Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How much are you guys paying to have the 2010+ camaro rotors opened to 70.6mm??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent the better part of a morning on the phone hunting a machine shop that would do this very thing without a crazy high fee. I was quoted prices from 50 for the pair to 100 each. Some wouldnt even look at this project and refused to give me a price at all. Even with the challenge of finding someone to modify the 5th gen rotors, I still feel like it is the best way to go. I am not a fan of using a spacer to mount the caliper, and not having full pad contact with the C6 Z06 rotors seems like taking a few steps back to have cool looking brakes.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyducati
I spent the better part of a morning on the phone hunting a machine shop that would do this very thing without a crazy high fee. I was quoted prices from 50 for the pair to 100 each. Some wouldnt even look at this project and refused to give me a price at all. Even with the challenge of finding someone to modify the 5th gen rotors, I still feel like it is the best way to go. I am not a fan of using a spacer to mount the caliper, and not having full pad contact with the C6 Z06 rotors seems like taking a few steps back to have cool looking brakes.
I felt the same way as you do, hence why I went the route of getting mine machined.

Now if we could only get someone on here to step up and help out people, that would be great.

Problem is, the rotors are heavy, and to ship them back and forth has got to be expensive, so finding a local place that won't rob you is the difficult task.

Wheel spacers should be here by the early next week, so hopefully I'll have it done by next weekend.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im sure if asked, BrakeMotive would do it for a decent price if you buy the rotors from them.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd be up for the machining. Just don't have the capital to buy 50 rotors and sit on them. I could inventory about 5 car sets at a time though...
Old 10-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait, correct me if I am wrong, as I am about to ebay this all right now. So when you use the z06 rotors you need the washers for spacing the caliper correctly. With the Gen 5 rotors you do not need the washers to space the caliper correctly you just need to modify the inner diameter of the rotor to match the hub?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slowside
Wait, correct me if I am wrong, as I am about to ebay this all right now. So when you use the z06 rotors you need the washers for spacing the caliper correctly. With the Gen 5 rotors you do not need the washers to space the caliper correctly you just need to modify the inner diameter of the rotor to match the hub?
Correct. Here's the thing, they designed the rotors for the 5th gen camaro to work with the 4 piston brembo rotors. The Z06 rotors were designed to work with the 6-piston calipers. As such, when you use the 4-piston brembos on the Z06 rotor, not only do you need to space the caliper to get it centered over the rotor, but the pads do not make 100% contact with the rotor face. To me, I'd rather open up the rotor hub than use a rotor that doesn't take full advantage of the pad face.

Quick Reply: How much are you guys paying to have the 2010+ camaro rotors opened to 70.6mm??