Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP Bilsteins and BMR Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrob56
I agree love the look, but how do those not rub? Ive always had stock suspension on all my cars though. So are springs stiff enough to keep it from rubbing?
They do rub on the street a little bit, but nothing worse than 315s did. I actually did not have any issues when it was only me in the car.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sweet-94z28
They do rub on the street a little bit, but nothing worse than 315s did. I actually did not have any issues when it was only me in the car.
Thats my concern Im wanting to do a 315 in the rear for street duty, track wont be an issue. For track a good drag radial on stock 16s will hook fine on my setup.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrob56
Thats my concern Im wanting to do a 315 in the rear for street duty, track wont be an issue. For track a good drag radial on stock 16s will hook fine on my setup.
Just get your fender rolled. Only reason I havent is because this car is somewhat rare. I really don't want to do anything that cannot be reversed. Only thing I did do was clearance the inner fender a little in the rear where the 315 will rub all the time if you don't give her a little BFH work. I actually just run 17x9 stock SS wheels on the street and 99% of the time. IMO, difference between 275 and 315 is pretty negligible. If you add 5-10 pounds of wheel and tire, you're not really gaining anything over an aluminum wheel with a 275 tire. Unsprung rotating weight KILLS a car.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sweet-94z28
Just get your fender rolled. Only reason I havent is because this car is somewhat rare. I really don't want to do anything that cannot be reversed. Only thing I did do was clearance the inner fender a little in the rear where the 315 will rub all the time if you don't give her a little BFH work. I actually just run 17x9 stock SS wheels on the street and 99% of the time. IMO, difference between 275 and 315 is pretty negligible. If you add 5-10 pounds of wheel and tire, you're not really gaining anything over an aluminum wheel with a 275 tire. Unsprung rotating weight KILLS a car.
Got ya, I had them on my old Z but on stock suspension. It definitely slows it down, just looks sick! I might end up on a 275 all around then, thanks for the reply.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 AM

I went from stock Decarbons stock springs to Bilsteins and BMR springs, definitely LOVE the look, that's mainly what I did it for. In terms of performance, it's not a huge improvement but definitely a little flatter in corners, ride quality is decent. They do the job for sure. The Decarbons were more comfortable, but obviously with stock height springs they're going to be. With the bilsten/bmr combo the marginal loss in ride comfort is well worth the improved handling and 1000x better looks.

Oh and BTW, the BMR springs take a good amount of time to settle in to proper ride height. My car sat a bit high for a while, I was starting to get dissapointed thinking they didn't drop it nearly as low as I hoped, but after a few weeks it's sitting right about where I want it at.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ifitaintbroke
I went from stock Decarbons stock springs to Bilsteins and BMR springs, definitely LOVE the look, that's mainly what I did it for. In terms of performance, it's not a huge improvement but definitely a little flatter in corners, ride quality is decent. They do the job for sure. The Decarbons were more comfortable, but obviously with stock height springs they're going to be. With the bilsten/bmr combo the marginal loss in ride comfort is well worth the improved handling and 1000x better looks.

Oh and BTW, the BMR springs take a good amount of time to settle in to proper ride height. My car sat a bit high for a while, I was starting to get dissapointed thinking they didn't drop it nearly as low as I hoped, but after a few weeks it's sitting right about where I want it at.
IMO, I would definitely say you need the SLP valved Bilsteins with BMR springs. I'm not 100% sure which ones you have, but my friend's car has the Bilstein HD shocks with BMR springs, and it does not ride/handle near what mine is. We both have UMI's sway bar setup on our cars as well. Everything is pretty much the same other than the shocks themselves. I know the HD shocks are more for stock ride height and the SLP valved is set up for the 1/2"-1" drop Eibach springs. Valving in shocks is key. I know the BMR is a little lower and they are stiffer than the SLP Eibach spring, but the match was much closer than it was with standard HD shocks. Either way you can't go wrong with the killer look!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Regular

Just thought if add my 2cents.
After going from 'good' factory replacements to Bmr springs and slp bilsteins the ride is night a day.

It's rougher then before but I can actually feel the road now! Much more planted on the ground. Very good quality from what I could tell.

I also did control arms with relo brackets and a tunnel mounted TA at the same time. Car used to feel unstable when letting off the throttle at 100mph now it's straight as an arrow!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:42 AM
Staging Lane

I have the BMR/Bilsteins setup on mine due to this thread, and I love the ride. Performance and stance compared to the 26k mile stock setup I had before is night and day. The car not only looks more agressive but it handles much better and as someone above said you can feel the road.

I did the front BMR springs and the heater hose mod in the rear with SLP/Bilsteins on all four corners.

I actually ordered a second set of BMR springs this week so I can switch out the Eibach Sportlines on the stagecoach riding 97'.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by echos67
I have the BMR/Bilsteins setup on mine due to this thread, and I love the ride. Performance and stance compared to the 26k mile stock setup I had before is night and day. The car not only looks more agressive but it handles much better and as someone above said you can feel the road.

I did the front BMR springs and the heater hose mod in the rear with SLP/Bilsteins on all four corners.

I actually ordered a second set of BMR springs this week so I can switch out the Eibach Sportlines on the stagecoach riding 97'.
If you can post up some pictures of the stance of the car it would be greatly appreciated.

I always lie to get as many pictures as I can for our lowering spring picture database.

Kyle

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
If you can post up some pictures of the stance of the car it would be greatly appreciated.

I always lie to get as many pictures as I can for our lowering spring picture database.

Kyle
I sure will, one of these evenings when I take time to figure the picture posting thing out .

Thanks for the great service and products.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

im getting the itch from this thread! BMR springs, blistien shocks, BMR Front/rear sway, and BMR upper/lower A arms being installed as we speak. already have the BMR LCA/Panhard on the car. cant freakin wait! wed i shall take the beast to get aligned, any alignment specs i should look for?
Old 08-18-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Kyle, I installed my koni's/bmr's this weekend and they look great. Is it common for the drivers side to be slightly higher than the passengers side? I measured from the ground to the top of the fender and it is higher on the drivers side by about 1/8th inch. Wasn't sure if this was common.

Don't mean to thread hijack.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dabest09
Hey Kyle, I installed my koni's/bmr's this weekend and they look great. Is it common for the drivers side to be slightly higher than the passengers side? I measured from the ground to the top of the fender and it is higher on the drivers side by about 1/8th inch. Wasn't sure if this was common.

Don't mean to thread hijack.
Did you roll the car back and forth at all? Also, depending on mods or if the car has been wrecked or anything, the car could be a fuzz tweaked. I'm not saying it is, but its a possibility.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

What do you mean roll it back and forth? I've driven it for the past week hoping it would settle.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread, this direct comparison/opinions of users that have actually experienced first hand is what this board needs more of instead of the bandwagon people that have only experienced one side of the coin.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread

Quick Reply: SLP Bilsteins and BMR Springs