Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Panhard Bar/S60 question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panhard Bar/S60 question

I have a few questions about these panhard bars. They both claim on car adjustable. Can someone tell me the differences between these 2? Is the one with the "turnbuckle?" double adjustable? It is cheaper for some reason.
http://www.foundersperformance.com/p...-Bushings.html

Also, sometime next year I am wanting to do a aftermarket rear. I am leaning towards the S60. I already have aftermarket LCA's. Am I correct in saying that I will need the adjustable panhard bar with the S60? Will my non-adj LCA's fit the S60 rear?

thanks

Last edited by LS1WS6dreamer; 09-27-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1WS6dreamer
I have a few questions about these panhard bars. They both claim on car adjustable. Can someone tell me the differences between these 2? Is the one with the "turnbuckle?" double adjustable? It is cheaper for some reason.

Also, sometime next year I am wanting to do a aftermarket rear. I am leaning towards the S60. I already have aftermarket LCA's. Am I correct in saying that I will need the adjustable panhard bar with the S60? Will my non-adj LCA's fit the S60 rear?

thanks
Also curious.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

I used my aftermarket non-adjustable LCAs and PHB on my new S60.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the one with the turnbuclke is DA. Thanks for the reply arctic. How do you like the s60? Also, i am wondering if Strano swaybars and hardware will be easy to use on the s60? Wonder if the s60 added weight will have a negative effect on the sways?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are "on car" adjustable so there is no difference IMO only in how they accomplish it. I would stay away from the "turnbuckle" design as it has proven to be a point of failure and prone to bending.

I have a S60 granted I am only at the 200 mile mark towards breakin. Think of it as a really heavy 10 bolt with all the same features except the ease of failure. I believe most aftermarket rears will work with the nonadjustable LCA's, TA's and PHB. It is when you start putting larger wheels on when the adjustability maybe needed.

IMO I would stay away from the S60 if you are worried about handling. If you are not worried about hard launches and such a 12 bolt may be your best bet. If you are serious about Sam's swaybars call him and talk about the affect a rearend's weight has on them. To get a real understanding, I would talk to him and not solicit that info from here.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are running or plan on running a adjustable torque arm I would recommend a panhard bar that has at least one end with a rod end or Roto-Joint. This is because as you adjust pinion angle the rear end will rotate and a panhard bar with poly ends can tend to bind during this. I assume since you are planning on a S60 you will be running a adjustable torque arm.

Below are some other options for you to look at. I hope this helps!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...Path=7_138_106
Old 09-28-2012, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ssgunny
Both are "on car" adjustable so there is no difference IMO only in how they accomplish it. I would stay away from the "turnbuckle" design as it has proven to be a point of failure and prone to bending.

I have a S60 granted I am only at the 200 mile mark towards breakin. Think of it as a really heavy 10 bolt with all the same features except the ease of failure. I believe most aftermarket rears will work with the nonadjustable LCA's, TA's and PHB. It is when you start putting larger wheels on when the adjustability maybe needed.

IMO I would stay away from the S60 if you are worried about handling. If you are not worried about hard launches and such a 12 bolt may be your best bet. If you are serious about Sam's swaybars call him and talk about the affect a rearend's weight has on them. To get a real understanding, I would talk to him and not solicit that info from here.
I thought the turnbuckle looked like a weak point, but I wasn't sure how much stress is actually put on the PHB. I am not too concerned with handling. I just like the S60 because of its features and the weight doesn't bother me at all. I have done alot of reading on here over the years and the S60 seems to fit what I am looking for. I am just looking for more down the road info. Say I get a S60 and 5 years from then I want new swaybars thats the kind of questions I have. I also want to make sure I do not buy parts that will be useless when I get the aftermarket rear down the road.

Also thankyou UMI for responding to the thread. I will look into what you linked me to and do some more thinking.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the black "turnbuckle" one. It looks like a weak point, but it's larger diameter than you would think. The bolts are so big, I had to buy a set of jumbo adjustable wrenches to set it. My crescent wrenches only went up to 1". I doubt it will bend in my application, but maybe if you drag race with slicks and are making a lot of horsepower, it could be the weak link?
Old 09-28-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eb110americana
I have the black "turnbuckle" one. It looks like a weak point, but it's larger diameter than you would think. The bolts are so big, I had to buy a set of jumbo adjustable wrenches to set it. My crescent wrenches only went up to 1". I doubt it will bend in my application, but maybe if you drag race with slicks and are making a lot of horsepower, it could be the weak link?
Do you have the poly/poly or rod ends or which setup do ya have?
Old 09-28-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine is just like the first link you posted, poly/poly. I have Strano springs, Koni shocks, and Strano anti-roll bars. I replaced the rear control arm bushings with Moog solid 1LE style rubber but kept the arms stock. The PHB has the only poly bushings on my car (other than the antiroll bar shackles). I replaced all of the front bushings with Moog units as well, plus cheaper balljoints and outer tie rods. For the poly ends, I purchased a tube of
Super Lube Super Lube
(the best for greasing poly zerc fittings) and a grease gun. So far, no problems with squeaks.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually the factory components or direct replacement aftermarket parts will fit your S60.

If you are trying to get the best handling, the UMI combination control arms with roto-joints on 1 side & poly on the other end will prevent binding & still not be too noisy on the street. Personally the adjustable lower arms will allow you to tweak the wheelbase if you are trying to fit the biggest tire in the wheel wells.

I just installed a S60 last week with UMI adjustable lower control arms & relocation brackets. Everything fit well.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have seen two instances where the turnbuckle design has bent (one was a thread on here). Yes both were at the strip on stout cars. Look at BMR, UMI, Spohn, etc and their on car adjustable designs. Whoever made the two that I am aware of that failed were an earlier design and not made any more...I believe. I am not saying Founders is bad I would stay away from that design. They have great prices and I just installed their upper PHB...nice piece. BTW, both my UMI LCA's and PHB are poly/rod and virtually have no noise.

Ok, when I hear Strano I think handling although his rear 22 and 25mm hollow swaybars (one or both are adjustable) could be stiff enough for the strip depending on the HP of the car.

I say pick a direction you want to go and ask questions. My goal is 10's, I do want street manners but really care only about straight line performance and I am on a budget. This led me to the S60 and a Spohn 25mm solid rear swaybar. Both are heavy but in the rear and should do the job. If money was not a concern I would have went with a MWC 9" and an anti roll bar. Good luck with your decisions.

Last edited by ssgunny; 09-29-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

The panhard rods with failures have the turnbuckle in the center of the panhard rod. The highest bending load is in the middle of the rod which is why ours is off to side. The other cause of failure could be that the turnbuckle wasn't strong enough on those panhard rods. Our turnbuckles are hot forged using 4340 chrome-moly, formed rolled threaded (not cut), clear zinc plated, and then stress relieved and heat treated to 150,000 psi strength. They are same strength as a grade 8 bolt when we are done.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Founders Performance
The panhard rods with failures have the turnbuckle in the center of the panhard rod.
I believe you are correct. So why do you offer two styles of on car adjustable designs? Just curious.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:41 PM
FormerVendor

Customers tend to like the one-spot adjustment of the turnbuckle style along with the cost overall cost savings.

Quick Reply: Panhard Bar/S60 question