Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Was Firestone BSing me?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Was Firestone BSing me?

I went to get my alignment done today since I just lowered my car. After they had it up in the air the manager said that they couldn't do it because it required a special tool. So all they did was the correct the toe a little bit.

BUT... after the guy saw that I wasn't happy... he told me he wasn't going to charge me anything. So that was nice of him

So is the "special tool" bullcrap? Or is there something that I've never heard of before...

Here is what the paper said that he gave me...

Front Left:
Camber before:-0.3 After:Same
Caster before: 5.0 After: Same
Toe before:-0.03 After: 0.00

Front Right:
Camber before:-.7 After: Same
Caster before:6.3 After: Same
Toe before:-.06 After -0.02

Also the rear toe is weird...
Left: 0.12 Right -0.06
Old 07-21-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I went to Firestone once.................................
Old 07-21-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have aftermarket k-member and/or front control arms?

If not, then there is no reason that they couldn't take care of you.

If so, some places will not touch an aftermarket setup, for whatever reason.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

No I don't. I just got the new shocks/springs... everything else is stock (for my front suspension haha)
Old 07-21-2012, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
I went to Firestone once.................................
lol, never been there, never will go there. they are just not competent. there is no reason they could not get it with in spec
Old 07-21-2012, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

The manager at the firestone here encouraged me to get aftermarket suspension components (i had something bent), because then he could dial in exactly what i wanted instead of just moving things within "spec".
Old 07-21-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i mean it's really gonna depend on who works where... some guys are smarter than others.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

I honestly wasn't sure if he was right. But I was like 85 percent confident that you didn't need some kind of tool. So while he was on the computer I said that I've never read any of you guys talk about the special tool. Then he said that "well then they must have no idea what they are talking about" I was kinda buzzed and I snapped back with a "ummmm yes they do!" haha because that kind of offended me! He's like "my guys in there are smart and ASE certified" bla bla bla...

I don't see any reason for him NOT to do my car...and since he didn't make me pay... maybe he just didn't know???
Old 07-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Teching In

If it is an 4th gen body we are talking about they do require a special tool for proper camber adjustment. If he was so incompetent he would've charged for the work performed.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmasse
If it is an 4th gen body we are talking about they do require a special tool for proper camber adjustment. If he was so incompetent he would've charged for the work performed.
So I looked in my GM manual and t references a tool for seting Front Caster Camber, Adjusting Tool J 38658 is what they call it.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Teching In

http://www.tooltopia.com/otc-tools-7...aign=nextag_r1
Old 07-21-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

yup that's it. lol
Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I took my stingray vette with all aftermarket a arms there once to get aligned, but everything still aligned like factory i was told they couldnt quit get mine right either, I honestly think it was worse after it came out than going in I would never take it there for a alignment again, simply because all my bushings arms and everything was brand new but they claimed they coudlnt get it aligned
Old 07-22-2012, 01:14 AM
11 Second Club

"So is the "special tool" bullcrap? "

There is a ""special tool" made, but "who" needs it, I retaired in '07 after 30 years aligning autos( front/rear/sideways I never say a need for this tool, I only used screw driver/pry bar ( tried the tool once and the pry bar works faster for me)

"Here is what the paper said that he gave me..."

Front Left:
Camber before:-0.3 After:Same
Caster before: 5.0 After: Same
Toe before:-0.03 After: 0.00

Front Right:
Camber before:-.7 After: Same
Caster before:6.3 After: Same
Toe before:-.06 After -0.02

Also the rear toe is weird...
Left: 0.12 Right -0.06

OK.. camber is ok -----I like a little postive
caster has a little muck differance side to side...I like only about 0.50 more on right not the 1.3 you have --this may cause pull to lefr which would put you into a head on kiss

I like a lttle postive toe ( which you had before the tech begain )
now you are a little neg on toe, not a bigge, may allow a little road wander and a small amount of wear on inside of tires
rear toe a'nt bad .... Rear Thrust Line be a little postive..
I pull very stright with about the same
BUT auto are about like the ladies, most have their likes/dislikes
Just my 0.02s Johnny

Last edited by SS SLP2; 07-22-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I started doing my own alignments and tried using a pry bar, but it turned out (for me) to be a pita to use. I found it to be hard to hold and tighten the control arm and get it anywhere near the camber degree I wanted. I bought 'the tool' and found it to be easier to use. The alignment tool will keep the control arm still without having to tighten the bolt so I can get out from under the car and check my camber/caster 'gauge'. If it's not at the degree I want, I can crawl back under the car, crank the alignment tool in or out, then get out and check it again. But I'm not ASE 'certified' so what do I know...lol!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So his tech did not have the tool needed to complete the job properly for whatever reason, didn't want to pry on your car with a big *** pry bar, adjusted your toe and sent you on the way without you having to pay and your complaining about that... WOW Firestone sucks dick!
Old 07-22-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
So his tech did not have the tool needed to complete the job properly for whatever reason, didn't want to pry on your car with a big *** pry bar, adjusted your toe and sent you on the way without you having to pay and your complaining about that... WOW Firestone sucks dick!
Well..............uh.......alignment is their business. If you came to my place of business and asked for a product or even just a Service I would KNOW Immediately if I could help you. But....I am a GOOD business man. Think it over, I think they border on incompetent. After all if you have a business it's YOUR JOB to know.

or

Maybe they knew and tried to squeez by well knowing they could not do the job. In that case yes they do suck.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know, any shop that advertises alignments for service, I would expect would have, or acquire the tools necessary to do the job!
Old 07-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
Ok when I asked him over the phone if he could do an alignment on my car... and he asked what kind of car I had and I told him... he should have known that he couldn't do it and not wasted my time. Also I said in my original post that it was nice of them to not charge me (after he saw I was way less than pleased when I read the paper) ALSO... like the other guy said... if alignment is their business then they should have all the tools!

What if you went to get a cam installed at a place that does cam installs... and they take off your valve covers and say "sorry can't do it... we don't have a spring compressor" Same concept...
Old 07-22-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Don't worry chewy....your in the right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Was Firestone BSing me?