincerely apologize for the thread jack.

I might have a little over 10k on the shocks now.

The 96 is a rough riding sob and the there is a lot of suspension noise that travels into the cab versus the 01. The 01 is a cadillac compared to the 96 but the 96 feels planted and on rails where the 01 feels "too tall and boaty/floaty" (if that makes any sense). I certainly dont want to swap those over. I know what I got from Sam is far superior to what the 96 has.

When I put on my widened speedlines I went with the new Nitto's all the way around and my old hankooks (275/17's) went on the 96. The tread is nowhere gone but I think they have turned into hockey pucks. So that may explain some of the harshness in the 96 and part of why the 01 didn't feel as confident with them on it. The 01 seemed to get a lot smoother when I went to the nitto's and it does have more grip for sure.

The 96 has stock TA sway bars. It's not even a WS6. So I'm not sure of their size but I know the ones on the 01 dwarf the 96's.

Really the 01 doesn't give me the confidence in cornes that I want, not like the 96. The 96 got a lot lower when I went with the AZ shocks for some reason. I didn't buy lowering springs or shocks but the car is significantly lower. I know the lower center of gravity contributes to its confidence in corners but it has always felt better than the 01, even before the new shocks.

The one other thing that I notice is that the drivers seat in the 01 is higher and farther forward than the 96. (because of it being fully adjustable) I think my next plan of attack will be to lower the car with Sam's springs and koni's. I think I may switch over to a manual seat adjuster as well. I think changing my position in the car might make a big difference.

Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

25 psi, problem solved. I hate my life at 32 pounds, but 22-25 is like a caddy ride True story.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks! I will give 25 a try next time I take the car out. Hopefully this weekend.

Quick Reply: New Bilstein Shocks with Run Flats?