Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

How to replace brake shoes on E-brake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace brake shoes on E-brake?

How does one do this on a 01 Z28??

Is it a huge pain in the ***, or in the same ball park as adjusting the e-brake?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 PM
9 Second Club

Super easy to replace. I take it you never replaced the rear rotors?
Remove wheel, caliper and rotor. Back off the adjuster and take the pad off. Reverse to put back on.

Here's a video of truck but it's almost exactly the same thing.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chasgiv3
Super easy to replace. I take it you never replaced the rear rotors?
Remove wheel, caliper and rotor. Back off the adjuster and take the pad off. Reverse to put back on.

Here's a video of truck but it's almost exactly the same thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT-PxtlaX6E
Damn that was helpful, Thank you!!

So it is the same process for F-bods as well huh? Any differences I need to know really?

I wish there was a video like this to adjust the e-brake as well lol
Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 PM
9 Second Club

Ok I took pictures of my LS1 backing plates and the removed ebrake pad so you can see it. Only thing to remember is that it clips on to backing plate at the middle of the closed end of the pad. Not much more I can tell ya.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 PM
9 Second Club

Oh I forgot to put the adjuster back in so you could see that. No more than a screw that ratchets bigger and bigger to expand. It does this automatically with repeated use of the ebrake. The adjuster fits within the silver metal tube at the top of the picture of the backing plate.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 PM
9 Second Club

Process is so close to the fbody from that vid that I can't see any issues with following it. The clips that hold the pad are different however. Fbod's have just the one.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Is it a huge pain in the ***, or in the same ball park as adjusting the e-brake?
Its in the same ball park as adjusting the e-brake, but there is one huge pain in the ***, which chasgiv3 alludes to - but is not in the video.

You can't just pry the shoe out with a screwdriver. We have a clip screwed to the backing plate that holds the shoe down. Getting that clip out is the only hard part.

If you are lucky, you'll have a hex head screw holding the clip down and can get it out with a ratchet. If you are unlucky, (like me) and you have a Phillips screw holding the clip - you may need to get a special L-shaped screw driver to get the thing out.

Tow other pitfalls and things go deal with:
- Your rubber boots on the back of the actuator are probably torn to hell and letting in dirt. While you have everything apart, I'd suggest cleaning all the parts, changing the boots, and re-assembling everything with brake lube. You can get new boots from RMS Auto. (They are the only place that I know of who carries them.)
- Your adjuster star wheel may be rusted/seized. If so, you'll want to free it up and re-lube the threads with brake grease. Dealing with this can be a pain.

You should also do one side at a time in case you need to refer to the other side to put things back together!

BTW - You'd really have to do some wild stuff (like drifting) to wear these pads out. Do you really need to change your brakes or are you just asking?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Get the boots replaced if you already have the shoes out. I always replace all the hardware. It's too cheap not too.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I took pictures of my LS1 backing plates and the removed ebrake pad so you can see it. Only thing to remember is that it clips on to backing plate at the middle of the closed end of the pad. Not much more I can tell ya.

Originally Posted by wssix99
Its in the same ball park as adjusting the e-brake, but there is one huge pain in the ***, which chasgiv3 alludes to - but is not in the video.

You can't just pry the shoe out with a screwdriver. We have a clip screwed to the backing plate that holds the shoe down. Getting that clip out is the only hard part.

If you are lucky, you'll have a hex head screw holding the clip down and can get it out with a ratchet. If you are unlucky, (like me) and you have a Phillips screw holding the clip - you may need to get a special L-shaped screw driver to get the thing out.

Tow other pitfalls and things go deal with:
- Your rubber boots on the back of the actuator are probably torn to hell and letting in dirt. While you have everything apart, I'd suggest cleaning all the parts, changing the boots, and re-assembling everything with brake lube. You can get new boots from RMS Auto. (They are the only place that I know of who carries them.)
- Your adjuster star wheel may be rusted/seized. If so, you'll want to free it up and re-lube the threads with brake grease. Dealing with this can be a pain.

You should also do one side at a time in case you need to refer to the other side to put things back together!

BTW - You'd really have to do some wild stuff (like drifting) to wear these pads out. Do you really need to change your brakes or are you just asking?
Originally Posted by mezzyshreder
Get the boots replaced if you already have the shoes out. I always replace all the hardware. It's too cheap not too.
Thank you so much guys. I could not ask for more help. You all are the best!

Yeah I think I am just going to replace the shoes because I have been on this two year search to solve this dreaded rubbing sound. (other thread)
Old 06-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Save the manuals!

Thank you so much guys. I could not ask for more help. You all are the best!

Yeah I think I am just going to replace the shoes because I have been on this two year search to solve this dreaded rubbing sound. (other thread)
Its not the source of the rubbing sound. When you look at how much a new shoe costs, I think you won't be so motivated!

Why not just take the shoe out and drive it to prove that its not your parking brake? You can then put it back together after you confirm that and save the $100-200.

BTW - If you do this ^^ you'll want to be careful to get all the parts out of the mechanism because the pad holds them in place. In particular, there is a small rod behind the star wheel that you don't want to loose! All the parts are shown in the diagram attached to this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ake-parts.html
Old 06-28-2012, 06:44 PM
9 Second Club

82.99 for a pair of brake shoes for the emergency brake. I spend a lot of money to make my car run like a **** so maybe I shouldn't say this but...it's a small price to pay for making sure you have a good functioning brake system in general. I go to a cubs game and spend 50 for parking, 50 for beers at the stadium and about 50 for food after the game. Chump change in my opinion.

