Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Konis SUCK! High performance, but junk Quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
this is my point of view....$250 for my Monroe or $1,000 for the Koni they will last the same amount of time. I've found better things to do with the $750. I know some of the dealers here don't like me saying that but.............it's how I feel.
You can buy a same year/same mile/same condition cavalier for MUCH less than an LS1 Camaro, so why bother paying more for a Camaro, right?

yes but i'm not spending $1000 every 18 months. lol
I spent $~700 (on sale, and even when not on sale they are not $1000) on my konis and that was about 6-7 years ago, and I won't need to replace them likely ever - but even if i did I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again, nothing for less can even remotely compare.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You can buy a same year/same mile/same condition cavalier for MUCH less than an LS1 Camaro, so why bother paying more for a Camaro, right?

I spent $~700 (on sale, and even when not on sale they are not $1000) on my konis and that was about 6-7 years ago, and I won't need to replace them likely ever - but even if i did I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again, nothing for less can even remotely compare.
I see what you guys are saying but you're missing the point I was trying to make. Why cant we have a decent performing shock that ALSO has an acceptable level of durability??? Is that too much to ask? Can it last ATLEAST as long as everything else on the car? My frikin brake pads wear more slowly than those damn shocks.

Its like this....
OPTION A: Shitty shocks that last
OPTION B: Awesome shocks that rot more rapidly than a dead deer on the side of the highway in July
OPTION C: Awesome shocks with a respectable level of corrosion resistance

I want option C Dammit! If option A costs $80...I ought to be able to get C for $1000...shouldnt I ?

On a related note...my one ray of hope is in noticing that this Koni shock sale seems more a permanent price drop than an actual sale which tells me the rest of the shock buying community isnt as tolerant of this type of corrosions BS as some of the folks on this Forum are....hence the price drop. just a theory
Old 06-20-2012, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by UMD_Jesse
I see what you guys are saying but you're missing the point I was trying to make. Why cant we have a decent performing shock that ALSO has an acceptable level of durability??? Is that too much to ask? Can it last ATLEAST as long as everything else on the car? My frikin brake pads wear more slowly than those damn shocks.
I completely know what you are saying, that quote was not directed at you at all, its for our town drunk - LS1121.

Its like this....
OPTION A: Shitty shocks that last
OPTION B: Awesome shocks that rot more rapidly than a dead deer on the side of the highway in July
OPTION C: Awesome shocks with a respectable level of corrosion resistance
That being said I took a peak at my konis about a week ago when I changed my oil and they look nothing like yours (mine have probably 30K-40K miles on them) and Ive driven in a few of our harsh, salt happy winters and never really cleaned the shocks off, so I don't know what to tell you. I have a couple small spots of surface rust near the bottom and thats it.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=JD_AMG;16438975]I completely know what you are saying, that quote was not directed at you at all, its for our town drunk - LS1121.

WOW that's pretty Good, town drunk.....sorry gave up drinking a long time ago lol. but it shows me the character of jokers like you peddeling your wares on the youth. I would say that most all of the things you sell I don't need. ALL of my suspension is OEM and has worked fine since I bought the car back in 1997. Except for changing to Poly bushings which have been fantastic for my needs. Thanx Summit Racing. but I do Love reading the posts of people that put all of the aftermarket stuff on their car and then wonder why car doesn't ride as Nice as it used to. Be honest MOST people don't need that stuff. Maybe if I were Big daddy or Sox and Martin I would have use for it but a car used as a daily driver.......come on get real.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

but it shows me the character of jokers like you peddeling your wares on the youth. I would say that most all of the things you sell I don't need.

Stop. Just do yourself a favor and stop. Every time you post you dig yourself a little deeper.

This particular individual that you repeatedly try to insult with those little barbs....

DOES NOT SELL ANYTHING
IS NOT A VENDOR HERE
HAS NEVER SOLD ANYTHING
HAS NEVER BEEN A VENDOR HERE

1) Read
2) Comprehend
3) Think
4) THEN post
Old 06-21-2012, 11:30 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Laughable this guy is. He doesn't need X, Y, and Z... but the car would fall apart if it wasn't for the stuff he obviously must need: ".799 Heads, LS6 Intake, 5308 Cam, Linginfelter Oil Pump, LS7 Lifters, LS2 Timing Chain, SLP Lid and Red FRC's. this is my Z06. RevMax 2800 Stall, Hyperflex Suspension Bushings and Motor Mounts, Drilled and Slotted Rotors." People that live in glass houses should not throw stones. You forgot your precious Monroe Sensatrac's on your list.

