Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Any reason to NOT just get new factory motor mounts......

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
HIGHLY UNLIKELY! Let me ask......how long did your Poly mounts last before you had to replace them?

Highly unlikely? You've got to be kidding me. ALL types of rubber detiorate over time. My oem rubber mounts lasted 11yrs even tho the car is daily driven, raced at the track, and isn't just a 'bolt ons' car. I have no problem replacing the oem rubber mounts I just put in in another 11yrs. Like I said if you like poly mounts more power to you.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

I agree with Stippy, go with what you like. If you don't want the extra vibrations stick with rubber. I cruise on the street, only on nice days in the summer, and go to car cruises. I want the car to be as smooth as possible.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
What do you do with your car? (sorry this might be slipping into thread jack territory)
No not at all, I think this is on topic.

I use it for street driving occasionally and for autox and spectator drags. So I do get where you are coming from and I suppose if you have issues, you can just put new rubber ones on again.

Though this is why I was wondering what kind of engine you plan to replace it with (since you mentioned replacing the engine). With rubber I'm assuming your sticking with bolt on type power. Otherwise I would think the rubber mounts will be abused with extra power.

I really didn't notice much of anything going to poly mounts except for fixing the few issues noted above. I just think the worries about poly mounts everyone makes a big deal of, but thats just my opinion
Old 06-11-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stippy17
Highly unlikely? You've got to be kidding me. ALL types of rubber detiorate over time. My oem rubber mounts lasted 11yrs even tho the car is daily driven, raced at the track, and isn't just a 'bolt ons' car. I have no problem replacing the oem rubber mounts I just put in in another 11yrs. Like I said if you like poly mounts more power to you.
OK first of all Poly isn't rubber. Rubber comes from a Tree. lol.

Again I ask HOW LONG did your Poly mounts last before they wore out??

The only vibration that "I" feel is at a light or when I am stopped and it is almost not noticeable. If you do not like them do not use them. But............................................... .being that you do not have them and I DO don't tell me they are not any good. LMAO.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
No not at all, I think this is on topic.

I use it for street driving occasionally and for autox and spectator drags. So I do get where you are coming from and I suppose if you have issues, you can just put new rubber ones on again.

Though this is why I was wondering what kind of engine you plan to replace it with (since you mentioned replacing the engine). With rubber I'm assuming your sticking with bolt on type power. Otherwise I would think the rubber mounts will be abused with extra power.

I really didn't notice much of anything going to poly mounts except for fixing the few issues noted above. I just think the worries about poly mounts everyone makes a big deal of, but thats just my opinion
New LS3 Camaros and LS7 Corvettes come with rubber motor mounts. Being a street driven, lightly at that, not abused car, rubber will be fine. Priority is ride comfort. Increasing vibrations (motor mounts, and tranny mounts), making the car harsh (adding rod ends, poly, etc), and noisy (aftermarket arms), ruins the "fun to drive factor" for me.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
New LS3 Camaros and LS7 Corvettes come with rubber motor mounts. Being a street driven, lightly at that, not abused car, rubber will be fine. Priority is ride comfort. Increasing vibrations (motor mounts, and tranny mounts), making the car harsh (adding rod ends, poly, etc), and noisy (aftermarket arms), ruins the "fun to drive factor" for me.

To each their own. I respect your opinion 100%.

I personally like the harshness. I enjoy being able to feel the road. I call this a drivers car. To me a car that just floats and rides extremely smooth is dull. I don't know exactly how to explain it, but I am sure you know what I mean.

Obviously rod ended LCA's and other suspension components affect the ride of your vehicle. When I modify my vehicle, however, I purchase whatever is best for performance. If that means sacrificing some comfort then so be it. Obviously this is in moderation, and everybody has their own level of comfort they are willing to give up for performance. I personally will not take A/C out of my car if it is a daily driver. To me the added benefit of weight savings isn't enough to justify sweating my *** off. Some others, however, are willing to do this among other things.

Again, everybody has their own preference for their vehicle. That's why it is THEIR vehicle. The OP asked if there was any reason to not go back to factory rubber mounts. The short answer is yes, poly will flex much less and will last signifigantly longer. Whether the added vibrations for these benefits, however dismal they may be, is worth it is entirely up to you.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by redlineracing
To each their own. I respect your opinion 100%.

I personally like the harshness. I enjoy being able to feel the road. I call this a drivers car. To me a car that just floats and rides extremely smooth is dull. I don't know exactly how to explain it, but I am sure you know what I mean.

Obviously rod ended LCA's and other suspension components affect the ride of your vehicle. When I modify my vehicle, however, I purchase whatever is best for performance. If that means sacrificing some comfort then so be it. Obviously this is in moderation, and everybody has their own level of comfort they are willing to give up for performance. I personally will not take A/C out of my car if it is a daily driver. To me the added benefit of weight savings isn't enough to justify sweating my *** off. Some others, however, are willing to do this among other things.

Again, everybody has their own preference for their vehicle. That's why it is THEIR vehicle. The OP asked if there was any reason to not go back to factory rubber mounts. The short answer is yes, poly will flex much less and will last signifigantly longer. Whether the added vibrations for these benefits, however dismal they may be, is worth it is entirely up to you.

Now that reply I 100% agree with. In this case it's best to agree to disagree. Some people will prefer oem rubber over poly, and vice versa.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

go with poly mounts and a oem tranny mount. they will vibrate the car a little more but its nothing extreme. when i pulled my motor out im glad i put poly mounts in mine cuz my rubber mounts were SHOT... what would you rather have?