The Mark Williams brake system I just put on the car costs about 2K. Not really worried about 83 bucks. HOWEVER if you only have 19K on the pads like I do then I don't think that's your problem. So like my cost conscious Chicago fellow native I say take it all apart and make sure you visualize how it all works and fits together. See what's wrong and moving around as best as you can first.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Save the manuals!

82.99 for a pair of brake shoes for the emergency brake. I spend a lot of money to make my car run like a **** so maybe I shouldn't say this but...it's a small price to pay for making sure you have a good functioning brake system in general.
I'm all for not skimping on the brakes, hubs, or any unsprung equipment on the car as its a single point of failure between the driver and disaster. But on the parking brake - it should be as good as it was the car was delivered from the factory. The material looks thin because that's the way it was originally. Since the car doesn't move with the parking brake on, it doesn't wear away or change at all.

50 for beers at the stadium
Better to invest that money at Goose Island before and after the game. Much better beer!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its not the source of the rubbing sound. When you look at how much a new shoe costs, I think you won't be so motivated!

Why not just take the shoe out and drive it to prove that its not your parking brake? You can then put it back together after you confirm that and save the $100-200.

BTW - If you do this ^^ you'll want to be careful to get all the parts out of the mechanism because the pad holds them in place. In particular, there is a small rod behind the star wheel that you don't want to loose! All the parts are shown in the diagram attached to this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ake-parts.html
I see, So I can still drive the car with the parking brake boot off?

This is probably exactly what I will do to see if this sound goes away

82.99 for a pair of brake shoes for the emergency brake. I spend a lot of money to make my car run like a **** so maybe I shouldn't say this but...it's a small price to pay for making sure you have a good functioning brake system in general. I go to a cubs game and spend 50 for parking, 50 for beers at the stadium and about 50 for food after the game. Chump change in my opinion.

The Mark Williams brake system I just put on the car costs about 2K. Not really worried about 83 bucks. HOWEVER if you only have 19K on the pads like I do then I don't think that's your problem. So like my cost conscious Chicago fellow native I say take it all apart and make sure you visualize how it all works and fits together. See what's wrong and moving around as best as you can first.
Yeah I totally feel you haha I will def report back when I do this project

I'm all for not skimping on the brakes, hubs, or any unsprung equipment on the car as its a single point of failure between the driver and disaster. But on the parking brake - it should be as good as it was the car was delivered from the factory. The material looks thin because that's the way it was originally. Since the car doesn't move with the parking brake on, it doesn't wear away or change at all.

Better to invest that money at Goose Island before and after the game. Much better beer!
^^312 all day!! However, Three Floyds is where its at
Old 07-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Save the manuals!

I see, So I can still drive the car with the parking brake boot off?
I was suggesting to leave the actuator lever and boot on, but take out all the other parts. But....

You know what would be just as good? Just put the car in neutral and rotate the hub by hand with the parking brake on. If you can't feel any resistance, that should also be an indication that nothing is rubbing.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was suggesting to leave the actuator lever and boot on, but take out all the other parts. But....

You know what would be just as good? Just put the car in neutral and rotate the hub by hand with the parking brake on. If you can't feel any resistance, that should also be an indication that nothing is rubbing.
Oh gotcha, But if the parking brake is on with the car in neutral, I shouldnt be able to turn the rear hub right?

When I turn the rear hub with the brake off the rubbing sound is heard, I just cannot figure out where its coming from. I believe I will be taking this project on this weekend after the 4th
Old 07-02-2012, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

82.99 for a pair of brake shoes for the emergency brake. I spend a lot of money to make my car run like a **** so maybe I shouldn't say this but...it's a small price to pay for making sure you have a good functioning brake system in general.

I couldn't agree more, chasgiv3
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Save the manuals!

Oh gotcha, But if the parking brake is on with the car in neutral, I shouldnt be able to turn the rear hub right?

When I turn the rear hub with the brake off the rubbing sound is heard, I just cannot figure out where its coming from. I believe I will be taking this project on this weekend after the 4th
Sorry. I meant the parking brake OFF. Doah!

BTW - For those who want extra insurance on the parking brakes:
The shoes aren't really the key piece of the mechanism. As I pointed out, they don't see any physical wear at all. If one really wants a reliable brake, all that is needed it a good cleaning and re-lube. Once that's done, a replacement set of lever boots will keep the whole thing clean for another 5-10 years.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry. I meant the parking brake OFF. Doah!

BTW - For those who want extra insurance on the parking brakes:
The shoes aren't really the key piece of the mechanism. As I pointed out, they don't see any physical wear at all. If one really wants a reliable brake, all that is needed it a good cleaning and re-lube. Once that's done, a replacement set of lever boots will keep the whole thing clean for another 5-10 years.
You wouldn't happen to have a part number for that boot would you?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Save the manuals!

There is no part number. The only source of supply I am aware of is RMS Auto Parts.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Teching In

On <competitive non-sponsor name removed> website:

2002 CHEVROLET CAMARO 5.7L V8 : Brake/Wheel Hub : Parking Brake Hardware Kit $157.79

ACDELCO Part # 1792105 Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 12454994

This has the shoes, all the hardware and the boots. plus a good pic

I have a torn boot on driver's side, but the parking brake is working OK. Kind of hurts to pay that much and do that much work for a boot, but I am replacing rear rotors, shoes and brake hoses so everything is open

Last edited by wssix99; 12-18-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply: How to replace brake shoes on E-brake?