Most anyone who's had poly bushings knows the "caster" bushing in the stock arm in polyurethane is a terrible design and prone to failure. Either yours has and you don't know it because you just putt around, or it hasn't because you just putt around. I can list 20 folks that had them fail (both Energy and Prothane) within a month... some in less than a week.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-21-2012, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Most anyone who's had poly bushings knows the "caster" bushing in the stock arm in polyurethane is a terrible design and prone to failure. Either yours has and you don't know it because you just putt around, or it hasn't because you just putt around. I can list 20 folks that had them fail (both Energy and Prothane) within a month... some in less than a week.
UMI and BMR know it also.

Regarding the poly caster bushing in their original lower a-arm design:

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
It was a poor bushing end choice on our end. The poly bushing binds as the suspension tries to travel. Because of the bind the weakest point of the arm breaks, which is our threaded bushing end. We no longer offer(sp) this style like this. So in reality the A-Arm itself didn't snap but the bushing end broke, still an issue and we have corrected it.

To fix it we replaced it with a Roto-Joint or rod end, both which allow the suspension to travel freely with little friction. We are sending the customer two Roto-Joints to replace the poly ends.

Sorry to see this happen. Thank you,
Ryan
Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Most anyone who's had poly bushings knows the "caster" bushing in the stock arm in polyurethane is a terrible design and prone to failure. I can list 20 folks that had them fail (both Energy and Prothane) within a month... some in less than a week.
Good detailed post.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

bought new 307,000 miles + self service for the total lif of this car so far except for the work Tick performance did. and by the way...you did a GREAT JOB!! Johnathan. I was rebuilding engines way before most of were probably even born. You guy's make me laugh. Ya just can't stand it when someone doesn't agree with you. I come here and post my expierience and knowledge which is good,i don't know everything that is why I am here. Then you goy's don't like what I say so you resort to calling me names. tsk tsk.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

OK so Monroe is made by Tenneco, here is an interesting read. I got this off the internet thru a simple search. Pretty Big Company to be selling jusk as you experts would say.

Tenneco is a multi-national corporation with 80 manufacturing facilities in 24 countries located on 6 continents, with major centers of operations in North America, Europe, Australia and Asia. There were 22,000 employees in 2012. The North American manufacturing facilities are located in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Tennessee and Ohio; the corporate headquarters is located in Lake Forest, Illinois, European facilities in Belgium, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, UK, France and Spain, with headquarters located in Belgium, Asian facilities include in India, China, Singapore and Japan, Australian Facilities are in Sydney, Morea(NZ) and Clovelly park and African Facility includes South Africa's Port Elizabeth.

Tenneco owns the following brands:

Monroe[10]
Walker[11]
Rancho[12]
DynoMax[13]
Clevite Elastomers[14]
Gillet[15]
Fonos[16]
Fric-Rot[17]
Kinetic[18]
Thrush[19]
DNX[20]
Marzocchi[21]
Axios[22]
Lukey[23]

These are sold to over 500 after-market customers including retailers and wholesalers and to more than 25 OEMs, including Audi, Chrysler, Daimler, Enfield, Fiat, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Honda, Navistar International, Jaguar Cars, Mahindra & Mahindra, Maruti Suzuki, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Renault, Škoda, Suzuki, Tata, Toyota, TVS, Volkswagen Group, Volvo, E-Z-GO, and CLUB CAR.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LS1121,
Everybody has their own set of priorities, and yours obviously isn't to maximize the handling potential of your car, I respect that (I might not agree with it, but that's your choice and I respect that).
So instead of belittling everyone who has a different opinion then yours, just respect their opinion and MOVE ON, or at least be constructive! Remember they have to live with their choices, not you.

Have a great day!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Junkie

OK so Monroe is made by Tenneco, here is an interesting read. I got this off the internet thru a simple search. Pretty Big Company to be selling jusk as you experts would say.

Tenneco is a multi-national corporation with 80 manufacturing facilities in 24 countries located on 6 continents, with major centers of operations in North America, Europe, Australia and Asia. There were 22,000 employees in 2012. The North American manufacturing facilities are located in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Tennessee and Ohio; the corporate headquarters is located in Lake Forest, Illinois, European facilities in Belgium, Poland, Czech Republic, Germany, UK, France and Spain, with headquarters located in Belgium, Asian facilities include in India, China, Singapore and Japan, Australian Facilities are in Sydney, Morea(NZ) and Clovelly park and African Facility includes South Africa's Port Elizabeth.

