Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Springy after new springs/shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Springy after new springs/shocks

Hey everyone!

I just recently put on some Eibach Sportlines and Tokiko shocks.

I noticed that the rear seems to be really springy.. going over a small dip/bump in the road causes the rear to jump up ...
The front isn't nearly as bad, and when we did the front we did a quick test run and it was perfect.

I got these springs/shocks from a friend of mine and they only had about 800 miles on them.

My car still has the factory bump stops, (seeing this came up in a lot of google searches), I'll take em off tomorrow to see how it feels... but I'm not so sure this could be the work of the bump stops...

Anyways, the only other suspension mod I have is UMI lower control arms (non adj.), and I'll be getting an alignment with new bushings this week too.

Thoughts? :/
Old 07-16-2012, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was also gonna mention, the guy I bought them from said when he had them on his 99 it was impossible to make the springs jump.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone at all? :/
Old 07-16-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a good setup... Sportlines are a terrible spring (way too low, way too soft). Those shocks also leave a lot to be desired. I would not recommend taking off your bumpstops either.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think Tokico blues can handle lowering springs that well, and it's possible that being so low, the damping in that range of motion could be quite different from the stock range of motion.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What would you guys recommend?
Possibly keep the tokikos and get a different spring, or keep the sportlines and get another shock?

The combo was pretty cheap and I don't mind buying a set of new springs or shocks.
I could probably sell the ones I don't keep on here.

I went outside and looked under the tire and it looked like it was extremely close to the bump stop..
Old 07-17-2012, 03:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it turns out they were sitting extremely close to my Bump stops. I took off my bump stops and drove around the neighborhood and immediately noticed an improvement..

I might just cut the bump stops.

Trending Topics

Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Removing the bump stops has its pros and its cons. You gain more suspension travel and more spring movement especially with the extremely low sportline ride height and the low spring rate. The cons are without the bumpstops there, you introduce the possibility of bottoming out on something else. Contact on the bumpstops is fairly normal and part of the suspensions functionality.

The sportlines might be better had they been designed with a higher springrate. The problem with them is they are so darn low, and yet still have a lower springrate than the Prokits which sit higher.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Removing the bump stops has its pros and its cons. You gain more suspension travel and more spring movement especially with the extremely low sportline ride height and the low spring rate. The cons are without the bumpstops there, you introduce the possibility of bottoming out on something else. Contact on the bumpstops is fairly normal and part of the suspensions functionality.

The sportlines might be better had they been designed with a higher springrate. The problem with them is they are so darn low, and yet still have a lower springrate than the Prokits which sit higher.
Thanks z28bryan, would you have any recommendations for new springs? I don't care so much as to riding low, I just want a comfier ride thats a lot more solid.

The combo of Tokiko and Sportlines is really bouncy and a little too low for me... Could I keep the tokikos and go with a better spring? Any recommendations?
Old 07-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Launching!

I had tokiko blues on mine with vogtland springs the blew out a week later i think the shocks couldnt keep up
Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

If you want my personal opinion, I would be skeptical about running Tokico blues with any lowering springs. Not that I have experience with them.. but after doing my homework I've drawn the conclusion that I would personally only go with Konis for any lowering springs. I don't know how anyone can say they ride bad when you can adjust their rebound pretty low, while the compression setting isn't that high in the first place. I believe these people have something else wrong in their overall car setup/combination. I have them with stranos on my car and think they ride fine.. MUCH better than lots of cars I've been in stock. But then again ride quality is subjective, and I prefer a BMW firm but not jarring type ride quality. I want my car to feel like a well designed sports car. If this is also what you want to get out of the car, then you probably want a strano/koni setup too

I also hear Bilstiens are decent with lowering springs at first, but soon after that can eventually wear down and lose their damping ability.

Take all opinions with a grain of salt including mine when it comes to ride quality. I've ridden on stock/stock.. stock/koni, and strano/koni setups on my camaro.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by astro11271984
I had tokiko blues on mine with vogtland springs the blew out a week later i think the shocks couldnt keep up
Ah yeah, how much of a drop was on your vogtlands?

Originally Posted by z28bryan
If you want my personal opinion, I would be skeptical about running Tokico blues with any lowering springs. Not that I have experience with them.. but after doing my homework I've drawn the conclusion that I would personally only go with Konis for any lowering springs. I don't know how anyone can say they ride bad when you can adjust their rebound pretty low, while the compression setting isn't that high in the first place. I believe these people have something else wrong in their overall car setup/combination. I have them with stranos on my car and think they ride fine.. MUCH better than lots of cars I've been in stock. But then again ride quality is subjective, and I prefer a BMW firm but not jarring type ride quality. I want my car to feel like a well designed sports car. If this is also what you want to get out of the car, then you probably want a strano/koni setup too

I also hear Bilstiens are decent with lowering springs at first, but soon after that can eventually wear down and lose their damping ability.

Take all opinions with a grain of salt including mine when it comes to ride quality. I've ridden on stock/stock.. stock/koni, and strano/koni setups on my camaro.
I appreciate the detailed response, I'm thinking I'll ride these Tokicos for the rest of the year then once it starts to snow I'll buy some konis and use them alongside some BMR springs for 2013.

(I'm in utah so it starts snowing in late October-early November)

I'll probably throw some BMR springs on next month and sell the sportlines for EXTREMELY cheap
Old 07-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=777Shock777;16528163]Ah yeah, how much of a drop was on your vogtlands?
1.2 -1.5 inch drop

Quick Reply: Springy after new springs/shocks