Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SLP/Bilstein ride comfort

Old 09-11-2012, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP/Bilstein ride comfort

Hi guys. I am looking for opinions on slp/bilstein combo as far as ride comfort goes. Before everyone jumps on the "BUY STRANO/KONI" rant, I already have the strano/koni setup on my WS6. My wife has stock springs and konis. My dd however is pretty terrible. I bought it with eibach prokit and stock decarbons @ 106k miles. The slp/bilstein combo seems to be the closest to stock new kit that I can get. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, so the price is nice. The car will never be tracked and is solely a DD. I just need something comfortable since 75% of my driving is done on horrible secondary South Carolina roads.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ive had the kit for 5-6 yrs only out about 5k miles. The ride comfort is great. The springs are not like Stranos that eliminate the nose dive when braking and the pitch when turning. It's a setup that would b good for a DD.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:21 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I have Bilstein's on my dd WS6, with my original stock springs and really like them. I wouldn't call them or the stock shocks a "great ride." Its not like a Lexus, but the Bilsteins are pretty close to my stock WS6 package. They are still pretty aggressive and sporty - like the stock ones. If anything the suspension feels more solid than the car did stock from the factory.

The main knock I have against them is performance in sub-zero weather. On those super-cold days, (under 0 deg F) they feel like chunks of concrete until you get moving and they warm up. (I never noticed the stock shocks acting like this.)
Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Junkie

No offense, you won't get anywhere by asking other people what they think rides comfortably. That's strictly user-opinion. You are going to get such a huge mix of opinions in here. Most of them blaming the shocks for other problems and most not taking into account their quality of roads locally.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Cant be any worse then the stock Decrappin's.......
Old 09-11-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Firm. That is how mine ride.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys. I'm pretty much set on the combo. I can't express how bad the ride is. My prokit sits lower than sportlines. The PO must have heated or cut the springs. I'll give Sam a call tomorrow for his opinion and possibly place an order. (Feel free to chime in if you see this tonight, Sam)
Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

If you get them and install them PM me about your opinion because I want the SLP springs since I have the shocks already and I wanna know if SLP would be better than Strano, I want a firm ride but yet comfort. I don't know which spring will cause my car to feel bad. I am not to worried about my bilstiens getting run down since eventually in a year I will go Konis just for kicks.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I love mine, except the fact that the rear springs have started sagging in time and gotten a tad too soft for my liking. Adding a 12 bolt rear end and wrapping the upper and lower coil in heater hose has help raise the rear back up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SLP/Bilstein ride comfort