Tenneco owns the following brands:

Monroe[10]
Walker[11]
Rancho[12]
DynoMax[13]
Clevite Elastomers[14]
Gillet[15]
Fonos[16]
Fric-Rot[17]
Kinetic[18]
Thrush[19]
DNX[20]
Marzocchi[21]
Axios[22]
Lukey[23]

These are sold to over 500 after-market customers including retailers and wholesalers and to more than 25 OEMs, including Audi, Chrysler, Daimler, Enfield, Fiat, Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Honda, Navistar International, Jaguar Cars, Mahindra & Mahindra, Maruti Suzuki, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porsche, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Renault, Škoda, Suzuki, Tata, Toyota, TVS, Volkswagen Group, Volvo, E-Z-GO, and CLUB CAR.
I missed your point. Must have gone over my head. Please clarify
Old 06-21-2012, 01:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

WOW. You are so smart LS1121, you can google. I am fully aware that Tenneco owns Monroe. Monroe, Rancho, Walker, all super high end products (not). I'm sure this will fly right over you head the same as it has the last 15 times. I do use some Monroe products. I've had Dynomax exhausts (and had some fall apart too). You continually want to yell and scream while completely not listening to the fact that I have in fact used product from those companies. Why don't I all the time? Because they are not always appropriate.

Now, maybe I'm god-damned nuts, but I prefer to use the best product for my needs or application than just use something because I've used another similar one before and it worked ok. Monroe Reflex, pretty good. Monroe Sensatrac, f**king suck. Sorry, they do. Wonder why they make both for some vehicles, and in some cases only one or the other. I mean you seem to think they are all the same.

That said, since you seem to think that name dropping is cool, look up ITT. That's who owns Koni. And Thyssen-Krupp (they own Bilstein).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 06-21-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just love it when Sam gets on someones ***! Makes my day at work soooo much better.

And "town drunk" was pretty good too. I laughed out loud a little. People were wondering what the hell was wrong with me.

Carry on yall!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought my DA's new from Lingenfelter in '96, and I swapped them from my '95 T/A to my '98 Z28 when I traded up in 9/98. Here are some partial photos of the same set of Koni's from a few months ago when I installed different rear sway bar chassis mounts. I don't have any recent photos of the fronts and I'm not pulling them off just to take photos

I don't particularly care if they are dirty so long as they are working correctly (which has been debatable for awhile due to a hard life); the bottom bushing is a bit cracked but the set of shocks probably has 180-190K miles on them. That sway bar was already rusty when I bought it used from some feller in PA a couple years back
Old 06-21-2012, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

WOW that's pretty Good, town drunk.....sorry gave up drinking a long time ago lol. but it shows me the character of jokers like you peddeling your wares on the youth. I would say that most all of the things you sell I don't need.
Your posts in this thread are exactly why I was calling you "our town drunk" - it sounds like you are drunk or something.
As Ironhead said (thank you Ironhead) I do NOT sell anything on here, and never have. I have NO affiliation what so ever with any of the vendors on here. Im just a regular member like you and most others.

ALL of my suspension is OEM and has worked fine since I bought the car back in 1997.
Has worked fine for YOU, and what YOU want (or don't realize you are missing.)
For those of us who want to improve handling/feel/stability, most of the OEM stuff doesn't cut it.

Maybe if I were Big daddy or Sox and Martin I would have use for it but a car used as a daily driver.......come on get real.
wut?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

....and yet miraculously UMI, Spohn, BMR, etc all seem to accomplish this monumental 'post-powdercoat-bushing-press-in-feat' routinely. In fact ever seen a product from any of the quality sponsors on this site who powdercoats AFTER bushings are installed? I havent. Its all about pride in work vs cutting corners.
None of the vendors above make shocks either. All they make is suspension parts so its feasible to powdercoat a torque arm, control arm, LCA & then press in the poly bushing. I dont ever recall seeing a shock that was powdercoated, only painted.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Sounds like good advice.
Im not sure Im willing to give koni another shot.
Right now Im leaning towards any future shock purchases being aluminum bodied since it cant rust.
thats why i went went QA1 shocks.
they work very well IMO and can NEVER rust!
and the stud that goes thru the top mount where all ur rust is can be replaced on QA1 shocks,
plus fully rebiuldable...etc

the list goes on.

I LOVE THESE SHOCKS!!! lol

Old 06-22-2012, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 423 Likes on 335 Posts

QA1's suck for damping. They used to be crappy quality too. The adjusters would break and the shock would leak. If that's the route you wanted to go a set of AFCO's would blow the QA1's out of the water. I hope they have improved since my experience with them.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:16 AM
BS
Launching!

Originally Posted by Homeless2bNY
thats why i went went QA1 shocks.
they work very well IMO and can NEVER rust!
and the stud that goes thru the top mount where all ur rust is can be replaced on QA1 shocks,
plus fully rebiuldable...etc

the list goes on.

I LOVE THESE SHOCKS!!! lol

Aluminum might not "Rust" but it'll still oxidize.

Quick Reply: Konis SUCK! High performance, but junk Quality