Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Any reason to NOT just get new factory motor mounts......

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Can you explain this to us, I don't think I understand.
Is it just rubber mount and also something tieing down the engine somewhere to the engine bay? Does this just restrict movement?
This is nothing more than a safety measure. If you break a mount with some of these high hp, hard launching cars, it can be catastrophic. To prevent the motor from trying to jump out of the engine bay, it was/is common to see safetly straps such as this. Others actually used a solid bar from the front of the head to the frame on the driver's side. Torque straps.

I sat in the machine shop one day of a very respected Super Stock racer who has won multiple national races. He told me he believed that solid mounts could lead to cylinder distortion...especially with filled blocks. For this reason, he liked to use a rubber mount and a torque strap if you can't use motor plates.

And now for the clincher...for all you old farts out there...go back to around 1968. IIRC...and I think I do...Chevrolet had an issue with their motor mounts in the Camaro. Their fix? EXACTLY what was shown here. A safety cable until new mounts could be designed.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
You're joking right? Because only an idiot or would do something like that.
Well now, think about this for a moment. While very unconventional, I could see some merit with this. If you are concerned about vibrations caused by stiffer mounts, using a factory mount on the right side may help. Remember...that mount is under very little stress compared to the left side. That would be an interesting combination. I wonder if there is a noticeable difference and if there were any issues induced by this.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Bottom line.. use a mount designed for your power level. I VEHEMENTLY vote solids!!!! Will you "feel the car".. YES. Will it vibe... YES. Dude, your car is going to be crazy at that power level. treat it right. Give it what it deserves.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Bottom line.. use a mount designed for your power level. I VEHEMENTLY vote solids!!!! Will you "feel the car".. YES. Will it vibe... YES. Dude, your car is going to be crazy at that power level. treat it right. Give it what it deserves.
I'm doing solids for sure.......

With my iron block I don't have to worry about cylinder distortion as "OldCobraGuy" mentioned. And its cool he mentioned this because I read something about that once.....IIRC the article I read said there's no worries with iron blocks, just aluminum blocks.

Quick Reply: Any reason to NOT just get new factory motor mounts......