Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension overkill?? Need advise!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Smile Suspension overkill?? Need advise!

Hey everyone, so at the end of the month I will be receiving my quarterly bonus (~ $900-$1100) and would like to use that money to upgrade my suspension. The car is a semi DD... I basically drive it to and from the train station 5 miles away and to car shows on the weekends. After doing all the research my brain can handle I think I have come to a decision on parts.

So this is where you guys come in. Do you think this is overkill for a bolt-on DD? (head/cam most likely next year) I'm looking for a car that can handle corners better as well as have great traction/straight launches.

- Bilstein HD/ Strano combo
- UMI On-car adj panhard
- UMI non adj tubular LCA
- UMI Relocation Brackets (bolt on)
- UMI Full length TA
- UMI 2 point Tubular SFC

Thanks so much in advance guys!!
Old 09-06-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for handling, nothings better than lowering springs/shocks and sway bars.

I have the BMR handling level 2 package. LOVE IT
Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blackjack325
for handling, nothings better than lowering springs/shocks and sway bars.

I have the BMR handling level 2 package. LOVE IT
I would like to upgrade my sway bars too but between the list above and painting/installing my CME, I don't think I can swing it. If upgraded the bushings and end links on the stock bars, would that help in any way??
Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

see if you can buy it as a pkg from some body.check the ws6 store also.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Overkill? Maybe... Will you LOVE it? Definitely! Check my sig, you'll see I don't have a torque arm, got 3 point instead of 2 point SFC's, and the shocks are different. But pretty much what you're goin for, the car is very capable now, and a joy to drive. I would HIGHLY recommend sway bars though. In stock form I felt the car leaned way to much, and with out getting sway bars it may feel fine with everything you've got planned, but i wouldn't know cause I did it all at once.

I say go for it.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing wrong with a little overkill .

Can't go wrong with Sam and UMI.....
Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO get the adjustable LCA's. They aren't much more than the non-adj and I'd rather have that option and not have to need it than not be able to at all.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camarokid327
Hey everyone, so at the end of the month I will be receiving my quarterly bonus (~ $900-$1100) and would like to use that money to upgrade my suspension. The car is a semi DD... I basically drive it to and from the train station 5 miles away and to car shows on the weekends. After doing all the research my brain can handle I think I have come to a decision on parts.

So this is where you guys come in. Do you think this is overkill for a bolt-on DD? (head/cam most likely next year) I'm looking for a car that can handle corners better as well as have great traction/straight launches.

- Bilstein HD/ Strano combo
- UMI On-car adj panhard
- UMI non adj tubular LCA
- UMI Relocation Brackets (bolt on)
- UMI Full length TA
- UMI 2 point Tubular SFC

Thanks so much in advance guys!!
My car is a DD and I have everything listed there minus the TA. Handles pretty well, rides fairly smooth for a lowered car too (lowered on stranos). Maybe look into adjustable LCAs if you think you'll need them, its always nice to have adjustable. Mine aren't though. My pan hard is adjustable, I'd def recommend getting an adjustable one especially if you plan to lower it.

Edit: I also have a panhard relocation, but that doesn't really change ride too much AFAIK
Old 09-08-2012, 08:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for including UMI in your list. The nice thing about sways, is you can install them whenever. Your existing list looks pretty good.

Another option would be to substitute sways instead of the torque arm (or at least do the relocation first) then get the torque arm later.

Give us a call and we can help you choose. Or work with us in here.

Thanks

Ramey
Old 09-09-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is some Advise....It's a DD go back to stock and stop wasting your money.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Nothing wrong with a little overkill .

Can't go wrong with Sam and UMI.....
Wrong word to use around you I've been following your build and man does that thing look badass! I to your car!!

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Thanks for including UMI in your list. The nice thing about sways, is you can install them whenever. Your existing list looks pretty good.

Another option would be to substitute sways instead of the torque arm (or at least do the relocation first) then get the torque arm later.

Give us a call and we can help you choose. Or work with us in here.

Thanks

Ramey
Looks like I will be getting the sway bars too!

Originally Posted by LS1121
As stated before, its only driven <5 mile to and from the train on the weekdays and a show or two on the weekend......< 2K miles a year and not driven after Sept or before April.....not your typical DD. (semi DD)

Well I just picked up another freelance logo design job on the side ($400) so it looks like I will be able to add the sway bars to my grocery list of parts! Can't wait to get this project started!

btw...if you know anyone who is looking for graphic design work or a logo design, shoot me a PM! I can send you a link to my portfolio!

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just because my car is a DD now doesn't mean it will be forever. Even if it were, I don't see anything wrong with wanting it to be better...
Old 09-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bill12690
Just because my car is a DD now doesn't mean it will be forever. Even if it were, I don't see anything wrong with wanting it to be better...
AMEN!!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

That would be good advice if the OP was over 60 driving a Yugo (no offense to any Yugo owners ).

He's driving a Camaro SS. It begs to be upgraded!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

I agree. Since I started doing racing events, now I'm more careful about buying stuff that doesn't help me for certain applications. For example, recently I bought rod ended LCAs and relo brackets so that I can keep the axle roll steer to a minimum, preventing my decoupled tq arm from hitting the side of the safety loop. The LCAs were to eliminate any bushing give that rubber provided.

If my car were a daily driver that I wanted to drive spiritedly on? Absolutely stock tq arm, LCAs, no relo brackets. I'll take all the rubber sound damping I can get.. plus I raced on stock LCAs for years with the rubber star bushings and they work fine. Those things are solid as hell! In this department I really don't understand why most people need to change rear LCAs. Relo brackets if I had wheel hop maybe, and short tq arm if I wanted a better launch at stock power, but what's the point in changing the structure of the LCA's? It eliminates a little give but what else is it doing for you?

Maybe an adjustable PHB if I had clearance problems.. good shocks, stock springs.

10+ years ago I was more interested in a cool long modification list. I guess I'm getting old, lol
Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

I agree with basically what everyone else said. You will love the car after suspension. I would wait on the TA until you do shocks springs and sway bars. Give Sam Strano a call. He will answer any questions you have.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

There's no question that some pieces change the whole car into a new animal. It's just that other parts I don't think people know what it is they are actually doing to help.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28bryan
There's no question that some pieces change the whole car into a new animal. It's just that other parts I don't think people know what it is they are actually doing to help.
I agree with you almost 100%. I think a lot of people think certain things are going to help a lot more then they actually do. Then, when they change them, and don't really feel a difference, they most likely just will themselves into thinking it made a difference.

Yes, certain items will change the car drastically. Like shocks, springs and sway bars, but on the other hand some things really don't, IE LCAs and a PHR.

Pretty much the same thing about 7-8 years ago when everyone thought they needed a STB on a 4th gen car. Every suspension builder had their own, now I'd like to see how many they sell. People that bought them said it made a huge change...but I'd be willing to bet 90% of it was in their head.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

LCA's made a drastic difference on my car..
Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redlineracing
LCA's made a drastic difference on my car..
It's not that I don't believe you, but I think using the word drastic is a bit overkill.

Do you have any numbers to prove your opinion?

Quick Reply: Suspension overkill?? Need advise!