Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

hotchkis and general questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hotchkis and general questions

New guy to f body's, last vehicle i did was a 00 s10 and all i needed was leafs spindles coils and blocks. All this trailing arm, sub frame connectors and pan hard bars are new life to me. I know have a 95 z28 camaro, with a t56.

Anyways i was thinking of going for an all hotchkis set up. I was going to do it step by step because it's no cheaper then buying the kit all at once. What order can i get away with changing stuff out in? and which do i have to do at the same time. For example I plan on doing coils and shocks at the same time due to the conveinence. ...(how do you spell that?) lol

And i was also wondering about the pinion angle when going down one inch. I know with my old truck i was out about 6* after a 4 inch drop, it was a night mare ripped through a u-joint and found out my buddy had put my blocks in backwards (i had to go early and he said he'd finish it for me). I didn't even think to check, but is there anything for adjustment for pinion angle or is 1" not enought to even notice.

Shocks i was planning bilstein but their web site made my head hurt. maybe tokico's or possibly if theres something else good? I'm not cheaping out on this car and it's my dd. I'm only 18 too soo it's going to be a part per paycheck. I also need a clutch and little sensors all the annoying stuff..

One more question, would a 2" drop rub? I've got the grey zr1 5 spokes, 9.5" i believe and i think the offsets are 54mm? correct me if i'm wrong. I've got 275/40-17's on there and i want this thing to be amazing at cornering.. I've got 300whp as it is so thats good till i'm done suspension.

I know it's a lot but i'm new to f bodies, lt1's, and cars in general.
I know how to make a carburated v8 s10 corner like an S.O.B. and tear past most street cars. But i'm blind with my new love

thanks guys!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd take a look at UMI and combine our suspension pieces with Stranoparts.com SP141 springs and Koni shocks. The first round would be springs, shocks, and a UMI adjustable Panhard.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...=index&cPath=7

After that you could do subframe connectors. Next check lower control arms. Then a torque arm to adjust pinion angle.

Check us out then hit us with questions.

Ramey
Old 06-18-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

part of the reason these cars have the different suspension parts is, the s-10 had a frame and f-bodies have a unibody. Take UMI's advise. If you want the car to handle very well, look at Strano's web site and see what he has been able to accomplish in these cars. My .02 is get the sub frame connectors first.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 PM

i know they're completely different designs, i'm just used to the old fashioned ways
Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tayhay8
One more question, would a 2" drop rub? I've got the grey zr1 5 spokes, 9.5" i believe and i think the offsets are 54mm? correct me if i'm wrong. I've got 275/40-17's on there and i want this thing to be amazing at cornering.. I've got 300whp as it is so thats good till i'm done suspension.
If you want "amazing cornering" then you don't want a 2" drop, thats too much.
If you want amazing cornering take UMI's advice and look into stranoparts.com (call Sam himself if you want). Here's his multiple national SCCA wining car: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html
Its VERY simple to make these things corner great, but you need the right parts.
These will easily be the biggest difference suspension-wise hands down:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
Will be like driving a completely different car.
Heres a full kit if you want, same thing that Sam used to win:
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=90&ModelID=7
Ridiculously well balanced, gut twisting grip, and good ride quality as well (firm but rarely jarring, think between BMW M3 and C5 Z06)
Old 06-19-2012, 03:38 PM

Those koni's sure look amazing... considering maybe the koni shocks with some hotchkis parts, i'm a strong believer in them, and i know they don't mess around. It's also not cheap
Old 06-19-2012, 05:01 PM

Anybody have some opinions on the edelbrock coil overs?
worth it to do coil overs or go koni's and seperate springs?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Those koni's sure look amazing... considering maybe the koni shocks with some hotchkis parts, i'm a strong believer in them, and i know they don't mess around. It's also not cheap
I have Hotchkis front lowering springs and have never enjoyed a spring more! The progressive rate makes it tough to install on the strut, but it's worth it. Everyone says Strano/UMI/BMR... don't get me wrong, they make good stuff and I own plenty of it. But the Hotchkis springs I have on my DD 383 are my favorite springs by FAR!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hotchkis is not bad at all, its just there are other parts (I posted) that are truly proven with our cars.

Anybody have some opinions on the edelbrock coil overs?
worth it to do coil overs or go koni's and seperate springs?
Supposedly comparable to bilstiens. While the height is adjustable the shocks are not, For handling your better off going with konis IMO.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love my Hotchkis/Koni setup.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Grifter
I love my Hotchkis/Koni setup.
Same here.

Quick Reply: hotchkis and general questions