Old 06-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as feeling the power.....I'm gonna have well over 1,000 RWHP....in a 100% street car.....I'll feel plenty.....lol

I'd rather not have any chance of vibration, I like smoothness when just driving around normal, which is 95% of the time. My car since 2002 when my 427ci went in drove as smooth as glass when just cruising. When I got on it....I felt plenty of power and vibration......

Factory rubber mounts for me......they lasted 14+ years......

Old 06-11-2012, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This topic is never black and white, everyone has a different setup and different tastes.
Here the biggest thing though, before anyone else goes on with "there is no vibration" or "there is lots of vibrations", everyone tell us what your engine setup is??? What bushing do you have for the transmission?
A lopey cam is going to make it vibrate A LOT more than a stock cam or mild cam.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS6427
As far as feeling the power.....I'm gonna have well over 1,000 RWHP....in a 100% street car.....I'll feel plenty.....lol
Whhhaaaaaaaat???? And you want the car to be a nice street driveable car? Are you serious?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Whhhaaaaaaaat???? And you want the car to be a nice street driveable car? Are you serious?
Yup....my friend has 800 RWHP and its perfectly tame, my grandmother could drive it.

My friends 1380 RWHP TT Heffner Viper....rides like a dream.

Another guy in town has a 7 second Grand National with an iron LSX 430ci BIG single turbo in it....who knows how much power it has...but he drives it all the time to gatherings and the weekly car show.

So YES.....mine will be very nice and tame when driven normally......I'll let the boost do the work when I want to play.
1,000 RWHP is old man....its been done to death. I'm thinking of doing a 94mm GT55.......that thing is good for 1,400 RWHP.

My first priority...building a SOLID iron 408ci to handle it all. Boost is easy to make. Gotta keep the block together and the heads on.

It'll be on the road soon......just another one of many.....

Last edited by LS6427; 06-15-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your case I would stay with the rubber. Everyones tolerance for these cars is different.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:55 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm going to get a kick out of this. 1k horsepower, either crank or at the wheels, and you're SERIOUSLY considering rubber mounts? Do you have any idea how much abuse you'll be putting on the rubber mounts, both trans and motor? There's sufficient reason why a lot of guys in that category go poly, solid, or even motor plate.

Launch that car a few times. I'll bet anything the rubber trans mount tears, whether you know it or not. Imagine the motor twisting due to it not being sufficiently held in place, thus throwing off your pinion angle and everything else. I'd pay money for you to launch that car, or even a hard shift on the interstate from a roll, with the hood off the car and a GoPro filming the motor.

Dude, you've helped me in the past, especially with the power steering cooler and all, but this completely blows my mind that you'd even CONSIDER rubber ANYTHING for your application.

In the end though, we all have our opinions, and hardly do we all ever agree. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I'm going to get a kick out of this. 1k horsepower, either crank or at the wheels, and you're SERIOUSLY considering rubber mounts? Do you have any idea how much abuse you'll be putting on the rubber mounts, both trans and motor? There's sufficient reason why a lot of guys in that category go poly, solid, or even motor plate.

Launch that car a few times. I'll bet anything the rubber trans mount tears, whether you know it or not. Imagine the motor twisting due to it not being sufficiently held in place, thus throwing off your pinion angle and everything else. I'd pay money for you to launch that car, or even a hard shift on the interstate from a roll, with the hood off the car and a GoPro filming the motor.

Dude, you've helped me in the past, especially with the power steering cooler and all, but this completely blows my mind that you'd even CONSIDER rubber ANYTHING for your application.

In the end though, we all have our opinions, and hardly do we all ever agree. Best of luck to you.
I agree 100% with you. But I had people in my 98 with just a poly trans mount, everything else stock bitching about the vibration. I didnt care, I liked it. But I have a feeling he would rip them out when he got them in
Old 06-16-2012, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

The motor is not going to 'twist' as much as your thinking. It's going to be a turbo motor that will rarely see high boost for 1000whp. He has said it won't be raced very often, but he does want the power at his disposal.

Regardless with 1000whp your doing nothing but spinning from a dig or a roll. The car/motor isn't going to twist as bad as stated. Plenty of people run rubber oem mounts at those levels. Is that the best option? Probably not, but for a car that is a street cruiser for a majority of the time and cares about ride quality rubber mounts will be fine. If he rips them he can upgrade to poly mounts at that point and deal with the little vibration they cause.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Ok *gives pat on the back*
Old 06-16-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

and ya know that rubber and oil is always a Great combination, but given that an A4 is not as bad as a stick he might have a shot. I would not do it but..................Opinions are like ********, everyone has one and most of them stink. lol
Old 06-16-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

"Plenty" of people don't run rubber mounts for 1,000 WHP applications. Whether it is a boost build or not, that is irrelevant.

You're telling me he built a 1,000HP car just to drive like its a cadillac? Sounds like a waste of money to me. Guranteed he will have his foot in the pedal plenty, and the rubber mounts WILL rip. Not a matter of if, but when.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

I had poly in the transmission mount. I just switched it to a rubber AC Delco part and it got rid of some NASTY vibration I had on the highway. I have Strano springs and everything in the drivetrain is rebuilt in the last 3000 miles. I wanted a smooth feeling ride. I'm about to pull the poly motor mounts to get rid of that last little bit of vibration. I don't make much power at all and I was ready to pull my hair out with the vibration. It's different for everyone. You'll have to make that decision for yourself but it just wasn't for me. Maybe when I was 20 years old. Not now! lol

Quick Reply: Any reason to NOT just get new factory motor mounts......